Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've said on this board, I was not actually planning on taking delivery of our First Edition EV6 - we didn't really need a new car, after all - but after laying eyes on it at the dealer and test driving it, we fell for the car and decided on the spot to buy it. That was twelve days ago, on Saturday, Feb. 19.

Of course, the car had to be registered, and paperwork takes time, and moreover the following Monday was a holiday (with the RMV closed) so they told us that we could pick it up on Tuesday, Feb. 22. Easy enough, though it required taking a couple of hours out of my workday. We picked the car up, couldn't get the inspection sticker because their machine was down, and drove it to a detail shop to get PPF-wrapped.

That Thursday the detail shop told us the car was dead and wouldn't start. The dealer told us to tell them to jump it, which they did, successfully. Wrap was finally done over the weekend, but the car needed to be jumped again on Monday. I told the dealer we'd be bringing the car back on Tuesday to get its inspection sticker and that I wanted to make sure they would look at the battery and the car and try to diagnose what was wrong with it.

On Tuesday we bring the car over in the afternoon at the agreed-on time (again taking an hour out of my work day), but by the time they get us the inspection sticker, the senior tech has left for the day and they tell us we have to leave the car overnight. (Don't worry, he'll look at it first thing in the morning.) Wednesday I call for an update several times and leave messages, until finally, in the afternoon, the sales manager says "Oh, they already looked at it, it's been ready and waiting for you." Leave work again, hop back in the car and drive to the dealership. When we arrive, my wife is immediately told that, sorry, Kia corporate just called and wants to run remote diagnostics on the car. Can we come back tomorrow?

This afternoon I get another call from the dealer: they still haven't been able to schedule a call with Kia's technical support team, and don't know when they'll be able to. Maybe tomorrow! But maybe not tomorrow. They'll let us know.

Oh, should also note that in this process they made us re-sign all (all) of our purchase documents, because the first set had a rebate in the wrong place.

Look, I get that new tech often has teething issues, but how is this process acceptable on any major purchase, let alone a $60,000 car? I feel like I'm trapped in limbo between the dealer's sales team and service team, who don't seem to talk to each other, and Kia, who pokes its head out from behind the curtain like the Wizard of Oz whenever it chooses to.

Seriously, WTF?

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,766 Posts
Sorry to read your issues, its not great service and certainly not acceptable to be running around all the time, has the dealer offered you anything for your time running around, I would certainly be asking if it was me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Literally nothing. The latest as of this afternoon is that the dealer is waiting on Kia Corporate to tell them whether or not they can release our car back to us - they're not sure whether there are more tests to be run or not. As of now we don't even have a loaner.

I'm looking forward to driving my car eventually, but it's going to be a very, very, very long time before it stops pissing me off every single time I look at it (even after I get it back) that this is what the process has been like. I would tell everyone I know not to buy a Kia based on this experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As I've said on this board, I was not actually planning on taking delivery of our First Edition EV6 - we didn't really need a new car, after all - but after laying eyes on it at the dealer and test driving it, we fell for the car and decided on the spot to buy it. That was twelve days ago, on Saturday, Feb. 19.

Of course, the car had to be registered, and paperwork takes time, and moreover the following Monday was a holiday (with the RMV closed) so they told us that we could pick it up on Tuesday, Feb. 22. Easy enough, though it required taking a couple of hours out of my workday. We picked the car up, couldn't get the inspection sticker because their machine was down, and drove it to a detail shop to get PPF-wrapped.

That Thursday the detail shop told us the car was dead and wouldn't start. The dealer told us to tell them to jump it, which they did, successfully. Wrap was finally done over the weekend, but the car needed to be jumped again on Monday. I told the dealer we'd be bringing the car back on Tuesday to get its inspection sticker and that I wanted to make sure they would look at the battery and the car and try to diagnose what was wrong with it.

On Tuesday we bring the car over in the afternoon at the agreed-on time (again taking an hour out of my work day), but by the time they get us the inspection sticker, the senior tech has left for the day and they tell us we have to leave the car overnight. (Don't worry, he'll look at it first thing in the morning.) Wednesday I call for an update several times and leave messages, until finally, in the afternoon, the sales manager says "Oh, they already looked at it, it's been ready and waiting for you." Leave work again, hop back in the car and drive to the dealership. When we arrive, my wife is immediately told that, sorry, Kia corporate just called and wants to run remote diagnostics on the car. Can we come back tomorrow?

This afternoon I get another call from the dealer: they still haven't been able to schedule a call with Kia's technical support team, and don't know when they'll be able to. Maybe tomorrow! But maybe not tomorrow. They'll let us know.

Oh, should also note that in this process they made us re-sign all (all) of our purchase documents, because the first set had a rebate in the wrong place.

Look, I get that new tech often has teething issues, but how is this process acceptable on any major purchase, let alone a $60,000 car? I feel like I'm trapped in limbo between the dealer's sales team and service team, who don't seem to talk to each other, and Kia, who pokes its head out from behind the curtain like the Wizard of Oz whenever it chooses to.

Seriously, WTF?
I hear your buddy. I had an extremely bad experience with the Kia dealership and their sales people they know absolutely nothing about this vehicle and it is causing major issues I called Kia corporate in Irvine, California got them on the phone they gave me a $600 rebate for a new home charger because of all the miss-leading information, false promises and the fact that a $60,000 EV does not come with a single charging device. If you call the United States headquarters in Irvine, CA and tell them this experience and tell them how disappointing and the amount of time and money you lost from missing work etc.. I called corporate because of charging range, charging devices and the promises that the power adapter was "tesla charging adapter." And that for $60,000 it is extremely disappointing and that I had to install (2) level 2 home chargers (home $ work) they credited me $600 towards the second charger. They were really proactive, helpful and responsive to my complaints, disappointment of the lack of certain "things" they should be providing you when paying $60,000+. The kia dealerships also do not have the technology needed to service these cars and the lack of knowledgeable by all departments of the dealership especially the service techs who have NEVER worked on a pure EV. They aren't trained. Salesman had 2 hrs of training. Service technicians were provided videos and told to learn to do it. So they are really behind in that department.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That sucks. I'd tell the dealership that you want free oil changes for life!

JK, sorry I couldn't help myself. Be patient and take delivery of the car, and then write a scathing review on social media, Google, Yelp, etc. You will most likely be contacted by someone at the dealership and then explain to them how frustrated and time consuming the ordeal was. Let them know about the time missed from work, the issue with the car not starting, all of it. Monetize your frustrations and make them try to make it up to you. Given how the car was having starting issues, I think I'd was assurances via an extended warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts