Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I ordered a 2023 EV6 that is expected to arrive in early 2023. I placed an order with the 8 year extended warranty that I got a discount on. It's costing me $3164 Canadian after taxes (about $2400 USD). However, I am wondering if its worth it.

Kia's Basic Warranty includes:
  • 5-year/100,000 km - Worry-free comprehensive warranty covering virtually the entire vehicle. *
  • 5-year/100,000 km - Powertrain Warranty covering the engine, transmission, axles, differentials and driveshafts.*
  • 1-year/20,000 km - First-year adjustments covering consumable items such as bulbs, wiper blades, fuses, brake pads, etc.*
  • 8-year/130,000 km - Major Emission Components that guarantee that the car will conform with government emission regulations. *
  • 8-year / 150,000 km Hybrid, Plug-In Hybrid, Electric Vehicle (EV) Components
  • 5 year/ unlimited mileage - 24/7 roadside Assistance covers you in case of mechanical breakdown.
Source: Kia Canada

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't think it is worth it FWIW.

We have had an i3 for over three years and wear tear on the car is minimal. I just don't see big reliability issues on EVs that early in their lifespan. The standard Kia warranty looks so good to me. I guess it might work for you if you typically keep your car longer than 5 years but if you sell it on between 5 and 8 years I would doubt you'd get the value back in the sale price.

We get 7 years warranty in the UK incidentally.

·
Registered
EV6 FE
47 Posts
Hey everyone,

I ordered a 2023 EV6 that is expected to arrive in early 2023. I placed an order with the 8 year extended warranty that I got a discount on. It's costing me $3164 Canadian after taxes (about $2400 USD). However, I am wondering if its worth it.

Kia's Basic Warranty includes:
  • 5-year/100,000 km - Worry-free comprehensive warranty covering virtually the entire vehicle. *
  • 5-year/100,000 km - Powertrain Warranty covering the engine, transmission, axles, differentials and driveshafts.*
  • 1-year/20,000 km - First-year adjustments covering consumable items such as bulbs, wiper blades, fuses, brake pads, etc.*
  • 8-year/130,000 km - Major Emission Components that guarantee that the car will conform with government emission regulations. *
  • 5 year/ unlimited mileage - 24/7 roadside Assistance covers you in case of mechanical breakdown.
Source: Kia Canada
Here is a link to US warranty . Not sure if this applies to Canada. Has anyone purchase extended warranty from third party or online through another dealer at a discounted cost?

Font Parallel Number Rectangle Event

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind
149 Posts
On average, no, it's not worth it. They wouldn't sell it if they paid out more than they charged for it. The question is, do you feel lucky? If you do have display failure after the 36K factory warranty expires it's going to be pricey.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not directly on point, obv, but I had a Chevy Bolt for 3 years (lease), and my repair costs were $0.00. The only service I had done was what was required by the schedule, and occasional software/firmware upgrades that GM made their dealers do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have an 8-year old Nissan Leaf with 60k miles on it and except for some recalls, the only thing we have had to do is replace the brake fluid and the air filter. And some new tires of course.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was on the fence and didn’t purchase an extended warranty initially. But after doing some research $1500 for the transferable 10 year Kia bumper to bumper platinum warranty seemed like a pretty good deal so I called them back and added it on.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
252 Posts
I was on the fence and didn’t purchase an extended warranty initially. But after doing some research $1500 for the transferable 10 year Kia bumper to bumper platinum warranty seemed like a pretty good deal so I called them back and added it on.
EVs should be extremely reliable, and my experience with both Hyundai and Kia has been that their cars are in general very reliable, but 10 years is a long time. I owned a Hyundai Vera Cruz, and only had two out of warranty problems. One was an outside auto-dimming mirror whose LCD degraded in the sun and developed a huge black spot in the middle. Replacing the glass -- not the whole mirror -- was over $500 just for the part.

The point is that even though the drive train is EV, there's still a lot of normal car parts in there, and something will break given enough time. If a 6 inch piece of glass can cost over $500, a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty for $1500 sounds like a good investment. I think you made a wise choice.

·
Registered
EV6 FE
47 Posts
Can you purchase extended warranty from a different dealer ? Can you share the name of your dealer who is charging $1500 for extended warranty

·
Registered
326 Posts
My dealer asking $2100 for extended warranty for 10 years, 100,000 miles bumper to bumper with full rental car coverage, towing, etc. And fully transferrable. I had 2 recent repairs on my other vehicles. In each case dealership had no loaners and rental car companies charging $65 to $125/day for crappy rental cars. My dealer said they will give you a loaner no matter what, even if they need car for several weeks to repair. There is a lot to go wrong on an EV6 FE. Just the ventilated seats or camera or audio head end will be a fortune without coverage. Like any other insurance policy, you pay up front to reduce your risk of future financial loss. Only time will tell if your investment was profitable or not. Also, how much anxiety do you have over potential car repair bills that pop up?

·
Registered
36 Posts
On average, no, it's not worth it. They wouldn't sell it if they paid out more than they charged for it. The question is, do you feel lucky? If you do have display failure after the 36K factory warranty expires it's going to be pricey.
For that reason alone, and because of previous issues (Chevy Volt at 9years) we took the warranty for added piece (peace?) of mind :)
Yeh... peace ...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm not sure if/how it gets added after the fact, but I bought my car/warranty through Kia of Carson in southern california.
Can you answer some questions for me? My dealer offered to sell us a Kia extended warranty for 10 years bumper to bumper 100K miles. I told him we needed to think about this a couple of days. Our dealership sells the portfolioco.com extended warranties. Apparently there is no extended warranty offered directly from Kia. Portfolioco.com is an insurance company that sells lots of different service plans via a dealership network. You can go right onto their website and download the customer brochures for the different levels of protection. I don't see any reason that any dealership would not sell you this coverage for a new vehicle since they make a commission. What warranty did you purchase and what is the company selling the warranty?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can you answer some questions for me? My dealer offered to sell us a Kia extended warranty for 10 years bumper to bumper 100K miles. I told him we needed to think about this a couple of days. Our dealership sells the portfolioco.com extended warranties. Apparently there is no extended warranty offered directly from Kia. Portfolioco.com is an insurance company that sells lots of different service plans via a dealership network. You can go right onto their website and download the customer brochures for the different levels of protection. I don't see any reason that any dealership would not sell you this coverage for a new vehicle since they make a commission. What warranty did you purchase and what is the company selling the warranty?
I got a 10year/100k mile w/ $100 deductible. the underwriting company is PowerProtect

1 - 16 of 16 Posts