Kia EV6 Forum banner
661 - 680 of 771 Posts

· Registered
'22 Runway Red EV6 GT-line AWD (7/22)
57 Posts
Only work with car navigation. Should come on within one minute after you route to charging station.
It depends how far the charging station is (and how cold your battery is). The first time mine came on was for a charger 81 miles away from my starting point, and it turned on about 25 miles out.

· Registered
18 Posts
I'll see if I can make it come on soon, unfortunately my weekend road trip will be way above 20°F but that gives me hope I'll see DCFC above 90kw- so because I have the menu with battery preconditioning listed I'm sure to have it ?

Thanks everyone!

· Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
345 Posts
I'll see if I can make it come on soon, unfortunately my weekend road trip will be way above 20°F but that gives me hope I'll see DCFC above 90kw- so because I have the menu with battery preconditioning listed I'm sure to have it ?

Thanks everyone!
It is a battery temperature of less than 21C (69.8F) so it should work.

· Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
62 Posts
This email for the CEO does not work. Can try [email protected].
I was never able to find the Hyundai Canada president's email. (Tried [email protected] and [email protected] as well as many initial and name combos.) I think they intentionally obscure the presidents' emails. The ideal person to email would be whoever fills this open position:
National Manager, Customer Experience & Loyalty

Here's the appropriate VP:
Greg Silvestri
VP of service & aftersales operations
[email protected]

· Registered
1,083 Posts
Apologies if everybody knows this already, but for those of you who are clamoring for the battery precondition feature/update to be added to our EV6 vehicles--IIRC it works only in conjunction with the built-in nav...meaning, for those of you who purposely avoid using the built-in nav at all costs and instead prefer to exclusively use a third-party nav app--you will need to reconsider that philosophy.

· Registered
345 Posts
For those who are in cold climates and without battery preconditioning, there is an interesting post on the Ioniq 5 reddit group by a user with an I5 without battery preconditioning that seemed to mimic DCFC battery preconditioning. Here is a graph of his OBD2 data (note: I think the person mislabelled the Battery Min Temp with % instead of C):
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Schematic

With Winter Mode enabled (the user enabled it 1 min into charging) and at 9% initial SOC plugging into the DCFC triggered the battery heater, but it seems for whatever reason even though the Batt Min Temp reaches 20C the power does not increase. Almost as if the BMS checks the Batt Min Temp on initial plugin to determine if the batt heater is needed then ignores it and instead monitors the batt heater temp to know when to turn it off and Batt Max Temp to check for overheating of the battery. Interestingly unplugging and plugging in allows the power to increase to 200+kW and maintain above 133kW up to about 80%. Based on what we know about the Battery Min Temp and how the BMS seems to use it as an indicator when to increase power requests of the DCFC, the reddit user could probably have unplugged and replugged in at 17:13 (16min) into charging because the Batt Min Temp had reached 20C and still seen the same increased power effect. Had they unplugged/plugged in this manner, the charging time to go from 9-80% SOC would have roughly been 26 min. However the caveat to this method would be that the colder the exterior temp, the longer it will take to get to 20C and thus waste time heating the battery before the power increase.

Maybe not all that helpful, but interesting that the BMS does not request more power from the DCFC once the Batt Min Temp reaches 20C.

· Registered
917 Posts
That’s interesting - I saw the original post but didn’t notice min temp was actually plotted and just had the wrong units.

What’s odd is every time I’ve looked, power throttles right up the moment min temp hits 20 and 25c. I don’t think I’ve ever had my battery heater enabled but maybe I should double check my logs (I did turn winter mode on last trip not that I think it ever engaged the heater)

· Registered
323 Posts
For those asking why this is a big deal:

I had a trip today, temp -8 to -15c mainly highway (90-110km/h). Spent 42% on 120Km. That's a range of under 300Km. This is a quite big hit, but it's well known that EVs are draining the battery harder in the winter.

Since I hadn'f filled it all up before leaving I figured I had to charge. 150Kw charger, 37'ish % battery and what I got from it was 27Kw. That's in the ten year old Leaf territory. At just above 40% it went up to a whopping 67Kw!

You'd believe it would jump further up but no. At 51% it went down to ~55Kw.

Winter mode on, no battery precon update.

That's really really bad. I'd be screaming "UPGRADE ME!" to the shop I bought the car from if I thought I'd needed to fast charge more this winter.

And gawd I hate those useless pop out door handles. I really hope that fad dies soon and we go back to good old working ones.

· Registered
1,083 Posts
How convenient of Kia to have a nice fine-print disclaimer for their "fast charging times" proclamation by stating that "charging time will vary"; no doubt Kia would pull that card if someone were to complain that they're not getting the fast charging times Kia boasts about when attempting to charge in colder weather.

· Registered
345 Posts
BTW: When I started charging at 37% it said 49 minutes to 80%. That's a lot.
If you have an OBD2 dongle, monitor the Battery Min Temp and charge until it reaches 20C (make sure Winter Mode is enabled). At this point unplug and reinitiate charging. At this point your charging power may dramatically increase like in my post #673. If you do not have an OBD2 dongle try charging for 15 min, unplugging and reinitiating the charging.

After I get my car back from the dealership, I am going to test this approach.

· Registered
917 Posts
If you have an OBD2 dongle, monitor the Battery Min Temp and charge until it reaches 20C (make sure Winter Mode is enabled). At this point unplug and reinitiate charging. At this point your charging power may dramatically increase like in my post #673. If you do not have an OBD2 dongle try charging for 15 min, unplugging and reinitiating the charging.

After I get my car back from the dealership, I am going to test this approach.
FWIW, every time I've monitored, my car has throttled up on its own the moment min cell hits 20, and then again at 25. Something odd I haven't experienced must have been going on with the HI5 in that thread where the owner showed the charging curve with replug.

· Registered
323 Posts
If you have an OBD2 dongle, monitor the Battery Min Temp and charge until it reaches 20C (make sure Winter Mode is enabled).
If I had I'd use it :=)

I plan to get one and use an old Android phone to get ev watchdog running. Wish I'd done that already.

If you do not have an OBD2 dongle try charging for 15 min, unplugging and reinitiating the charging.
I'll try to remember that. I hope I wont need to fastcharge at all this winter, but if I do.

The really odd one, where a scanner app would be useful was when the charging dropped.

661 - 680 of 771 Posts