Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This news just started appearing various places today......

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jus sayin' we had a high pitch noise in a truck recently - turned out to be the amplifiers in the sound system. It varied with speed and volume. Came from the amps and speakers.
The Kia Deluxe sound systems AMP(s) is/are in the rear where this sound is also coming from aren't they?
- Jus' sayin.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i swore i replied to this already. The high pitch noise is the switching frequency for the inverters to convert DC back to Ac for the motors. The previous Kia EVs did this. kia doesnt care to fix it and changing that frequency will change your efficiency. New noises for new modes of transport. EVs are quiet so there is more to hear. That’s my outlook.

·
Registered
F.E. 208/1500 Matte Gray $5K markup (Oxendale Kia)
183 Posts
I have a gt line s awd ev6
It has two “noises”
High pitch at highway speed like a human dog whistle
The other bad sound is only on awd models when the rear motor only is engaged, it is most apparent at 30 mph and sounds like a baseball card in bicycle spokes
We have a forum already going for the second sound.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i swore i replied to this already. The high pitch noise is the switching frequency for the inverters to convert DC back to Ac for the motors. The previous Kia EVs did this. kia doesnt care to fix it and changing that frequency will change your efficiency. New noises for new modes of transport. EVs are quiet so there is more to hear. That’s my outlook.
Sadly the front motor disengaging is not an electrical issue.

·
Registered
183 Posts
This news just started appearing various places today......

The low frequency noise

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sadly the front motor disengaging is not an electrical issue.
I’m starting to go crazy from the noise chatter. All the ev6 groups are on about the front clutch noise and the inverter noise. I accept all the noises i hear from the car unless they become detrimental. I habe the same warranty as everyone else. The clutch noise makes sense to me so it doesnt bother me. I said this somewhere else. I do not want to take my car in to the dealer to be the first guinea pig. While being the guinea pig the techs would annoyed to be tearing into their first ev6 to figure out the clutch pack issue and since it would be a warranty job they probably wouldnt be paid full rate for doing exploratory surgery on the car. On top of that for the most part when things get taken apart a lot of the time they dont get put back the same. I’ll keep my inverter whine and gear noise in my giant mechanical device made by humans. I’m at 2500 miles and i’ve had the car since the 12th . I will be at 4500 by mid April easy. If things get louder i’ll worry till then my car is awesome even with its goofy quirks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Eh, my Bolt made the same high pitch inverter noise at low speeds as well. Normal. It's quiet enough to just turn up the radio and enjoy my tunes where it's covered up. That or just turn up NPR.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Eh, my Bolt made the same high pitch inverter noise at low speeds as well. Normal. It's quiet enough to just turn up the radio and enjoy my tunes where it's covered up. That or just turn up NPR.
Yup its just physics and people just want everything to be perfect based on their misconceptions. When they take it in for service most mechanics are deaf and wont even hear it… If they want to make multiple trips to the dealer just so they can be told that the dealer can’t hear it or it’s normal I guess we should let them go at it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ok, so I watched that Korean video. I have nothing that sounds like that high pitched tone.
I assure you it’s there you just haven’t noticed it or its not that big of a deal. Mine does it right when i expect it to. I’m not going to jump out of my car when it’s heard and I’m not trying to break the damned internet over it. Still love my car. Silly people

·
Registered
496 Posts
Not to dismiss the concerns over what folks believe to be "not normal/expected" noises, but you think with all the commotion being raised about some of these noises you'd think these noises were on par with piston knock or something really loud AND bad.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My noise but its not "the clutch" as someone has said. Love the sound of the VESS, but the rubbing vibrating noise needs to go. I am not sure why you have to be so defensive about the noises. You must work for the dealership. This was the cr*p I had to deal with when owning my 2019 Niro EV, nothing out of the norm they would say. The Niro had a heavy drumming when it coasted to a stop. Like that noise, it wasn't there when I first bought it. I have a Tesla Model Y and the motors are quiet. I can listen to music, I don't have some sound from the motor being present when driving it. To me and how much I paid for the car, I feel like I have the right to say there is something wrong.

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,406 Posts
I assure you it’s there you just haven’t noticed it or its not that big of a deal. Mine does it right when i expect it to. I’m not going to jump out of my car when it’s heard and I’m not trying to break the damned internet over it. Still love my car. Silly people
Maybe it does, I don’t know. I haven’t heard it. Maybe because I’m just always driving too fast.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts