Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been seriously considering the EV6 and the high markups in NJ are making me wonder if it is a good value. On paper it makes the upcoming Nissan Ariya look much better (I have no affiliation with Nissan). When I spoke to a local Nissan dealer he said there would be no markup. Below are some pros and cons for each.

EV6
*Has blind spot view monitor for Wind as option
*Faster charging (10 to 80% in 18 minutes versus 40 minutes for the Nissan)
*Longer basic warranty (60 vs 36 months)
*Better sound system

Ariya
*Nissan claims that the Ariya will have true OTA updates covering more than just the infotainment system (BIG)
*Moonroof available in lower trim levels
*The front wheel drive version has slightly better range than the AWD of the the EV6 (285 vs 276)

If you compare the Ariya Evolve+ at $49k with FWD and the EV6 at ~$59 with the crazy markups it gives one pause. If you compare the Ariya Platinum Plus with AWD it has slightly lower mileage at 265, but it has real leather seats. I guess no one really knows how the Ariya drives at this point, but the EV6 markups look like a value killer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Even in the case of established manufacturers, I generally view EVs as vaporware until actually delivered to customers, given how delayed so many of them have been - and I definitely don't trust manufacturers' price or range numbers, or really even the EPA range estimates, as the real-life numbers found by the car mags tend to diverge wildly from the press releases. (Remember the EV6 was supposed to be a 300+ mile car.)

If you don't have an issue waiting for six months and then deciding whether the Ariya looks like a better option, then go for it, but there's nothing in the promised specs (given how much I discount them by default) that would make be wait for it, personally.

·
Registered
326 Posts
IMO you should never compare a FWD vehicle to a RWD vehicle. The RWD is far superior in every condition and weight distribution. Nissan went cheap on this one. As for charging speed, don't be the fool. All batteries that are rechargeable have a characteristic charging curve. This outlines the initial charge current they can accept depending on their state of charge and for how long it can be taken until it slows down to a crawl that ends at 100 percent. Imagine filling an empty 24 oz. glass with water. First you just pour it fast, but then as it nears the top, you slow way down so as not to spill over the top. Same concept. The taunted 800 volt architecture is protection for the next maybe 5-10 years. Right now, its only value is at a 350 kW DC fast charger and there are very few of those. At lower speed chargers and home chargers, it is no faster. The Ariya is "supposed" to have optimized charging speeds at lower voltages to reduce time. This is possible by altering the battery cell chemistries specific to the vehicle.
I have an Ariya Platinum+ reservation. Doesn't mean I'm buying the vehicle.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The big arguments for Ariya, Solterra, bz4x - is the ability to possibly go offroad (lightly) which I would never do in a EV6, Ioniq 5, Model Y, Mach-E, etc.

I don't know the ground clearance for the Ariya, but I know the Solterra is 8" plus which is like the ID.4 clearance. My ID.4 was glitchy mess so I would not recommend it but the size/spec wise it's a perfect family SUV with the ability to drive it off pavement. Most other EVs barely have any more clearance than a Camry.

·
Registered
GT-Line.
492 Posts
The big arguments for Ariya, Solterra, bz4x - is the ability to possibly go offroad (lightly) which I would never do in a EV6, Ioniq 5, Model Y, Mach-E, etc.

I don't know the ground clearance for the Ariya, but I know the Solterra is 8" plus which is like the ID.4 clearance. My ID.4 was glitchy mess so I would not recommend it but the size/spec wise it's a perfect family SUV with the ability to drive it off pavement. Most other EVs barely have any more clearance than a Camry.
If someone wants to go off-road in an EV, look at the Chevy Silverado, GMC Hummer, and Tesla Cyber Truck.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If someone wants to go off-road in an EV, look at the Chevy Silverado, GMC Hummer, and Tesla Cyber Truck.
EV trucks are going flop hard in 2022. They will drive 200 miles and run out of electrons because the efficiency is like a brick and there's no place to charge them. Owners will be selling them weeks/months after purchasing.

The current set of EVs are basically road-only wagons/sedans - what I want and probably many others is an Outback EV.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have been seriously considering the EV6 and the high markups in NJ are making me wonder if it is a good value. On paper it makes the upcoming Nissan Ariya look much better (I have no affiliation with Nissan). When I spoke to a local Nissan dealer he said there would be no markup. Below are some pros and cons for each.

EV6
*Better sound system

Ariya
*Nissan claims that the Ariya will have true OTA updates covering more than just the infotainment system (BIG)
*The front wheel drive version has slightly better range than the AWD of the the EV6 (285 vs 276)

If you compare the Ariya Evolve+ at $49k with FWD and the EV6 at ~$59 with the crazy markups it gives one pause. If you compare the Ariya Platinum Plus with AWD it has slightly lower mileage at 265, but it has real leather seats. I guess no one really knows how the Ariya drives at this point, but the EV6 markups look like a value killer.
Just picked up my wife's EV6 FE (Matte Grey) last night. MSRP. No hassle, positive experience. There is profiteering out there, I get it, but you'll see the same thing with the Ariya if it ever arrives.
If I sell my house, I'll ask a price that the market will bear, so I get that some dealers will go high, but it will probably hurt them in the long run...

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Ariya has been delayed multiple times. Let’s see if it actually ships in the US before year end and how the reviews are. The EV6 is here today and has received excellent reviews.

There are lots of promising EVs on the horizon. It all depends on when you need/want a new car and how long you are willing to wait.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was following the Ariya very closely until I saw the EV6/Ioniq 5 and the Lyriq. I think these are more compelling vehicles, mostly based on what you described at the start of the post. The Ariya is abit vaporwareish...lets see what the EPA range is.....or has this been established?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ariya looks like the typical "YAWN" of an offering from Nissan they have been mundane since the early 2000s outside of the Z cars. Maybe it's just me but that is more bland than an ID4. A typical play it safe Nissan design.

·
Registered
5 Posts

EV6
*Better sound system

Ariya

Walk away from EV6 and the greedy kia dealers. The car has terrible rear visibility and matte paint is a nightmare.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts