Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2022 Kia Sorento Plug-in Hybrid last month. The Kia level 1 charger that came with the car is horrible. I was searching for a good Level 2 charger. I looked at everything that is out there. I went with the Ford Mach-E Charger. This charger come with every Mach-E when you buy one. It is a level 2 charger that charges at 30amps. I purchased it at my local Ford dealer for $410 plus tax. My Sorento now charges fully in 2 hours instead of the 8 hours with the charger that came with the car. This Ford charger also comes with a 3-year warranty. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good charger.
Corded phone Audio equipment Gadget Cable Electrical wiring
Sports uniform Smile Sports jersey Shorts Jersey

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's insane, oh how the times have changed... I mean, a woman wearing football pads!?!? How things have progressed.

Oh, and charging a car from an outlet? That's pretty neat too.

Haha

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think the most interesting thing about this post is the concept of the charger coming with the car not being any good, and then having to buy one. This might be KIAs thinking in not providing one with the car. They have essentially forced me to carefully consider my needs and house wiring and buy the right charger for my specific situation....did me a favor I think.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think the most interesting thing about this post is the concept of the charger coming with the car not being any good, and then having to buy one. This might be KIAs thinking in not providing one with the car. They have essentially forced me to carefully consider my needs and house wiring and buy the right charger for my specific situation....did me a favor I think.
I bet you're real fun at parties...

Smile Sleeve Tree Street fashion Eyewear

·
Registered
326 Posts
I purchased a 2022 Kia Sorento Plug-in Hybrid last month. The Kia level 1 charger that came with the car is horrible. I was searching for a good Level 2 charger. I looked at everything that is out there. I went with the Ford Mach-E Charger. This charger come with every Mach-E when you buy one. It is a level 2 charger that charges at 30amps. I purchased it at my local Ford dealer for $410 plus tax. My Sorento now charges fully in 2 hours instead of the 8 hours with the charger that came with the car. This Ford charger also comes with a 3-year warranty. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good charger.
View attachment 2324 View attachment 2325
Not Sure Your Post Makes Sense, Why you ask? Well, you have a PHEV. Your vehicle has a 13.8 kW battery pack and a built in charger of 3.3 kW/hour. 13.3/3.3=4.03 hours. Now the EV6 has a 77.4 kW battery in most cases. The Mach E charger is 30 amps at 240 volts. This amounts to 7200 watts capacity, great for the Mach E. Not so great for the EV6 which has an onboard charger of 10.7 kW capacity or 45 amps. So your post amounts to advice telling people to buy a charger that will slowly charger their vehicle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Amazon has several good ones. I decided I didn't want or need an app and wifi etc. Bought a 40 amp Splitvolt from Amazon for $300. No fuss, plugged it into the 14-50, plugged into my EV6 and it started charging at 9.6kw. Also got the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter to use the tesla destination chargers at the hotel I say at in Austin when I go for business.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I decided on a Juicebox 40 and paid less through Costco becasue a 5 foot shorter charge cable which is okay by me. So far very happy with it, puts 40 amps into the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Amazon has several good ones. I decided I didn't want or need an app and wifi etc. Bought a 40 amp Splitvolt from Amazon for $300. No fuss, plugged it into the 14-50, plugged into my EV6 and it started charging at 9.6kw. Also got the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter to use the tesla destination chargers at the hotel I say at in Austin when I go for business.

just looking at this J1772 adapter for my Sorento PHEV....called Kia to make sure it was compatible and all that jazz. They were clueless on the phone about how to connect to a level 3 charger and opened up a case for it. ill let you know what they say when the reply. Has anyone used the Lectron J1772 charger with the Sorento?

cheers
Nate

·
Registered
EV6 GT-L RWD
242 Posts
just looking at this J1772 adapter for my Sorento PHEV....called Kia to make sure it was compatible and all that jazz. They were clueless on the phone about how to connect to a level 3 charger and opened up a case for it. ill let you know what they say when the reply. Has anyone used the Lectron J1772 charger with the Sorento?

cheers
Nate
Tesla destination chargers are level 2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts