Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the "new" infotainment system from Kia for the EV6 is the same as before (Kia&Hyundai), and pretty much rubbish now compared to other car manufactures systems.

Anyways, instead of bashing on the system, I highly recommend switching it.

So here is a voice for the UX999 Carplay box (runs a ApplePie system) which basically connects like an Apple Airplay device, and then boots into an android operative system. I never use the cars infotainment system anymore.

It boots right into the box when starting the car, takes about 15-20 seconds and then you have your phone connected to the box, so you get Bluetooth sound and telephone services without any problems.
You can also run the Spotify app right from the box if you prefer, but I usually connect my phone to the box through Bluetooth and have all my favorite playlist downloaded on my phone.
Anyways, you get full screen, you can use all apps from Google play store, Google Maps, Waze, Spotify, Tunein and so on. Also, you can stream YouTube, Netflix (also while driving if you so wish). You can do split screen (since it's 12inch it's a pretty good function to have). And if you want to you can use Android and Apple Airplay wireless, but the box built in Android system is so good so I see no point in using wireless Android auto or Carplay.
But now I can use the wireless charging pad all the time :)

I bought it from Aliexpress, 231.0US $ 30% OFF|Carplay Ai Box Wireless Carplay Netflix Android Box Car Multimedia Player UX999 4+64G Audio Navigation For Volkswagen Kia Toyota|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress, and have it connected to the USB below the dashboard with the cable running into the glovebox where I've taped it to one of the sides so it's basically an invisible installation.

The box can be found for around 200$, and I would recommend having a SIM-card for the box so that you don’t have to do the hotspot through your phone all the time. It fits right in and the box is in that way always connected. In Sweden a extra sim-card costs me 5$ a month, totally worth it.
The box also uses the cars built in GPS-services for tracking so no need for any external antennas or slow updates on Waze or Google Maps. It’s much quicker than the cars own navigation system for sure.

The box has a couple of developers on XDA-Developers and gets updates often.
Firmware for Carplay AI Boxes (Qualcomm/Rockchip/Allwinner) Android 7/9

I’m running the 2021-11-02 update with my box and everything works perfect with the EV6.

I really recommend everyone who agrees with me that the original infotainment system sucks, give this a try, you won’t look back. The cost is a fraction of what you are paying when buying a new car anyways so shouldn’t be a factor (at least in my opinion).

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
So, the "new" infotainment system from Kia for the EV6 is the same as before (Kia&Hyundai), and pretty much rubbish now compared to other car manufactures systems.

So here is a voice for the UX999 Carplay box (runs a ApplePie system) which basically connects like an Apple Airplay device, and then boots into an android operative system. I never use the cars infotainment system anymore.

It boots right into the box when starting the car, takes about 15-20 seconds and then you have your phone connected to the box, so you get Bluetooth sound and telephone services without any problems.
You can also run the Spotify app right from the box if you prefer, but I usually connect my phone to the box through Bluetooth and have all my favorite playlist downloaded on my phone.
Anyways, you get full screen, you can use all apps from Google play store, Google Maps, Waze, Spotify, Tunein and so on. Also, you can stream YouTube, Netflix (also while driving if you so wish). You can do split screen (since it's 12inch it's a pretty good function to have). And if you want to you can use Android and Apple Airplay wireless, but the box built in Android system is so good so I see no point in using wireless Android auto or Carplay.

I bought it from Aliexpress, 231.0US $ 30% OFF|Carplay Ai Box Wireless Carplay Netflix Android Box Car Multimedia Player UX999 4+64G Audio Navigation For Volkswagen Kia Toyota|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress, and have it connected to the USB below the dashboard with the cable running into the glovebox where I've taped it to one of the sides so it's basically an invisible installation.

The box can be found for around 200$, and I would recommend having a SIM-card for the box so that you don’t have to do the hotspot through your phone all the time. It fits right in and the box is in that way always connected. In Sweden a extra sim-card costs me 5$ a month, totally worth it.
The box also uses the cars built in GPS-services for tracking so no need for any external antennas or slow updates on Waze or Google Maps. It’s much quicker than the cars own navigation system for sure.

I’m running the 2021-11-02 update with my box and everything works perfect with the EV6.

I really recommend everyone who agrees with me that the original infotainment system sucks, give this a try, you won’t look back. The cost is a fraction of what you are paying when buying a new car anyways so shouldn’t be a factor (at least in my opinion).
Sounds good! How does your phone connect to the box?

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That means audio quality is poorer though?
It's ok, but I would say that the whole hifi system is in need of an upgrade, subwoofer not making much at all, and sometimes the bas is so heavy on my front speakers that they rattle... Will hoppfullt get fixed at my dealership next week.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Amazing results it’s a shame Kia wasn’t able to provide that

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sounds similar to what I had put in my Z4 to add ACP/AA to the stock Idrive screen. I ultimately swapped it out for a full 10.25” Android unit that does wireless ACP/AA, touchscreen, and I can run anything that is on the play store. Nice watching the ball game live while driving down the road. 🤪

Mobile phone Communication Device Portable communications device Telephony Mobile phone car mount

·
Registered
1 Posts

Anything apple sucks...no thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Sounds interesting.....is it easy to switch back for viewing EV charging data?

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds interesting.....is it easy to switch back for viewing EV charging data?
Yeah, at least according to me. To exit the Android OS is just to "go to car-screen" it's a one button press, or you can use your media controller button on the steering wheel which also brings you out to the "normal car mode".
Or program the star button for a similar function.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just some more data to this. If anyone wants to see some videos for how it runs here's a person with a Mach E who got it. Frankly, I'm starting to warm to the idea of this device a lot. The ability to run Waze on it, switch to a full feature Plugshare, pull up a fast charger along my route and send it over to Waze is, very tempting. Much better than the AA Plugshare which is horribly neutered.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just some more data to this. If anyone wants to see some videos for how it runs here's a person with a Mach E who got it. Frankly, I'm starting to warm to the idea of this device a lot. The ability to run Waze on it, switch to a full feature Plugshare, pull up a fast charger along my route and send it over to Waze is, very tempting. Much better than the AA Plugshare which is horribly neutered.
Polestar just added "A better route planner" to their google headunit. I've been checking it out recently, and think it might be a good option for the EV6 as well. But my draw to this device beside wireless ACP, would be for my passenger to watch live sports while driving. My passenger can do that in my Z4 with its Android 10 headunit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's ok, but I would say that the whole hifi system is in need of an upgrade, subwoofer not making much at all, and sometimes the bas is so heavy on my front speakers that they rattle... Will hoppfullt get fixed at my dealership next week.
Hej, Vet du på vilket sätt de ska "åtgärda detta" med att baslådan istort sett bara fungerar som tyngd över bakhjulen... Jag har bara fått beskedet att de förmedlat uppåt i hierarkin att baslådan inte låter något nämnvärt... De känns rätt surt för min del då jag la till GT line enbart för stereons skull.. Jämfört med kvaliteten på Meridians hemma produkter så är biljudet ett tråkigt skämt... Trodde inte de sålde sitt märke så billigt... Men tydligen... 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hej, Vet du på vilket sätt de ska "åtgärda detta" med att baslådan istort sett bara fungerar som tyngd över bakhjulen... Jag har bara fått beskedet att de förmedlat uppåt i hierarkin att baslådan inte låter något nämnvärt... De känns rätt surt för min del då jag la till GT line enbart för stereons skull.. Jämfört med kvaliteten på Meridians hemma produkter så är biljudet ett tråkigt skämt... Trodde inte de sålde sitt märke så billigt... Men tydligen... 🤷‍♂️
Nej ingen aning, jag har påtalat det i både skrift och muntligt men vart det tar vägen därifrån vet man ju aldrig.
Deras stereo-lösning är inte fantastisk nej, men jag tror ändå det är en del mjukvaruproblem snarare än högtalarna. Att ha en subwoofer men inte kunna ställa in basen på den är ju bara korkat. Om man skruvar upp basen så dånar framhögtalarna så att det skakar i dörrarna istället. Lite halvdant just nu, men hoppas det kommer ett uppdatering till Infotainment systemet som gör att man kan styra kanalerna lite mer individuellt.

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome information, thanks @Fredrik_Swed for sharing! (y)
The 15-20sec startup time, is it from ignition on?
Is it possible to listen to FM-radio while using this?
Yes it's from ignition to on.

Yeah, no problem you can use the cars original radiosystem without any issues while using the Waze or Google earth apps on the UX999 unit.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts