Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read this article from Hyundai which could be read that battery conditioning is a new feature not available in existing Ioniq 5s. I'm living in hope that this is already in the full battery system in the EV6 (which wasn't in the Ioniq 5 that was rushed to market to get Korean subsidies)., otherwise all EV6 and Ioniq 5 models sold last/this year will be a different model missing an important feature.

Reactions: bethermin

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,803 Posts
The Kia did not use the same battery pack as the Hyundai as Hyundai never offered the larger 77.4kWh battery in the UK at launch.

I wonder if Hyundai will now be using the same battery pack as the EV6 now.

This may mean the Kia EV6 already does the battery conditioning feature, I am sure someone who knows better will update you.

There are some interesting updates on the link, they are brining over the Digital Side Mirrors to Europe.

For the first time, the updated IONIQ 5 will be available with video-based digital interior and exterior mirrors. The Digital Centre Mirror (DCM) optimises visibility by providing an unobstructed, panoramic rear-facing view of the car. The DCM camera is installed below IONIQ 5’s rear spoiler.

Now this may be useful on the EV6

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Kia did not use the same battery pack as the Hyundai.

I wonder if Hyundai will now be using the same battery pack.
My understanding was that the battery pack has less cells, not sure about anything that states that it's not the same though?

·
Registered
BMW 530i xdrive. EV6 GT line AWD on order.
11 Posts
I think I remember reading an article in a Norwegian magazine (link found somewhere on this forum) where the head of Hyundai Norway said battery conditioning was coming and would be an update for existing cars. I wonder if the optional aspect mentioned in the UK press release is related to whether you have a heat pump installed, presumably standard in Norway and optional in UK.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I remember reading an article in a Norwegian magazine (link found somewhere on this forum) where the head of Hyundai Norway said battery conditioning was coming and would be an update for existing cars. I wonder if the optional aspect mentioned in the UK press release is related to whether you have a heat pump installed, presumably standard in Norway and optional in UK.
It would make sense for it to be linked to how the heatpump operates.

·
Registered
191 Posts
For the first time, the updated IONIQ 5 will be available with video-based digital interior and exterior mirrors. The Digital Centre Mirror (DCM) optimises visibility by providing an unobstructed, panoramic rear-facing view of the car. The DCM camera is installed below IONIQ 5’s rear spoiler.

Now this may be useful on the EV6
Had this on my discovery sport (they call it clearsight) and it was brilliant. Wider view, doesn't matter about the small rear window. the disco sport version had the camera built into the "fin" on the roof, so image a little higher than normal. The rear view "mirror" is a screen, so it takes a little bit of getting used to as you focus on the screen 8 inches away, whereas with a mirror the focus point is the distance to the image. You could still flip it to a traditional mirror.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,803 Posts
Had this on my discovery sport (they call it clearsight) and it was brilliant. Wider view, doesn't matter about the small rear window. the disco sport version had the camera built into the "fin" on the roof, so image a little higher than normal. The rear view "mirror" is a screen, so it takes a little bit of getting used to as you focus on the screen 8 inches away, whereas with a focus point is the distance to the image. You could still flip it to a traditional mirror.
Wonder if Kia will take the same approach.

I have seen aftermarket kits where the camera is mounted on the rear number plate surround.

·
Registered
385 Posts
There is no reason it couldn't be done with a software update. The system can already heat and cool the battery pack as needed. All of that is software controlled.

·
Registered
BMW 530i xdrive. EV6 GT line AWD on order.
11 Posts
There is no reason it couldn't be done with a software update. The system can already heat and cool the battery pack as needed. All of that is software controlled.
I tend to agree. The UK press release is a bit confusing - in the bulleted list it states "optional battery conditioning", whereas in the main text it just talks of "the new battery conditioning feature". Hopefully optional was just a poor choice of word, not meant as in optional extra equipment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The KIA does not pre-condition the battery nor does it automatically pre-condition when arriving at a GPS nav selected charging point. The latest news is a spring update to allow for the battery pre-conditioning. No word on whether it will be an OTA update or dealer visit required.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wonder if Kia will take the same approach.

I have seen aftermarket kits where the camera is mounted on the rear number plate surround.
I have fitted a "Wolfbox" dashcam mirror to my Leaf, it has a front and rear camera, which I mounted on the inside of the rear window, much better than the normal rear view mirror.

Cost about £180 from Amazon with the hardwire kit, so it can do parking mode as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The KIA does not pre-condition the battery nor does it automatically pre-condition when arriving at a GPS nav selected charging point. The latest news is a spring update to allow for the battery pre-conditioning. No word on whether it will be an OTA update or dealer visit required.
Do you have a source for this?

AWD Wind EV.6 here with the 77.4kWh battery pack that the UK press release mentions for the Ioniq 5. Have the heat pump in that trim, obviously. So hoping we have the technology in the car already! I know some trim lines of EV.6 don't have the heat pump and as a result, don't have the battery warmer. So perhaps all the heat pump EV6 and Ioniq five which have the battery heater included will get a software update in the "spring" for on route preconditioning. Can only hope!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do you have a source for this?

·
Registered
797 Posts
The need to also bring the LED read/front headlight animation the Korean cars got to US/EU/UK cars, the UK/EU press release also outlined that, Kia lied :) UK cars don't even have it at all, even my dealer said it would have it.... even though their £50k demo didn't have it..... hmmmmm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts