Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not ICEd out. No obnoxious fossil fuel drivers here. This was mother nature's doing.

4 days after picking up my GT-Line AWD, we got hit with a snow and ice storm today. It provided a good lesson on some of the problems ice can cause.

The folding mirrors froze in the closed position. One freed itself after a few tries, and the other only needed a slight nudge to start working.

The door handles froze a bit, but were easily pushed in and out manually. Not any worse than on any other car in these conditions.

One mirror's steering actuators froze.

The biggest problem was due to the car being parked into the wind, so the front took the brunt of the storm. The radar, camera, and ultrasonic sensors were iced over. That resulted in the car generating forward collision warnings. Turning off the parking sensors (the "P" button on the right side of the center console) cleared the warning, but the car automatically reactivates those sensors under certain conditions. Since the car can brake on it's own, this isn't a great situation.

A friend jokingly suggested it was time to get out the hairdryer. I thought that was actually a pretty good idea since this is an electric car which can provide it's own 120V AC power. I think I may pick up one of those little travel hair dryers and throw it in the back with the tire kit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
No, not ICEd out. No obnoxious fossil fuel drivers here. This was mother nature's doing.

4 days after picking up my GT-Line AWD, we got hit with a snow and ice storm today. It provided a good lesson on some of the problems ice can cause.

The folding mirrors froze in the closed position. One freed itself after a few tries, and the other only needed a slight nudge to start working.

The door handles froze a bit, but were easily pushed in and out manually. Not any worse than on any other car in these conditions.

One mirror's steering actuators froze.

The biggest problem was due to the car being parked into the wind, so the front took the brunt of the storm. The radar, camera, and ultrasonic sensors were iced over. That resulted in the car generating forward collision warnings. Turning off the parking sensors (the "P" button on the right side of the center console) cleared the warning, but the car automatically reactivates those sensors under certain conditions. Since the car can brake on it's own, this isn't a great situation.

A friend jokingly suggested it was time to get out the hairdryer. I thought that was actually a pretty good idea since this is an electric car which can provide it's own 120V AC power. I think I may pick up one of those little travel hair dryers and throw it in the back with the tire kit.
Here in central Pa. and underwent the same kind of situation.....but have dealt with it all before ( not with an EV 6 but with other vehicles with the same tech )....so, I disabled the "auto folding mirrors option" during the winter....don't have my new EV 6 yet, so don't know if disabling the folding is possible on that. The door handles are indeed going to be another issue.......

·
Registered
Ordered: Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
81 Posts
I have seen a recommendation to Tesla owners that they disable the folding mirrors in the winter due to ice and the potential to damage the mirror motors.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen a recommendation to Tesla owners that they disable the folding mirrors in the winter due to ice and the potential to damage the mirror motors.
Hopefully this will be the last winter storm of the year here, but that's good advice for next year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts