Kia EV6 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Winter mode shows us that the car can heat the batteries, but it does not precondition the batteries.

Preheating before charging should just be available, period. The car has the HW for it, so not enabling it in any manner is just being bastards.

And yes, I want it and I need it. I live in Norway and I do want to charge the car as fast as possible and I want a heater to warm the battery up pre charging instead of the charging process doing it (not fast nor warm enough, which stress the battery more than I like.

Automatic sounds good, but when should it trigger? If the only way to get it to turn on was to add a charging destination I'd be annoyed but less than I am without any at all.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD, Snow White Pearl
78 Posts
Because it cuts into the range and if you don't need it and would rather have the range (say you have a L2 charger at your destination), then you'd rather have it off.
But winter mode is supposed to protect the car battery from charge/discharge damage at low temperatures.
I was referring to winter mode not pre conditioning

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I was referring to winter mode not pre conditioning
In my case, because of mild winter temperatures, I probably don't need to enable Winter Mode except on the "coldest" of days.

Winter Mode keeps the battery warmer to maintain performance during your drive.

I'm hoping it's separate from a battery heater (that is used while charging). If I do have to enable Winter Mode for battery heating, then yeah it should be automatic.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
320 Posts
Does Winter mode also changes the way the car drives? For example you might want milder Regen on an slippery surface. I think I read somewhere about this.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD, Snow White Pearl
78 Posts
Sorry yes, I was infering that winter mode was only to protect the battery, not to pre-heat it for charging as it won't operate to do that most of the time.
Exactly. If it is to protect the battery, shouldn’t it be automatic rather than user selected???

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
196 Posts
There are a lot of implementation decisions like that with this car that I think are questionable.
The BMS will protect the HV battery by heating and cooling the battery appropriately even if Winter Mode is not engaged but this does not insure adequate acceleration and regen. When the HV battery is cold (aka. cold soaked) it is slow to release energy for acceleration or accept energy from regen. This is because the cold temps inhibit efficient chemical reactions in the battery much like a 12V battery in the cold. Winter mode warms the HV battery in very cold temperatures (tests in the Niro EV and from Kia technical suggest about 14F) to increase performance of the car and when DCFC. Here is the text from the manual:
"This mode is recommended to improve driving and DC charging performance during the winter by raising the battery temperature to an adequate level. However, this may reduce the distance to empty significantly as the high voltage battery consumes a lot more electricity." Note it says adequately not optimally. Battery preconditioning is to get optimal DCFC performance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Preconditioning requires an integrated solution of not just physical battery tech and smart BMS but also route planning and calculation. The recent software update appeared to focus on the satnav and I wonder if they are putting in the route planning ground work ahead of rolling out preconditioning later in the year?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The EV6 GT comes with navigation battery conditioning so hopefully it’s in the autumn update.

To assist with speedy charging of the EV6 GT, new Navigation Based Battery Conditioning functionality optimises the temperature of the battery whenever a high-speed charger is set as the destination. This ensures that the EV6 GT can be charged at the optimum rate in colder temperatures.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The EV6 GT comes with navigation battery conditioning so hopefully it’s in the autumn update.

All GT are MY23 so whilst I hope you’re right…
Kia just need to make an official statement for MY22

When doesthe autumn update come out?

·
Registered
2023 Kia EV6 Wind RWD reservation
70 Posts
Someone posted this on the Ioniq 5 subreddit, hopefully it's coming soon for ioniq 5 and ev6?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ioniq5/comments/whgfd6
That seems like great news!
However, it's too bad that one has to follow both the Ioniq 5 and EV6 subreddits on Reddit to stay up to date with the latest news. The Ioniq 5 subreddit is a lot more active than the two split EV6 subreddits (r/EV6 and r/KiaEV6).

·
Registered
337 Posts
In Florida, I avoided using Teslas battery preconditioning unless I was long-road tripping. The efficiency PLUMMETS when you pre-condition to a charger - i.e 420 Wh/mile when normally I'd be 280 Wh/mile. That's over 1.0 mi/kWh penalty. For what? A slight 20-30 kW increase in charging speeds? In cold climates, the charging speeds gains are greater for sure but in warmer climates I feel it's a massive efficiency waste.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts