Kia EV Forum banner

How's your paint holding up? Chips? Swirls?

17K views 69 replies 27 participants last post by  Mgodfrey1 
Mine's been sitting in a body shop for two weeks as of tomorrow due to paint blemish issues from PDI and/or carelessness. Was told by the dealership manager that I will be compensated at least one car payment for my inconvenience; however, still no decision on how they plan to rectify the damage--they are clearly trying to avoid having to repaint the entire vehicle, but based on my untrained observation I don't see how they can rectify the issue without having to repaint; mine is the Steel Matte Gray, so not a walk in the park as far as seeing if they can just simply polish out the blemish.

I bet they're trying everything to avoid re-painting because a) expense and b) it's probably harder to match repainted panels when it's not just colour but also texture that you're trying to match.

Kia had better learn awful quick that if they want to sell premium cars at premium prices they better damn well provide a premium experience and premium post-sales service to their customers.
Got my car back; as I figured, they could not remove the blemishes. Service manager did tell me that they sent out another customer's matte finish EV6 to a more "experienced" body shop (Caliber Collision) to see what they can do, then depending on the outcome they may either have the same thing done to mine or else have little choice but to repaint.

I checked my driver’s side piano black finish and it already has scratches. I don’t have rings on my finger. What could cause the scratches? Other ppl’s rings? (I didn’t check before I took the car in for service for delivery issues).

This is pretty terrible. I’ve had piano black trim on Toyotas and they have held up much better. My car isn’t even a month old. Oye.
Yeah the piano black finish exterior trim scratches easily; even a somewhat-agressive use of a microfiber cloth will create fine swirl/scratch marks; the body shop that tried to fix the blemishes on my car did get rid of most but not all of the black trim swirl marks.

I have some of the same plastic shipping wrap blemishes on the hood. i'm usually too busy to leave the car with them for a period of time.
Got mine back earlier this past week--needless to say they could not fix it, as I suspected. Dealership has sent another customer's matte-finish EV6 with similar damage to a more knowledgable body shop (Caliber Collision); depending on the outcome they may or may not wind up sending mine there too. At least for now it's back in my hands--I told the service advisor there's no way I could accept having my EV6 sitting in some body shop lot for weeks on end, while in the meantime I'd still have to be making car payments.

I have the Midnight Blue and after my first wash and polish I noticed what appears to be shipping blemishes from a cover or something on both sides of the hood over the wheel wells on the high spots. It's going in for a punchlist of items this week including this.
That is more or less exactly what's (and where) on my Steel Matte Gray EV6 as well; another customer's matte finish EV6 with similar blemish issues is at a body shop to see if they can fix it without having to repaint. Personally I have little hope that they'll be able to avoid having to repaint but if the issue with the other customer's vehicle can't be corrected w/o repainting then the dealer may have to accept having to go with repainting the entire vehicle in my case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.