Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious is it being an EV (without a slip-differential?) is somehow better or worse for traction in mud or gravel, compared to a traditional 4x4, say a Tiguan 4x4 (ICE obviously). Not going to take the EV6 off roading but on country lanes etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a vacation home in the mountains. There is a fairly steep 1 mile private gravel road to reach my place. I always put my vehicles in 4wd when going up the road, because it helps prevent wheel spin and ruts in the gravel. My EV6 and does a very good job of applying power to the front wheels on the gravel road (normal driving mode).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just curious is it being an EV (without a slip-differential?) is somehow better or worse for traction in mud or gravel, compared to a traditional 4x4, say a Tiguan 4x4 (ICE obviously). Not going to take the EV6 off roading but on country lanes etc.

Thanks!
with the the torque that an EV produces and the low center of gravity due to the battery, you should be able to climb a wall.

·
Registered
22 EV6, Wind AWD/Tech Gray/Gray
37 Posts
Last AWD I had was over 20 years ago. It was an Audi A6. At times when at a steady cruise and you'd lift the throttle you'd feel the AWD system binding...felt odd like there was play in the system.

I don't notice any play in the drive system with the EV6.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
195 Posts
My wife has a Mazda CX-5 AWD with 2.5 direct injection naturally aspirated engine no turbo. The CX-5 is a bit sluggish and underpowered for it's size/weight. As fvov was saying the cars without a limited slip differential use traction control to apply brakes to the spinning wheel in order to compensate. I think TFL channel on YouTube tested a few cars with AWD when various wheels are slipping, they used rollers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts