Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line S RWD HP
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having any troubles with the heated side mirrors? I noticed the other day that one of the mirrors hadn't cleared as well as the other so I wanted to run a test.

It's 4 degrees outside so I pre-heated the vehicle. There was no heating inside the vehicle (another issue covered on another post) and when I used a laser thermometer thingy both side mirrors were about 15-16 degrees.

I completed a short 5-10 minute journey and returned home.

When I measured the temperature again, the mirrors were just above zero degrees.

I sat in the vehicle for a while and the mirrors climbed to about 3 degrees and then stopped climbing. It was still about 4 degrees outside.

As soon as I put the front windscreen on defrost the mirrors instantly started climbing back up and were past 7 degrees in a matter of seconds.

Surely the heated mirrors want to be on all the time right, to prevent a build up of sleet and snow and to ensure surface water slides off.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is anyone else having any troubles with the heated side mirrors? I noticed the other day that one of the mirrors hadn't cleared as well as the other so I wanted to run a test.

It's 4 degrees outside so I pre-heated the vehicle. There was no heating inside the vehicle (another issue covered on another post) and when I used a laser thermometer thingy both side mirrors were about 15-16 degrees.

I completed a short 5-10 minute journey and returned home.

When I measured the temperature again, the mirrors were just above zero degrees.

I sat in the vehicle for a while and the mirrors climbed to about 3 degrees and then stopped climbing. It was still about 4 degrees outside.

As soon as I put the front windscreen on defrost the mirrors instantly started climbing back up and were past 7 degrees in a matter of seconds.

Surely the heated mirrors want to be on all the time right, to prevent a build up of sleet and snow and to ensure surface water slides off.
As far as I know they are directly linked to the rear window heating.
If that’s on then the wing mirrors are on.

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line S RWD HP
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info!

Seems a little bit silly to tie them into the rear window. Surely they should be temperature controlled. Soon as the icy conditions warning comes on they should start heating.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Surely they should be temperature controlled. Soon as the icy conditions warning comes on they should start heating.
That would be a bit wasteful of battery power, there are plenty of times when it's cold out, but the mirrors are clear. My current car has a switch to enable them, but when they're enabled they only come on with the rear defroster. So I can operate the rear defroster by itself, or the mirrors with the defroster, but never the mirrors by themselves. And frankly, it's pretty rare that my mirrors need defrosting. Probably fewer than 10 times in as many years, though of course it helps that I have a garage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts