Kia EV Forum banner

High Frequency noise!

14K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  JHMartin 
#1 ·
#8 ·
I have a gt line s awd ev6
It has two “noises”
High pitch at highway speed like a human dog whistle
The other bad sound is only on awd models when the rear motor only is engaged, it is most apparent at 30 mph and sounds like a baseball card in bicycle spokes
We have a forum already going for the second sound.

#5 ·
Jus sayin' we had a high pitch noise in a truck recently - turned out to be the amplifiers in the sound system. It varied with speed and volume. Came from the amps and speakers.
The Kia Deluxe sound systems AMP(s) is/are in the rear where this sound is also coming from aren't they?
- Jus' sayin.

#7 ·
i swore i replied to this already. The high pitch noise is the switching frequency for the inverters to convert DC back to Ac for the motors. The previous Kia EVs did this. kia doesnt care to fix it and changing that frequency will change your efficiency. New noises for new modes of transport. EVs are quiet so there is more to hear. That’s my outlook.

#19 · (Edited)
My noise but its not "the clutch" as someone has said. Love the sound of the VESS, but the rubbing vibrating noise needs to go. I am not sure why you have to be so defensive about the noises. You must work for the dealership. This was the cr*p I had to deal with when owning my 2019 Niro EV, nothing out of the norm they would say. The Niro had a heavy drumming when it coasted to a stop. Like that noise, it wasn't there when I first bought it. I have a Tesla Model Y and the motors are quiet. I can listen to music, I don't have some sound from the motor being present when driving it. To me and how much I paid for the car, I feel like I have the right to say there is something wrong.

#25 ·
I had a sound like that in my Tesla MS. It only occurred when the radio was on and tuned to AM. The electromagnetic interference was almost certainly to blame for this and was the reason most EVs have done away with the AM band. I'm assuming the issue in the EV6 is not this, but dang, it sure sounded like this in the MS.

#29 ·
I have the Ioniq 5 in the US and I can hear the high pitched noise up to 7 mph and then silence after that speed. I had it checked out as most people in the Facebook group didn't hear it, but by the time I got to the dealership, it was barely audible. It seems to get quieter the longer you drive it which I found odd and it may also have to do with outside temperature. It's still there which makes sense as I do agree it's the inverter. I have just gotten used to it and found that the radio and fan on medium drowns it out completely until the car warms up. Someone said that changing the frequency would affect the efficiency, which makes sense, but out of curiosity, is it even possible for someone to change the frequency to make it less efficient or would it just need a whole new inverter with a different frequency calibrated which sounds super expensive for a relatively minor issue?

I'm also looking into adding sound dampening to see if it could make it just be a little quieter in the morning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.