Kia EV6 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
The app, Car Scanner, with paid option, very inexpensive, with an OBDLink CX can give you a lot of the info you’re looking for in real-time. See any of Bjorn’s videos for what you can expect.
From what I can tell, based on experience with ABRP and a compatible OBD2 device and viewing too many YouTube videos, the additional info provided by the OBD2 device is only visible on your phone app and is not visible on the car app. I am being asked to accept that the range estimate displayed on the car app reflects this additional information from the OBD2 device. However, even with a premium subscription and the OBD2 device, the estimates are too conservative on expected state of charge. I always arrive with more than ABRP calculates. IMO, ABRP is too much work for inaccurate information. Knowing your car and its range under different conditions and planning your trip based on that knowledge will serve you better than relying on ABRP. I personally find PlugShare to be simpler to use and a great tool to plan out a trip.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For me it uses 0.43 kw when fully cooled, so yeah, it really doesn't matter. Especially when it does load faster than the others. I'd rather be comfy than "efficient".

I'm using one, a OBDLink CX as that's recommended on the ABRP website. That said, it doesn't support as many other features than ABPR so it's really a matter of getting the one you want/need for the thing you want/need it for.

What OBD2adapter did you use? Did you make sure it was supported by the ABRP? What info did you miss/wanted to see? If the battery info etc is the main reason for it I'd guess you'd be better off with another app rather than ABRP, they don't really care to show the info but they use it in the background.
I just got in my car after it was parked so the external temp was reading well over 100°F. Even mild AC est nearly 30mi less on GoM. I'm no scientist, but I can nearly guarantee that was a gross overestimation. I get that the worst loss would be while cooling the cabin on a hot day, but I have to think the algorithm is just saying "it's hot AF and you want it to be less hot so you lose xx miles" rather than actually deducing a more specific estimate based on climate settings, internal temp, etc.

That said, after about two weeks of ownership, even I would have been able to confidently drive farther based on my SoC rather than GoM readout. Thankfully, I only had about 10 mi to travel and started at 66% haha

·
Registered
1 Posts
We drive hyundia kona 64kw with heat pump. Hyundia & Kia see to under estimate there vehicle range firstly I am not an eco drive the a/c is on winter and summer it's never off.
The worst range we have ever had is 305 British miles with 9٪ remaining the car performs great my partner who is more eco than me gets way better mileage.
We are going to look at the new niro ev last week it great as our communitor car.
Overall we think the group has got some good ev they make alot of other manufacture (tesla) look over priced and slow.

·
Registered
2023 Kia EV6 Wind RWD reservation
70 Posts
I just got in my car after it was parked so the external temp was reading well over 100°F. Even mild AC est nearly 30mi less on GoM. I'm no scientist, but I can nearly guarantee that was a gross overestimation.
I believe Kia and Hyundai's algorithm for the GOM only takes into account whether climate control is on, not what kind (heat or A/C) is on or what it's set to. I believe it'll count fan-only mode (no heat or A/C) as climate control being off. That's why its estimation is so wrong since it is using the higher energy use of heating in its calculation, even when you're only running the A/C.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We drive hyundia kona 64kw with heat pump. Hyundia & Kia see to under estimate there vehicle range firstly I am not an eco drive the a/c is on winter and summer it's never off.
The worst range we have ever had is 305 British miles with 9٪ remaining the car performs great my partner who is more eco than me gets way better mileage.
We are going to look at the new niro ev last week it great as our communitor car.
Overall we think the group has got some good ev they make alot of other manufacture (tesla) look over priced and slow.
Can I ask what a British mile is?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just got in my car after it was parked so the external temp was reading well over 100°F. Even mild AC est nearly 30mi less on GoM. I'm no scientist, but I can nearly guarantee that was a gross overestimation.
Yeah, remember the GOM checks your momentary consumption, so when you just get in the car it will blow everything on full power to try and reach the goal temp, then it will slow down the airflow etc to conserve energy, when you just get started it's at its peak of energy consumption and thus the GOM may display poorly

·
Registered
5 Posts
We just completed a painful 3,000 mile road trip in our all-electric Kia EV6. In this video I’ll share my experiences with charging, including those of broken chargers and having to wait, I’ll show you how the car performed with range and efficiency in extreme heat, and reveal if our worst fear of running out of battery and getting stranded by the side of the road, ever came true!

I did a road trip from Derby to Dingwall a distance of 500 miles. Set off with 100 percent battery. I stopped at Gretna green 350kw charges. The time it took to go for a comfort break and by a coffee the car was ready to go again covering the total journey with one charge and several comfort breaks. Btw long range ev6 rear wheel drive

·
Registered
3 Posts
After one road trip in my 2021 Audi E-tron I sold it the next week for a plug in hybrid. As the author of this article states the DC fast charge infrastructure needs to expand significantly (imho from 50,000 "hoses" to 500,000), we need much longer range (400 miles?) to compensate for 75 mph driving in heat/cold or elevation changes while staying in the 20-80% SOC. I'll prolly be ready to give BEV's another go in two or three years when the infrastructure and range challenges are addressed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just did a couple hundred mile road trip and averaged around 80-85 mph on the highway. You get around 2.5 mile/kwh. If anyone is interested in being very inefficient but quick, i thought I'd add my datapoint 😅

In theory, if infrastructure was readily available every 25-50 miles, the fastest way to travel may be to drive as quickly as possible and charger hop vs. driving slow and being very efficient.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did a couple hundred mile road trip and averaged around 80-85 mph on the highway. You get around 2.5 mile/kwh. If anyone is interested in being very inefficient but quick, i thought I'd add my datapoint 😅

In theory, if infrastructure was readily available every 25-50 miles, the fastest way to travel may be to drive as quickly as possible and charger hop vs. driving slow and being very efficient.
In Florida there currently are DC fast charging stations every 40 miles on the interstate, but inho this is inadequate. If your 250 mile BEV starts at an 80% SOC leaving one and you are driving at 75-80 mph you will have a comfortable range of about 120 miles assuming you want to discharge to a safe 30% SOC. This means you will have to stop at the third one coming up and pray it is functioning which is a chance and you don't have to wait 30 minutes because at that point you can't make it to the next one. imho a DC fast charge station need to be located every 10 miles on average. Not to mention if you prefer to take the back roads there are no DC fast chargers in Florida.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did a road trip from Derby to Dingwall a distance of 500 miles. Set off with 100 percent battery. I stopped at Gretna green 350kw charges. The time it took to go for a comfort break and by a coffee the car was ready to go again covering the total journey with one charge and several comfort breaks. Btw long range ev6 rear wheel drive
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that means you were driving between 50-60 mph the whole way because at 70-75mph your BEV has a range of 245 miles to a zero SOC if starting at 100% and that is in moderate temperature weather. Seems unbelievable 🤔

·
Registered
635 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that means you were driving between 50-60 mph the whole way because at 70-75mph your BEV has a range of 245 miles to a zero SOC if starting at 100% and that is in moderate temperature weather. Seems unbelievable 🤔
Why would you think it to be unbelievable? They indicated that they have a RWD and had one charging session during the trip; given that RWD stated range is ~300 miles, that 500-mile trip can be completed with one charging stop during the trip. Sure they didn't state what their average speed was during the trip but given that they're in the UK it seems plausible that they may have been driving at speeds not exceeding 70 mph for most of the trip.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just returning from 1000 mile round trip in the US (SW Ohio to eastern Pennsylvania). I also found that ABRP over estimated battery usage by ~25% on average.

Worse part was the charging infrastructure:
  • Annoying that people park crooked and take up 2 spots
  • Electrify America (EA) chargers cutting off at 80% sometimes. I tried another charge and it cut off after an additional 2%
  • EA chargers not always charging at max rate (could be car's battery condition)
    • For some stations I used, PlugShare had some user experiences showing that the 350kW chargers only getting to 115kW while the 150kW chargers there were getting up 150Kw.
      • Next time, need to submit a ticket with customer service
  • Entire EA stations unavailable
    • One EA station went offline between my initial trip planning (a few weeks ago) and before the trip started. Glad I checked station availability right before leaving. Had to replan, using another charging network
  • Volta stations not reliable
    • Volta has free 30 min DC fast charge sessions (I think 50 kW). I could not get 2 stations to work in 6 tries--charge started then immediately stopped. Then got locked out of their network since their system thought I got my 30 min charge. Customer service was useless--all they could do was document situation for tech support to contact me in 3 days.
      • I was concerned about the Volta experiences I saw on the PlugShare app for this location, so I ID'd a backup charger with EVgo. Slower DC charger (50 kW) but worked with no issues.
Besides the infrastructure frustrations, the EV6 is a good road trip car. With the semi-autonomous driving features and more frequent stops, we felt less tired at the end of a days drive.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts