Kia EV6 Forum banner
641 - 660 of 672 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
323 Posts
Have you tested it below -10°C (14°F)? My understanding has been that it will only heat at -10°C or below. I can't confirm or deny it, it generally doesn't get that cold here. I'm just saying that the claim that it only operates when plugged in to DCFC goes against the description from Kia/Hyundai, both in the description on-screen, and in other places:

Winter tips:

Manual:
It's not that Winter Mode doesn't ever turn on the battery heater while driving, it's that it is at such a low environmental temperature (I believe the 14F is based on the testing of Winter Mode in Kia Niro) that it functions to maintain some performance at very low temps to prevent being power limited. I drove around at 22F and energy consumption for battery care was 0 kW so the battery heater was not on.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It's not that Winter Mode doesn't ever turn on the battery heater while driving, it's that it is at such a low environmental temperature (I believe the 14F is based on the testing of Winter Mode in Kia Niro) that it functions to maintain some performance at very low temps to prevent being power limited. I drove around at 22F and energy consumption for battery care was 0 kW so the battery heater was not on.
That part makes sense to me. In the coldest months of winter, my Model 3 wouldn't noticeably decrease power output until the temps got below 15º or so. From my understanding, it doesn't hurt the battery to operate below that, but power output must be reduced to prevent damage.

So it would stand to reason that winter mode is an optional thing to get full power from the pack when it gets really cold out.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind RWD on order
358 Posts
I believe Winter Mode has no effect on battery heating once you are plugged into a DCFC. The car will run the battery heater as needed to charge up the fastest it can. Of course, since the battery hits the target temperature late into the charging process you'll experience a slow charge.

It takes around 20-30 minutes to heat up the battery to its target 20°C minimum, that's why you want to start the process with battery preconditioning before you arrive at the charger.

·
Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
55 Posts
I have not tested it at 14F... hasn't gotten quite that cold yet (during the day anyway)

However the optimal battery charge temp is approx 68 degrees. (20C ?) so I'm not sure why it would not work until something as low as 14. I can tell you for certain that I got abysmal charging times when the max battery temp was 42. It did warm through the course of charging, but it was too little, too late to get a charge in a reasonable amount of time. (took about 45 mins to from 20-85%)
Hyundai/Kia didn't really know they were doing when they designed Winter Mode. They mostly do now, which is why we all want preconditioning. It has reasonable set points and actually makes things better.

·
Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
55 Posts
Not that it helps with DC Fast Charging, but I think the car also warms the battery while using the scheduled departure feature if winter mode is enabled.

My Chargepoint App shows a usage of 3.26kWh this morning during scheduled departure with Winter Mode enabled the night before, compared to 1.22kWh used last week with Winter Mode disabled. And the Energy Usage screen indicated 60% or so of some power had been going toward battery care while it showed 0kw being used after the car had been unplugged (the car won't let you view this screen while it's plugged in as it doesn't consider the car to be "on").

The outdoor temp was just under 30°F at the time.
My understanding based on various reports and my own testing is that this only works while plugged into level 2. I don't currently have level 2 at home and have been unable to induce any battery heating. This makes sense, as battery heating consumes more power than level 1 sends to the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased a ev6 with a build month of August, I have the screen that says "battery preconditioning" however it never seemed to kick on when navigating towards a charger. It was about 20°F out so I think it was the right conditions and it was pretty close by. I have all the correct boxes checked, no snowflake in battery and no little heating symbol

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Yacht Blue
71 Posts
I just purchased a ev6 with a build month of August, I have the screen that says "battery preconditioning" however it never seemed to kick on when navigating towards a charger. It was about 20°F out so I think it was the right conditions and it was pretty close by. I have all the correct boxes checked, no snowflake in battery and no little heating symbol
That's was strange. You did use in car navigation instead of android auto, right?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Allegedly works only under 15F

Also, have to use kia nav

·
Registered
323 Posts
Allegedly works only under 15F

Also, have to use kia nav
This is not correct, the 15F is a Winter Mode issue which SuperNyamo does not have because his car has a build date after June. Battery Conditioning turns on the battery heater if: 1) Battery Conditioning is enabled, 2) the battery is >24% SOC, 3) battery temp is below 21C and 4) EV6 satellite NAV has a DCFC set as a destination.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is not correct, the 15F is a Winter Mode issue which SuperNyamo does not have because his car has a build date after June. Battery Conditioning turns on the battery heater if: 1) Battery Conditioning is enabled, 2) the battery is >24% SOC, 3) battery temp is below 21C and 4) EV6 satellite NAV has a DCFC set as a destination.
Appreciate the clarification!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Appreciate the clarification!
No problem. These are the EU specs for Battery Conditioning but look like the same conditions for the US based on battery temps to get optimal DCFC charging speeds of +200kW.

If you have a US pre-July build EV6 with Winter Mode, please write an email to the contacts below requesting your interest in having this feature, your disappointment if we do not get it as early adopters/loyal customers and for transparency on when we can expect it.

Michele Cameron
Executive Director, Consumer Affairs & Warranty Operations
[email protected]

Chief Executive
SeungKyu (Sean) Yoon
President and CEO, Kia Motors America
[email protected]

·
Registered
131 Posts
No problem. These are the EU specs for Battery Conditioning but look like the same conditions for the US based on battery temps to get optimal DCFC charging speeds of +200kW.

If you have a US pre-July build EV6 with Winter Mode, please write an email to the contacts below requesting your interest in having this feature, your disappointment if we do not get it as early adopters/loyal customers and for transparency on when we can expect it.

Michele Cameron
[email protected]

Chief Executive
SeungKyu (Sean) Yoon
[email protected]
I will definitely be emailing them on Monday

·
Registered
323 Posts

Michele Cameron
[email protected]

Chief Executive
SeungKyu (Sean) Yoon
[email protected]
This email for the CEO does not work. Can try [email protected].

641 - 660 of 672 Posts