Kia EV Forum banner

Is preconditioning ever coming to the MY22 EV6

102K views 871 replies 127 participants last post by  TechnicallyJeff 
This feature that we don't have is probably not needed for most people but for the ones in colder climates it is pretty important. All it would take is a software fix to make it work. Running your car in sport mode would probably help at times. I believe.

From the Web:

Does temperature affect EV charging?

The lab found that when temperatures decreased, charging times increased. For example, EV batteries fast-charged at 77 degrees Fahrenheit reached 80% in half an hour, while the same kind of batteries only achieved a 44% charge over the same duration when the temperature was 32 degrees Fahrenheit
I feel like this has all been covered for the EV6 with that guy Bjorn on youtube. Car charges fine in the cold and could be because of the cobalt they use in battery. It doesn’t charge as quickly as it could but faster than most in the cold.

I take exception to the word “fine.” Yes, it still charges pretty fast in suboptomal conditions, but 40 minutes when I was planning on 20 minutes for an entire season is still a kick in the teeth.

But moreover, it’s a very easy problem to solve that we all expected would be.
Seems like you had unrealistic expectations and you dont know for sure software fixes that is still yet to be proven.

120-240kW vs 30-50KW which is 2-4 kW/minute vs 0.5-1. so 15 minutes on charge gives 30-60kW vs 7.5-15kW

Don’t forget if you plug in cold, the the charger will use some of the energy in to (slowly) warm the battery. Info out there appears after 15 minutes you might be up to 100kW ish.

Basically 150 vs 50 means you’d easily put the energy back quicker than the amount you used en route to the charger.
For the limited time I will actually use the DC charging I don't think I'm going to sweat getting this on my 2022. Personally I'll just do the sport mode and enjoy the car. I'm not even sure it's a good thing to keep updating the operating system unless it was designed for that. It's like flashing the PCM on an ICE car you should really limit the times you do that. Then of course the whole DC charging thing can also decrease battery life so you probably are better off not using that much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.