Kia EV Forum banner

HVAC dealer fix?

14K views 91 replies 22 participants last post by  victorp1511 
#1 ·
I saw this video posted on the Joy of EV6 channel.

I've been having seemingly random issues with the HVAC - generally car refusing to stay warm with auto demist on, with auto demist off stays warm on auto climate but goes cold if front demist pressed.

Anyone else having issues and anyone spoken to dealer/had a fix applied? Will speak to mine.

Mark.

#13 ·
Looks like an internal memo/email, Highly doubt they would send all dealers actual letters about it, or branded emails, why would someone fake such a document anyway?. Let's keep our fingers crossed it is happening, will improve those charger times and give us UK folks some heat

#16 ·
I found out that KCE21- refers to an internal Kia system bulletin for 2021, KCE20 for 2020 and so on so this code likely refers to some type of internal Kia knowledge article on a Kia system, that print out letter is maybe a direct printout from that system?.

Also while chatting to a Kia technician today, I found out we as owners can update EV6 navigation and head unit software ourselves using https://update.kia.com/EU/E, however, please use this will caution if you haven't done something like this before as I understand from ICE BMW & Audi USB updates in the past if it goes wrong, it's a trip to the dealers to fix it and maybe a cost involved and since these are basically computers, it could even lead to your EV not being able to drive there to get help..... And once the software is on, it's on, no rolling back to a previous version, so I have been told.

The question is... Does this update include what we are looking for, HVAC fixes?. I can see anything about that... mostly UI changes in the head unit UI, map changes, radio fixes etc. A whole list of stuff from Notice | Official Kia Motors Navigation Update Website

It may be likely those who have their cars already have this update? those whose cars are on order and have been on a ship to the UK since...September? have not had this update yet. Maybe just maybe looking for updates is included in the dealers PDI checks and we would get it anyway.

#19 ·
Also found out that there are fixes not listed above for a bug relating to the charging flap, some type of heating rod issue and some type of front camera calibration all to be done before handover of cars, maybe these are the fixes from the letter posted above?. No one can confirm though at this stage, waiting game :)

#21 ·
:ROFLMAO: Radio silence/cancellation from Kia dealers is exactly right! all dealers in my experience. I almost expected Kia's mistakes with EV heating to be eliminated in the Soul EV, but actually, we still see them in the EV6. There are only 7 years between these cars almost. Does no one check the heating at the Kia quality department before shipping the cars, South Korea gets cold as well, surely someone checked this :)

#23 ·
Ahh yeah like the virtual cockpit, I wanted to get this in the A4 that sitting outside my house not being driven, but the tech pack for it was £1700+, very cool feature to have, would be nice to be able to switch it to the driver's side screen, behind the steering wheel as well. Does Kia Navigation show in on the drive side screen or HUD?. The driver side screen is not touch-sensitive as far as I understand.

#28 ·
No idea, I just noticed the slight date differences, I asked over in the other thread where on Twitter this was seen. May well be the same version as the date was 12/11/21. Worth checking View attachment 1132

Also check here KIA NAVIGATION MAP UPDATE > Notifications for software version and map version numbers
Seems to be the same one. I updated from here and is still the 12/11 update - Notice | Official Kia Motors Navigation Update Website

Same version number as you posted!

#30 ·
No! Although is battery preheat the same as cabin preheat?
I’ve never seen an option to just preheat the battery via the app or in the onboard system.

It’s either full climate control (which doesn’t work apart from steering wheel and mirrors) or nothing!

#31 ·
The battery preheat seems to be related to winter time only when the high voltage battery temperature is low, so turning this one preheats the battery before a charge or is supposed to speed up charging time and prevent coldgate. See KIA EV6 Online Manual in Eng

You can select or deselect Winter mode.
The Winter mode is efficient during the winter time when the high voltage battery temperature is low.
This mode is recommended to improve driving and DC charging performances during winter by raising the battery temperature to an adequate level.
However, the driving distance may be reduced as the energy is required to increase battery temperature.
Also, if the battery temperature is low during driving or when scheduled air conditioner/heater is activated, this mode is operated to improve driving performance.
However, the mode is not operated to ensure driving distance when the battery level is low.
The cabin preheat issue seems related to this Kia letter that's going about, lots of people saying take eco mode off, heating eco mode off, buy a jacket :), try sports mode and turn up heating see if this works?. Probs a lot more to it than this though.

#33 ·
The battery preheat seems to be related to winter time only when the high voltage battery temperature is low, so turning this one preheats the battery before a charge or is supposed to speed up charging time and prevent coldgate. See KIA EV6 Online Manual in Eng

The cabin preheat issue seems related to this Kia letter that's going about, lots of people saying take eco mode off, heating eco mode off, buy a jacket :), try sports mode and turn up heating see if this works?. Probs a lot more to it than this though.
Ah ok. I looked into the winter mode and apparently it only kicks in when temps are -15 Celsius or below. So this will never even be an issue for me!

I have tried every permutation to get preheat to work and none of them have been successful.
heating while driving isn’t as bad. Sometimes it will just randomly stop and I nearly have to press every button on the climate control console to try to get it working again.
But generally the car does warm when it’s supposed to 80% of the time.

still for a £40k+ car I would want this at 100%!

#32 ·
I saw comments like this AC heating

“Car was at dealer's this morning, fault codes were found relating to the heating, turns out there are numerous reports on Kia's internal system on this issue and a replacement "air-conditioning inverter" is being produced which should resolve the issue, I hope they pull their finger out, 3C this morning, heating set to 27C and cold air starts coming out. I don't seem able to have heating for more than 5 - 10 mins before it starts blowing cold.”

So looks like a hardware rather than software problem. Could be a cold winter for some of us!

#35 ·
Agreed, not a cheap car and something so silly should have been fixed, hope it is just teething problems for the EV6 for now. Get the old ice scraper out :) had to scrape my car this morning, poor Audi takes 15mins to defrost the windscreen with fumes coming out while I am doing this as the car need started before it gets up to heat :) also not a cheap car 30k+. I would expect some type of preheating for free like Kia, but got to pay for Audi connect to do this if the car even has it, not sure...... no thanks Audi, should have been free :). Glad things are working while driving, most of the time. Poor news on Wintermode, you would have to live somewhere very cold to even use this at -15..... even though coldgate seems an issue at normal UK winter temps as well, 0-5 degrees. Kia should adjust this Winter mode to kick in at warmer temps to help.

#37 ·
Absolutely. As long as they take the feedback onboard and fix the obvious issues then it’s all good as generally I love the car. My concern is I get more information from this forum than I do from my dealer. It’s almost like they get their info from me and not the other way around 😂

I came from 2019 audi q3 so understand how frustrating the ice scraping etc can be and the 10 mins for it to heat up.
The best bit of the ev6 is how quick and how hot the heated steering wheel gets.
Makes me not realise quite so much how cold the car can be. I feel for the passengers though 😁

#39 ·
Wow, that's a lot for free. I got nothing, however, the old salesman has left and a new person is taking over, I might start to ask for things :). They were nice enough to offer me an amazing deal on my A4 Avant, much much more than anyone else but wouldn't move on the EV6 pricing or EV charger install, I asked :), they did have a special Kia Pod Point deal, £501 installed after UK wide £350 grant (before Scottish £250 cashback), generally lower than public pricing they say, special price for Kia EV buyers but with March 2022 install! would have cost me £250 after cashback, however, found a local company that installed an Easee EV charger in Balck for just over £600 after UK wide grant, and after Scottish cashback, it will be £350 all in. Not bad and with a quicker December install date.

I'll be giving them a quick call today, £40-50k car should at least come with car mats for free, and a boot liner chucked in.

#40 ·
absolutely! They were reluctant to give me anything but knew I was serious about buying the car so I said simply as a sign of good faith from you this is what I want and I will put a deposit down today, and got it!
think the timing was good. Asking after deposit wouldn’t have worked nor do I think asking at the very start before things were serious!

Ah you get the Scottish grant too. Nice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.