Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never owned a new car before. I have no idea how this tiny nick wound up on my driver's door. The pros outweigh the cons, but one con is fixating on crap like this bc my brand new car (2 weeks) has a scratch that I can't do anything about.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Grille Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
139 Posts
I hear ya. I drove 4 hours to get home after picking up our Wind AWD. I saw a rock chip in the hood the next morning. I was dejected for a few days. Now to make the touch up paint pen look decent.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a scratch on my passenger door from another car. The dealer fortunately repairs those free of charge. But the door dent on the driver side, well I'm out of luck on that one. I learn to let it go, it sucks to look at but sucks to stress about it too. I'm happy to have a car and not pay for gas. :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
You sadly get used to it. You stop worrying about "if" your car will ever get a ding to "when" it will get a ding. You can do everything from parking out in the middle of nowhere, come back to your car and find some yutz has parked right next to you. I have an Owl dashcam on my vehicle, but I'll still get a ding that I won't know about until I wash my vehicle the next few days. People don't really care these days, and it is reflected when you see the garbage that they drive.

I was talking to a few co-workers once about it. One lady started talking about how a guy got upset with her because she had her hands full and swung her door open into a guy's car. She said the guy got mad at her, and I told her, "I can imagine!". She was actually saying that the guy overreacted, and I was like, "Well you did ding their door". I knew where the conversation was headed, so I kind of cut myself off. But, that's essentially what you're up against, no one will care about your pride and joy as much as you do. Hopefully you won't see another ding for a while, but you'll see another one eventually. It's inevitable...

Forehead Hair Vision care Mouth Jaw

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD w/ Tech Pkg in Yacht Blue
7 Posts
'no one will care about your pride and joy as much as you do'

So true. Aside from the two new cars that I 'shared' with my wife (they were essentially hers), I haven't had a new car until now. I'm 46. I had to tell her that we were not going to fuck this one up the way the minivan has gotten fucked up. The kids have already scuffed up the back of the front seats from kicking around like epileptics. I've outlawed food in the 6, but we'll see how long that lasts.

So the EV6 lives in the garage, and the minivan in the driveway. I park as far from everyone in public as possible. But holy shit is it fun to drive, more than any previous car I've owned, that I want to take it everywhere. It's like those cheesy car commercials where you volunteer to do a store-run just so you can be alone in your new car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree with all the sentiments shared! Don't get me wrong, I can def let it go ... In fact, in the long run, it'll help me be more ... I dunno, Zen? But it's still mildly maddening for now haha

·
Registered
265 Posts
My ZL1, if I have to go shopping in it I will only go to Costco with it because Costco has wider parking spaces. If I can find a parking spot, it's near a curb where I reduce my chances of the door being hit by 50%. I have also learned not to park near a large SUV or other vehicle where children might be transported.

As for food, I'm ok with using my daily driver, but not my ZL1 for food runs. I have a colleague that's a heavy smoker and often wants to go to lunch (I'm learning the ins and outs from him for a new role so I'm obligated) I have decided that I won't take my ZL1 to work while working with him because his ritual is to smoke after he finishes his meal and I'd rather get him an Uber back to work than have him get into my car after he's smoked. Which reminds me, when your co-workers want to go to lunch and one orders chicken wings or some other greasy finger-food, and then gets into your new car... Yeah you're in for a world of pain and heartache... 💔 :ROFLMAO: 💔

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agree with all the sentiments shared! Don't get me wrong, I can def let it go ... In fact, in the long run, it'll help me be more ... I dunno, Zen? But it's still mildly maddening for now haha
It drives me nuts too. I am dreading the day on the highway where some semi or big-ass truck kicks up gravel on my front end or windshield.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My ZL1, if I have to go shopping in it I will only go to Costco with it because Costco has wider parking spaces. If I can find a parking spot, it's near a curb where I reduce my chances of the door being hit by 50%. I have also learned not to park near a large SUV or other vehicle where children might be transported.

As for food, I'm ok with using my daily driver, but not my ZL1 for food runs. I have a colleague that's a heavy smoker and often wants to go to lunch (I'm learning the ins and outs from him for a new role so I'm obligated) I have decided that I won't take my ZL1 to work while working with him because his ritual is to smoke after he finishes his meal and I'd rather get him an Uber back to work than have him get into my car after he's smoked. Which reminds me, when your co-workers want to go to lunch and one orders chicken wings or some other greasy finger-food, and then gets into your new car... Yeah you're in for a world of pain and heartache... 💔 :ROFLMAO: 💔
Sir, what is this ZL1 you speak of? At first I thought Camaro....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sir, what is this ZL1 you speak of? At first I thought Camaro....
Correct. Will be my last ICE vehicle (if all goes well with the EV6). Bought her in Feb with a 6-speed manual. I won't lie but the EV6 GT or the i4 M50 initially tempted me to trade it in, but I figure the ZL1 will be more analog and more engaging even though it is about .2 to .3 seconds off the pace of the two performance EVs above.

At one point I figured I could get a Miata with a manual and get the higher end EVs, but I thought having a more analog car as a garage queen was better and using the EV would be preferred for daily driving. I won't lie, the Nissan Leaf that I have as my daily punches above its weight (just the instant-torque nature of EVs) so if I don't get my EV6 GT-line AWD, I'm decently settled in for now. I figure in a few years a more analog vehicle will be a bit of a novelty, so I'm hoping to hold onto the ZL1 for as long as possible. I don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but here's my baby and can understand the OP's anxiety.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Correct. Will be my last ICE vehicle (if all goes well with the EV6). Bought her in Feb with a 6-speed manual. I won't lie but the EV6 GT or the i4 M50 initially tempted me to trade it in, but I figure the ZL1 will be more analog and more engaging even though it is about .2 to .3 seconds off the pace of the two performance EVs above.

At one point I figured I could get a Miata with a manual and get the higher end EVs, but I thought having a more analog car as a garage queen was better and using the EV would be preferred for daily driving. I won't lie, the Nissan Leaf that I have as my daily punches above its weight (just the instant-torque nature of EVs) so if I don't get my EV6 GT-line AWD, I'm decently settled in for now. I figure in a few years a more analog vehicle will be a bit of a novelty, so I'm hoping to hold onto the ZL1 for as long as possible. I don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but here's my baby and can understand the OP's anxiety.

View attachment 7946
That IS a sick looking whip! My BIL has the new Camaro wZL1 with some additional race package. He takes it to Infinion Raceway to test its mettle.

Glad that you won't lie to us as well, lol.

MAN, if you like the torque on the Leaf, wait till you get into the 6 and put it into sport mode! INSTANT torque, I'm talkin' g-force baby!

·
Registered
265 Posts
That IS a sick looking whip! Glad that you won't lie to us too, lol.

MAN, if you like the torque on the Leaf, wait till you get into the 6 and put it into sport mode? Straight torque, I'm talkin' g-force baby!
EVs are like microwaves, where ICE is more like a conventional oven. You get there with both, but one is just faster from the start. In the Leaf, I have embarrassed a V8 Charger, a newer V8 Lexus sedan to about 40-50 MPH, and even embarrassed a guy in a full sized F150 Ford most recently. It's so effortless to launch EVs that it feels like you're sitting in your living room playing on your Xbox. I don't know if the EV6 will catch anyone off guard as it looks much sportier than my dopey looking little Leaf. That's about the only thing that I'm going to miss about the Leaf, catching people off guard.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My last car I managed not to ding it myself at all, and only had 2 tiny stone chips on the bonnet.

Got a wonderful offer for cash (which in part is how I ended up with an EV6 order), and of course sods law just about the last day I had the car, putting the front of it half way into the garage to make it easier to take of the personal number plate, I scraped the offside wing mirror housing (I never normal put the car in the garage).

So 2 years without any damage,and on the last day screwed up the mirror housing !

• Haha
Reactions: msg

·
Registered
922 Posts
I got interior trim damage from day 3.... seat back was scratched by the kids, the rear center console was scratched by the kids, all fixed.. White front inside door trip dented by me... somewhat fixed with colored filler and pattern on top..... Kia EV6 seems somewhat fragile inside compared to my Audi A4 of years gone by.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sort of on topic: quite a few years ago we arranged to buy our son a new car as a high school graduation present (Honda Civic). When we arrived at the dealer about 50 miles from our home we learned that the car had a tiny scratch at the bottom of one of the rocker panels.

My son was distressed that he could either take the car 'as is' or wait for them to fix it and get it in a few days.

I solved his dilemma by telling him to take it with the scratch and then he'd not have to agonize in the future when the car was dinged. I told him that the distress is with the first defect. After that it wouldn't be that big a deal for subsequent ones.

·
Registered
2022 Runway Red EV6 - Sportline Trim - AWD
10 Posts
Sort of on topic: quite a few years ago we arranged to buy our son a new car as a high school graduation present (Honda Civic). When we arrived at the dealer about 50 miles from our home we learned that the car had a tiny scratch at the bottom of one of the rocker panels.

My son was distressed that he could either take the car 'as is' or wait for them to fix it and get it in a few days.

I solved his dilemma by telling him to take it with the scratch and then he'd not have to agonize in the future when the car was dinged. I told him that the distress is with the first defect. After that it wouldn't be that big a deal for subsequent ones.
I like that logic! Rip the bandage off for sure.
Like most posters here, I am always stressing about that first dent. I do the usual things like park in the middle of nowhere, look for the edge spots, don't ride behind trucks, etc. but sooner or later, it's going to happen. Just hoping I at least get some time out of it before that fateful day!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My last car I managed not to ding it myself at all, and only had 2 tiny stone chips on the bonnet.

Got a wonderful offer for cash (which in part is how I ended up with an EV6 order), and of course sods law just about the last day I had the car, putting the front of it half way into the garage to make it easier to take of the personal number plate, I scraped the offside wing mirror housing (I never normal put the car in the garage).

So 2 years without any damage,and on the last day screwed up the mirror housing !
Ain't that just how it goes?? Did you get the same cash price or less the repair?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got interior trim damage from day 3.... seat back was scratched by the kids, the rear center console was scratched by the kids, all fixed.. White front inside door trip dented by me... somewhat fixed with colored filler and pattern on top..... Kia EV6 seems somewhat fragile inside compared to my Audi A4 of years gone by.
Damn ... Damn damn damn. Kids will definitely test the integrity of your interior with the quickness! How'd you fix the scratches?

It is just a car/thing after all and I live in LA so it's basically a demolition derby out here, but it's still irritating haha

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I completely agree! "'ay ay a scratch a scratch."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts