Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. So I live in Toronto, Canada and I want at some point drive to Raleigh, North Carolina to visit my brother in my new EV6 (when I finally get it). I have never had an EV before so I am totally green and feeling I will have range anxiety if I cannot figure out how to map/route plan the 1200km drive. I am aware of all the apps and I know the EV6's nav can input fast charging stations along the route but I would really like some advice on how to do this. It seams that you cannot just use one app to do it all except for "A Better Route Planner".

Would any of you experienced EV owners advise me on what you all find the best/easiest least stressful way to do this? I am aware the trips will take more time and I expect time delays with charging stations not working or being occupied. What about just planning the distance and knowing the safest routes to drive to keep enough SoC for each segment of the trip.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line AWD Yacht Blue
144 Posts
Hello all. So I live in Toronto, Canada and I want at some point drive to Raleigh, North Carolina to visit my brother in my new EV6 (when I finally get it). I have never had an EV before so I am totally green and feeling I will have range anxiety if I cannot figure out how to map/route plan the 1200km drive. I am aware of all the apps and I know the EV6's nav can input fast charging stations along the route but I would really like some advice on how to do this. It seams that you cannot just use one app to do it all except for "A Better Route Planner".

Would any of you experienced EV owners advise me on what you all find the best/easiest least stressful way to do this? I am aware the trips will take more time and I expect time delays with charging stations not working or being occupied. What about just planning the distance and knowing the safest routes to drive to keep enough SoC for each segment of the trip.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
I was just planning an almost similar reverse trip, but from Philadelphia to Toronto!

Here's a really nice detail guide someone from the Ford MME forum wrote for using ABRP - ABRP_TUTORIAL (macheforum.com) From my own research, I plan the route using ABRP and then use plugshare.com to locate additional charging stations along the route, just in case the stations recommended by ABRP is not working. Plugshare also provides status/feedback/pics of the various chargers. You can also look for free chargers along the route. Set up accounts for various charging providers ahead of your trip - EA, Chargepoint, EVGo, Blink and install all their apps. The MME forum has a lot of active experienced users who have shared various trip planning tips etc. Check them out - Trip Reports / Journals / Logs | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently drove a couple of trips longer than the range. Initially I planned using ABRP, but in practice I just went and search for a fast charger along the route using the EV6's NAV. Just plan that you would have about 50 miles (80 km) left at the stop. You keep your battery above the 10% and you can fast charge to 80%. I just do not see any use of planning multiple short stops. In my experience I like to stop every 2 hours or so, for a leak and/or a coffee (isn't it recommended to take a 15 minutes break after every 2 hour driving?). EV6 loading while I am doing my break. At return EV6 is full (or almost full) and I am ready to go. Range anxiety is just an emotion ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your advice. I have been mapping out some theoretical routes and I plan to stop every 2 hours (approx 200km) just as I do for ICE cars. I am pleasantly surprised there are more than enough 350kw fast chargers all the way from Toronto to Raleigh. I think the key is figuring out routing from one charger to the other efficiently enroute. I find that some apps have variables that show dc fast chargers on some routes and other apps don't even though the routes are the same

I do have some range anxiety already even thought I don't own an EV yet. Also I think just like any car, one has to drive their car for a while to get a feel and sense to how far you can drive your car in your style of driving. I have always expected my cars to run out of fuel sooner than the estimated rage. Hopefully the EV6's estimation in car will be more accurate than the EPA range values.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line RWD
139 Posts
Thank you for your advice. I have been mapping out some theoretical routes and I plan to stop every 2 hours (approx 200km) just as I do for ICE cars. I am pleasantly surprised there are more than enough 350kw fast chargers all the way from Toronto to Raleigh. I think the key is figuring out routing from one charger to the other efficiently enroute. I find that some apps have variables that show dc fast chargers on some routes and other apps don't even though the routes are the same

I do have some range anxiety already even thought I don't own an EV yet. Also I think just like any car, one has to drive their car for a while to get a feel and sense to how far you can drive your car in your style of driving. I have always expected my cars to run out of fuel sooner than the estimated rage. Hopefully the EV6's estimation in car will be more accurate than the EPA range values.
Don't expect it to be accurate for a while when you first get it. It has to learn your driving habits (including what accessories you turn on and how often).

·
Registered
183 Posts
How do you tell ARBP to look for Tesla destination chargers (using a Tesla to J-1777 adapter) but avoid Superchargers?
You may want to use the tesla App as this is also needed to pay and it shows the Tesla charging stations that can be used by non-tesla cars.
In Europe only a selections of Testla chargers are open to non-tesla cars and it requires the app to start charging

·
Registered
60 Posts
You may want to use the tesla App as this is also needed to pay and it shows the Tesla charging stations that can be used by non-tesla cars.
In Europe only a selections of Testla chargers are open to non-tesla cars and it requires the app to start charging
Is the Tesla supercharger network open to non Teslas in Canada and the US? I thought it was still only piloting in Europe?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Is the Tesla supercharger network open to non Teslas in Canada and the US? I thought it was still only piloting in Europe?
I do not think either, but it was as a response to @ElevenEleven He/She is from the US and asked about Tesla charges showing up?
I think it is indeed only in Europe. And Today Tesla opened in my country almost all charger for non-tesla drivers :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts