Kia EV6 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't mind how it works, as long as I get it :)

Don't all EV6s have a battery heater already? Even though, as you said, it's only active when plugged into a charger.
Kia would only need to do a firmware update (not an OTA software update since it interfaces with the BMS) to enable battery preconditioning manually. I don't think your car would need extra physical equipment installed, just a firmware change.
I have had confirmation from Kia (via dealer) that all UK cars have the battery heater (unlike the i5), regardless of if the heat pump is fitted or not.

For me, both are ticked, but even without a heat pump there is no obvious reason that I can think of that a battery heater couldn't do a rudimentary heat up to get the battery in the region of a faster charge (15 degrees would be enough to get a respectable speed).

·
Registered
2023 Kia EV6 Wind RWD reservation
70 Posts
Because built in NAV works when there is no phone signal where you are/along the route.
I always download offline maps in Google Maps to use when I'm traveling. However, I see your point for those who forget to plan ahead and do that.

I know one reason why I still prefer the built-in navigation over Android Auto / Apple CarPlay. I't the HUD and that you will lose those lovely and really handy directions in the HUD if you start using external navigation.
I guess I never saw the benefit of the HUD as I'm not getting a trim with that feature. I also always wear polarized sunglasses while driving in the day and some people report that HUD visibility is reduced.

While many users would prefer a manual operation for battery preheating, it seems to be hard for the manufacturers to implement that. Perhaps they are afraid that people start using preheating to get better performance when boosting their ego with their cars.
Yeah I see your point that car manufacturers would be hesitant to give manual battery preheat control to users. The only car that does right now I believe is Porsche Taycan and maybe Lucid Air. Those are more expensive luxury cars and the manufacturers assume owners would be tech savvy or at least know a lot about their car (car enthusiasts). Kia may think a significant portion of EV6 drivers don't know the technical details about battery preheat and so may link it to navigation.

Again, I think it's an unfortunate shortcut because I'd have to use the pesky in-car navigation every time I'd want to preheat in colder weather. I think the bigger issue is keeping the database of charging stations updated, especially with the NEVI program bringing more DCFCs across the US.

Sadly though, Google Maps doesn't know anything about charging stations
At least in the US, Google Maps lists charging stations including their connector type and kilowatt rating.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I heard you just put it into sport mode for 10 minutes before you use the charger and it does the same thing.
This feature that we don't have is probably not needed for most people but for the ones in colder climates it is pretty important. All it would take is a software fix to make it work. Running your car in sport mode would probably help at times. I believe.

From the Web:

Does temperature affect EV charging?

The lab found that when temperatures decreased, charging times increased. For example, EV batteries fast-charged at 77 degrees Fahrenheit reached 80% in half an hour, while the same kind of batteries only achieved a 44% charge over the same duration when the temperature was 32 degrees Fahrenheit

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD Tech package
98 Posts
This feature that we don't have is probably not needed for most people but for the ones in colder climates it is pretty important. All it would take is a software fix to make it work. Running your car in sport mode would probably help at times. I believe.

From the Web:

The lab found that when temperatures decreased, charging times increased. For example, EV batteries fast-charged at 77 degrees Fahrenheit reached 80% in half an hour, while the same kind of batteries only achieved a 44% charge over the same duration when the temperature was 32 degrees Fahrenheit
I feel like this has all been covered for the EV6 with that guy Bjorn on youtube. Car charges fine in the cold and could be because of the cobalt they use in battery. It doesn’t charge as quickly as it could but faster than most in the cold.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I feel like this has all been covered for the EV6 with that guy Bjorn on youtube. Car charges fine in the cold and could be because of the cobalt they use in battery. It doesn’t charge as quickly as it could but faster than most in the cold.
I take exception to the word “fine.” Yes, it still charges pretty fast in suboptomal conditions, but 40 minutes when I was planning on 20 minutes for an entire season is still a kick in the teeth.

But moreover, it’s a very easy problem to solve that we all expected would be.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I take exception to the word “fine.” Yes, it still charges pretty fast in suboptomal conditions, but 40 minutes when I was planning on 20 minutes for an entire season is still a kick in the teeth.

But moreover, it’s a very easy problem to solve that we all expected would be.
Seems like you had unrealistic expectations and you dont know for sure software fixes that is still yet to be proven.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Seems like you had unrealistic expectations and you dont know for sure software fixes that is still yet to be proven.
Apparently my least realistic expectation was that the car would be reliable.

*AC compressor
*tires
*trim
*paint
*amplifier
*12V system

You’re right, there’s absolutely zero reason to believe Kia has a clue what they’re doing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Apparently my least realistic expectation was that the car would be reliable.

*AC compressor
*tires
*trim
*paint
*amplifier
*12V system

You’re right, there’s absolutely zero reason to believe Kia has a clue what they’re doing.
Sounds like you should read up on the lemon laws in your state if you have been having that much trouble with so many different systems. (no sarcasm intended) I swapped out of an 18-month old Bolt EV into a 2022 Bolt EUV (plus some extra cash at hand-over, then traded that on my EV6) and it was a pretty painless process. Varies state-by-state, but could get you a different EV6 (or different Kia completely).

·
Registered
96 Posts

From the Web:

77F = 25C which is warmer than nearly every day in the UK (Bar a few heat wave days).

Bristol is down in the south west area of the UK, so warmer than most parts of the UK.
As you can see the average maximum temperature is below 25 all year and around zero for approx So actually, yes it affects the UK all year round, but in winter when the temperatures are typically below 10 degrees max, but typically below 5 degrees for nearly 8 months out of 12.

It's kind of essential when you're selling a car with 18 minute 10-80% charge times that they can be achieved at all, but if they can't be achieved for two thirds of the year it's not ok. When the hardware is there and they choose not to enable the feature except for anew model year, that is comepletly unacceptable.

Don't even get me started on the fact that even though the car had charging cables when it was ordered, this may now not be the case for any car built after 1st July, regardless of when it was ordered.

·
Registered
2023 Kia EV6 Wind RWD reservation
70 Posts
77F = 25C which is warmer than nearly every day in the UK (Bar a few heat wave days).

Bristol is down in the south west area of the UK, so warmer than most parts of the UK.
As you can see the average maximum temperature is below 25 all year and around zero for approx So actually, yes it affects the UK all year round, but in winter when the temperatures are typically below 10 degrees max, but typically below 5 degrees for nearly 8 months out of 12.

It's kind of essential when you're selling a car with 18 minute 10-80% charge times that they can be achieved at all, but if they can't be achieved for two thirds of the year it's not ok. When the hardware is there and they choose not to enable the feature except for anew model year, that is comepletly unacceptable.

Don't even get me started on the fact that even though the car had charging cables when it was ordered, this may now not be the case for any car built after 1st July, regardless of when it was ordered.
Keep in mind that battery pack temperatures are almost always hotter than ambient air temperature. As long as it is 10-15°C or warmer outside, the battery should have no problem getting the coldest cells to 25°C.

Again, I'm pretty sure all EVs have a resistive batter heater. The EV6 only activates it when plugged in to AC or DC chargers. All Kia has to do is a software/firmware update to enable preconditioning of the battery when not plugged in before arrival to a DCFC.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sounds like you should read up on the lemon laws in your state if you have been having that much trouble with so many different systems. (no sarcasm intended) I swapped out of an 18-month old Bolt EV into a 2022 Bolt EUV (plus some extra cash at hand-over, then traded that on my EV6) and it was a pretty painless process. Varies state-by-state, but could get you a different EV6 (or different Kia completely).
I’d prefer if they just fixed things, since there’s no reason to believe my car is especially unique (the AC issue might be the only one not apparently common across the design). But I DID just pass on a “goodwill” payment from corporate specifically because it’d neuter any such legal recourse.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Keep in mind that battery pack temperatures are almost always hotter than ambient air temperature. As long as it is 10-15°C or warmer outside, the battery should have no problem getting the coldest cells to 25°C.

Again, I'm pretty sure all EVs have a resistive batter heater. The EV6 only activates it when plugged in to AC or DC chargers. All Kia has to do is a software/firmware update to enable preconditioning of the battery when not plugged in before arrival to a DCFC.
So in the summer it's ok, but from October through to April it's going to be slow (Very slow for most of it).
Do bare in mind that Bristol is a lot warmer than most of the UK, head an hour north and you drop a few degrees, head to Scotland and you're unlikely to hit decent charging speeds most of the year.

Yes the battery pack should be warmer, but it's basically near impossible to hit the advertised time without a pre-heating function in most of the UK for most of the year.

Just as an FYI, here are the temeratures further north in England, so far from the limit in the UK:

As you can see it's just not realistic without some form or pre-heating because even with plug in heating that's going to take time to get there.

If it's 18 minutes, but really it's 40-60... anything in the VW group can do that too.

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
196 Posts

The Winter Mode of the e-GMP platform vehicles will heat the battery while driving at very cold temperatures (believed to be somewhere around 5-15F).

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD, Snow White Pearl
78 Posts
Correct. Only heats the battery if the pack temperature is very low. Optimum temperature for fast charging will be a fair bit higher than winter mode targets.
Why would this be a setting that needs to be enabled? Shouldn't this just be automatic?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Winter Mode of the e-GMP platform vehicles will heat the battery while driving at very cold temperatures (believed to be somewhere around 5-15F).
It currently doesn't do much as it only keeps battery temperature above freezing point. As it is capable to do this, it is also capable to maintain higher battery temperature. For all model years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Won't the preheat function actually take more energy out of the battery negating the effects of the decrease in time at DC charger?
Sure it does, but effectively still allows one to continue trip with less time. The battery heater might have 5kW power an run for 20 minutes, but it allows a 350kW charger to charge with a 105kW higher power for 20 minutes. So there is a gain of 33 kWh.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Won't the preheat function actually take more energy out of the battery negating the effects of the decrease in time at DC charger?
120-240kW vs 30-50KW which is 2-4 kW/minute vs 0.5-1. so 15 minutes on charge gives 30-60kW vs 7.5-15kW

Don’t forget if you plug in cold, the the charger will use some of the energy in to (slowly) warm the battery. Info out there appears after 15 minutes you might be up to 100kW ish.

Basically 150 vs 50 means you’d easily put the energy back quicker than the amount you used en route to the charger.

·
Registered
98 Posts
120-240kW vs 30-50KW which is 2-4 kW/minute vs 0.5-1. so 15 minutes on charge gives 30-60kW vs 7.5-15kW

Don’t forget if you plug in cold, the the charger will use some of the energy in to (slowly) warm the battery. Info out there appears after 15 minutes you might be up to 100kW ish.

Basically 150 vs 50 means you’d easily put the energy back quicker than the amount you used en route to the charger.
For the limited time I will actually use the DC charging I don't think I'm going to sweat getting this on my 2022. Personally I'll just do the sport mode and enjoy the car. I'm not even sure it's a good thing to keep updating the operating system unless it was designed for that. It's like flashing the PCM on an ICE car you should really limit the times you do that. Then of course the whole DC charging thing can also decrease battery life so you probably are better off not using that much.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts