Kia EV6 Forum banner
621 - 640 of 672 Posts

·
Registered
AWD Wind, Bolt EUV Premier
64 Posts
I emailed these same people 20 days ago and no response as of yet. Others should respectfully email these people. My email is below.

Kia USA has not stated we are not getting the battery conditioning upgrade so hopefully they are just being coy about its deployment. They definitely need to take a class in using social media to be transparent. I am hoping they do not want to promise anything until their engineers confirm it is stable.

"First off, this is my first Kia and I am thoroughly impressed with the EV6. I looked at other non-Tesla EVs and chose the EV6 based on Kia's experience with making EVs and its feature set. The 800V charging speeds, efficiency/range, tech and quality is what sold it for me and the styling is icing on the cake. The ultra fast DCFC was a major selling point since I frequently do 500+ mile road trips throughout the year and did not wish to add hours of charging time to my travels.

In EV6s made after July 2022, the "Winter mode" setting of battery warming was replaced by "Battery conditioning mode" which warms the battery when a DCFC is set as a destination in the car's NAV. This functionality is critical to achieving satisfactory charging times during the colder months while road tripping. While "Winter mode" may warm the battery once you get to a DCFC, it does not preheat the battery prior to DCFC arrival so charging times are significantly longer.

Kia Europe recently announced that an update to "Battery conditioning mode" functionality is currently being deployed to EV6s manufactured prior to July 2022. My EV6 AWD Wind trim with technology package was manufactured in March 2022. Is Kia USA planning to release this functionality for my vehicle and if so when? I am hoping so because it will help to maintain a major selling point of the EV6 in colder months for your early adoption customers with pre-July 2022 built vehicles."
Don't want to sound disrespectful to you, I was always told "squeaky wheel gets the oil", that's worked 100% in my life lol. I dont do things in a "Karen" sort of way because I usually avoid confrontation but we all spent $50k-$60k on these vehicles. Looking at your email, I guarantee they probably looked at the first sentence and said to themselves well this customer likes the product and then stopped reading. My first line says "I'm disappointed... blah, blah, blah", highers up are going to look further into why the customer is disappointed bc it hurts thier bottom line and word of mouth will spread about Kia's flag ship vehicle. The response I got was promising but was about what I expected. I'm willing to bet, that they are actually going to look into it especially since I sent the same email to multiple higher ups and they now know they have a disappointed customer. (Tbf, I'm not really disappointed, I love the car and its only missing this one feature to be great)

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
323 Posts
Do we really need battery conditioning if Winter mode can warm the battery? Granted that has to be manually turned on while driving to the charger.
Winter mode only warms the battery once you plug into a DCFC. Winter mode may speed up DCFC a bit but the 18 min in warmer months becomes 36-45 minutes in colder months. For my road trips with 4-5 charging stops, it would add 2.5 hours of travel time to my 8 hour trips which means I would take my ICE vehicle instead.

You do not need to turn it on while driving to the DCFC. You can turn it on when the temps drop below 50-60F and leave it on for the winter months.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The update is in Norway now, but at least one dealer will charge you if you want the update done outside a periodical service. Same as with Ioniq 5 then.

Annoying, but kinda understandable. This is an added feature, not a bug nor a promise. They do need to use both some equipment and a service tech to get it done altho the effective time spent shuld be less than ten minutes, the total time may be an hour or two.

·
Registered
AWD Wind, Bolt EUV Premier
64 Posts
The update is in Norway now, but at least one dealer will charge you if you want the update done outside a periodical service. Same as with Ioniq 5 then.

Annoying, but kinda understandable. This is an added feature, not a bug nor a promise. They do need to use both some equipment and a service tech to get it done altho the effective time spent shuld be less than ten minutes, the total time may be an hour or two.
The update is live across the EU, per the Kia press release.

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
323 Posts
Don't want to sound disrespectful to you, I was always told "squeaky wheel gets the oil", that's worked 100% in my life lol. I dont do things in a "Karen" sort of way because I usually avoid confrontation but we all spent $50k-$60k on these vehicles. Looking at your email, I guarantee they probably looked at the first sentence and said to themselves well this customer likes the product and then stopped reading. My first line says "I'm disappointed... blah, blah, blah", highers up are going to look further into why the customer is disappointed bc it hurts thier bottom line and word of mouth will spread about Kia's flag ship vehicle. The response I got was promising but was about what I expected. I'm willing to bet, that they are actually going to look into it especially since I sent the same email to multiple higher ups and they now know they have a disappointed customer. (Tbf, I'm not really disappointed, I love the car and its only missing this one feature to be great)
I encourage everyone to write to Kia about this issue especially since those of us are a majority now but as time goes on will be a minority as the newer models come with this functionality. It is encouraging that Michele responded and confirmed they are looking into the issue so now is the time to write them.

Just my guess but the good news about the early I5s getting battery preconditioning means it can also be rolled out to the EV6.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It warms the battery regardless of being plugged in, the onscreen message states it improves driving performance in cold weather at the expense of efficiency.
It only warms the battery at 14 F or below, which -10 C, you cant just tell it to start warming the battery, the temp has to be low enough, so its effectively worthless.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It only warms the battery at 14 F or below, which -10 C, you cant just tell it to start warming the battery, the temp has to be low enough, so its effectively worthless.
Not that it helps with DC Fast Charging, but I think the car also warms the battery while using the scheduled departure feature if winter mode is enabled.

My Chargepoint App shows a usage of 3.26kWh this morning during scheduled departure with Winter Mode enabled the night before, compared to 1.22kWh used last week with Winter Mode disabled. And the Energy Usage screen indicated 60% or so of some power had been going toward battery care while it showed 0kw being used after the car had been unplugged (the car won't let you view this screen while it's plugged in as it doesn't consider the car to be "on").

The outdoor temp was just under 30°F at the time.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind
394 Posts
I posted the Celsius fix TSB over in the TSB forum.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I am sure that winter mode (on or off) has no impact on the min cell temp or the max cell temp under any driving condition that I've encountered.
Have you tested it below -10°C (14°F)? My understanding has been that it will only heat at -10°C or below. I can't confirm or deny it, it generally doesn't get that cold here. I'm just saying that the claim that it only operates when plugged in to DCFC goes against the description from Kia/Hyundai, both in the description on-screen, and in other places:

Winter tips:
On the Kia EV6, you can use ‘Winter Mode’ by activating it, which helps to improve driving and charging performance in winter. However, winter mode uses electricity, so the mileage per charge may decrease. Therefore, it is recommended to use it appropriately when needed, such as right before the fast charging.
Manual:
This mode is recommended to improve driving and DC charging performances during winter by raising the battery temperature to an adequate level.
However, the driving distance may be reduced as the energy is required to increase battery temperature.
Also, if the battery temperature is low during driving or when scheduled air conditioner/heater is activated, this mode is operated to improve driving performance.
However, the mode is not operated to ensure driving distance when the battery level is low.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have you tested it below -10°C (14°F)? My understanding has been that it will only heat at -10°C or below. I can't confirm or deny it, it generally doesn't get that cold here. I'm just saying that the claim that it only operates when plugged in to DCFC goes against the description from Kia/Hyundai, both in the description on-screen, and in other places:

Winter tips:

Manual:
I have not tested it at 14F... hasn't gotten quite that cold yet (during the day anyway)

However the optimal battery charge temp is approx 68 degrees. (20C ?) so I'm not sure why it would not work until something as low as 14. I can tell you for certain that I got abysmal charging times when the max battery temp was 42. It did warm through the course of charging, but it was too little, too late to get a charge in a reasonable amount of time. (took about 45 mins to from 20-85%)

·
Registered
771 Posts
However the optimal battery charge temp is approx 68 degrees. (20C ?) so I'm not sure why it would not work until something as low as 14. ...
I haven't seen -10°C officially documented, but that number has been floating around since the earlier models with winter mode. That seems to be one of the differences between winter mode and battery pre-conditioning. I'm pretty sure I've seen posts of people reporting charging improvements with pre-conditioning at more reasonable temps. There are also some claims of higher target temps:
Battery Conditioning, as it’s called here by Hyundai, is different than the Winter Mode these vehicles have had all along. While Winter Mode is aimed at warming the battery to improve performance in cold temperatures, Hyundai emphasizes that Battery Conditioning mode heats the battery up to a higher target temperature.

621 - 640 of 672 Posts