Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the car about 2 weeks now and have mostly been leaving it set to auto climate / driver only and it's been fine for just me. Had the wife and kids with me yesterday and it was around 30F outside, so wanted to heat the cabin faster than usual and I used the manual fan speed for the first time. Even with it set to face only and on speed 8, it only felt about as forceful as other cars on their middle fan speed- has anyone else noticed this?

It eventually warmed the cabin, just slower that I would have expected on high. The "eco climate" setting was not checked (not even sure what that really does) and the drive mode was normal. If this really is as hard as the fan an blow I'll be interested to see how quickly the cabin can cool on a hot summer day...

·
Registered
209 Posts
There is a learning curve with the HVAC system within the EV6. Notwithstanding the issues with heating, it’s very much a glow rather than a blow and I suspect that the entire heating logic is different (and possibly more efficient) than we’re used to.

I’ve certainly seen it work much better around 18°c to heat in the winter than most HVAC which will just blow cold

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,406 Posts
Do you have it in Winter mode? This will affect its performance as well. I’m in So Cal and didn’t feel it was necessary so I turned winter mode off.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a learning curve with the HVAC system within the EV6. Notwithstanding the issues with heating, it’s very much a glow rather than a blow and I suspect that the entire heating logic is different (and possibly more efficient) than we’re used to.

I’ve certainly seen it work much better around 18°c to heat in the winter than most HVAC which will just blow cold
More of a glow than a blow is a good way to put it, definitely a softer fan than I'm used to. Definitely logic behind all of it (more than any other car I've had), turning "Driver Only" on bumps the fan speed down to maintain the same airflow.

While I can't speak to the issue of heating, we just drove in 95+ degree heat the A/C was more than adequate.
Good to hear, all of the comments I saw were about heat so glad the A/C is up to the task.

Do you have it in Winter mode? This will affect its performance as well. I’m in So Cal and didn’t feel it was necessary so I turned winter mode off.
Nope winter mode is off, doesn't seem to do a lot from what I've read on here.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the anemometer out to see if it was just me, and the answer if sort-of. Definitely a softer fan than I’ve had in other vehicles but the actual flow is about average from the other cars I could check:
  • EV6 Driver Only (rears open): 3.8 m/s
  • EV6 Driver Only (rears closed): 4.0 m/s
  • EV6 all face vents (rears closed): 4.5 m/s
  • Wife's '19 Subaru Ascent: 4.4 m/s (has separate blower for 3rd zone though so rear would adjust quickly)
  • MIL's '19 Santa Fe (rears open): 4.6 m/s
  • '15 Silverado: 5.8 m/s, recirc 6.3 m/s (!)

The Silverado was my old truck that I spent most of my time in the last 7 years so I guess I got used to the blast of air from that. I think I'll leave the rears closed unless the kids are in the EV6 though just to get the slight boost up front.

It will still take some getting used to though, the best I can tell it tries to use the heat pump as much as possible before kicking the electric heater on (which makes sense). You can see the climate power consumption is in the 1-1.5kW range when it's just the heat pump but hits nearly 4kW when the electric heater runs. It's still an effective system for sure when set to max- the air coming out of the vents was 85F (and still climbing) before I got overcooked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts