Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on an ID.4 forum yesterday - Tesla upped the price of their lowest Model 3s and now there are no Tesla models that qualify for federal rebates under the iZEV program.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Circle

Additionally:
Font Circle Handwriting Rectangle Art

$48M at $5k per BEV is just shy of 10,000 cars, but remember that PHEVs also qualify. In addition to the fact these funds may likely be exhausted before the EV6s start arriving in "Spring 2022," the program is slated to end 2022-03-31. The Liberals did promise to increase the iZEV funding, but I haven't seen any action around that yet.

I still doubt the GT-Line will qualify, but maybe it'll have a base MSRP low enough and "Package 2" gets it "optioned" to the price Kia wants to charge. We'll see... if they ever publish the dang pricing!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Not to mention the ID.4 and Ioniq 5 are arriving (and whenever Toyota ups its production capacity for RAV4 Prime) so we'll need a top up prior to March for sure.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I saw this on an ID.4 forum yesterday - Tesla upped the price of their lowest Model 3s and now there are no Tesla models that qualify for federal rebates under the iZEV program.

View attachment 947

Additionally:
View attachment 948

$48M at $5k per BEV is just shy of 10,000 cars, but remember that PHEVs also qualify. In addition to the fact these funds may likely be exhausted before the EV6s start arriving in "Spring 2022," the program is slated to end 2022-03-31. The Liberals did promise to increase the iZEV funding, but I haven't seen any action around that yet.

I still doubt the GT-Line will qualify, but maybe it'll have a base MSRP low enough and "Package 2" gets it "optioned" to the price Kia wants to charge. We'll see... if they ever publish the dang pricing!
The Ionic 5 is now on the list. The preferred AWD Long Range starts at $52,114 the Ultimate package. adds another 8k. This follows the route that the id4 took with their 8k statement package. I would hope Kia would follow Hyundai's lead. I just wonder what they are waiting for,
2022HyundaiIONIQ 5Essential
Preferred
Preferred Long Range
Preferred AWD Long Range
BEV

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interestingly, I was speaking with Hyundai today. The Preferred AWD Long Range "Ultimate Package" was not allowed to be included in iZEV because they deemed it "not a package" because it wasn't available on other trim levels. If the same package was available as an add-on to, say, the RWD version then all of the available trims/options would've been covered by iZEV.

Bear in mind this was a salesperson, and I find a lot of car salespeople tend to make stuff up when they don't know the answer. This person offered this information without being asked, which makes it more likely to be true in my experience.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sure hope he is wrong. I specifically asked my sales guy to check with management before I changed my trim level a few weeks back when the ordering started. They said it would definitely qualify.
If I can't get the Ultimate trim with iZev I will be quite pissed because I dropped down quite a few places in the order line to upgrade to the AWD Ultimate.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sure hope he is wrong. I specifically asked my sales guy to check with management before I changed my trim level a few weeks back when the ordering started. They said it would definitely qualify.
If I can't get the Ultimate trim with iZev I will be quite pissed because I dropped down quite a few places in the order line to upgrade to the AWD Ultimate.
Alberta dealer quoting Ioniq 5 Ultimate with the rebate
dynalyte (u/dynalyte) - Reddit

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ontario Liberals have promised incentives up to $8K for vehicles with 6 seats and with MSRP under $55K, following same methodology as Feds, and up to $1500 for in-home charge....if they get elected in the summer. Wouldn't that be awesome if this stacked with the feds $5K?

I agree that may be why they are waiting on pricing announcement, which a local dealer said should come towards end of Jan. That said, I encourage all to write to Kia to make sure they are aware of the incentive criteria so they don't price the EV6 outside the range. I just wrote Kia Canada today.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Looks like there are big changes to iZEV coming. I am still thinking KIa will try to delay pricing until this is done.

"The federal government wants to overhaul the rebate program for electric vehicles so that it more closely aligns with the kinds of cars Canadians want to buy, says Transport Minister Omar Alghabra."
EV rebate program retooling could include SUVs and pickups, says Transport Min. - National | Globalnews.ca

That's quite the promise! If you guys can get 8k that will be excellent. When are your elections?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting. Hopefully it does not negatively impact eligibility of the EV6.

Elections...likely June. That's quite a ways away, and even if the elected government has commitments for incentives, then the question becomes of how long it takes to implement them. At this point, I think I am going to wait before placing an order at least until KIA announces pricing, fully understanding that I may not get a vehicle before Q4 of this calendar year. It's all a crapshoot I suppose.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My EV6 order is supposed to arrive sometime in the spring so I hope they have this all wrapped up by then.
It does sound like the limits will be raised which will likely mean Kia can charge more and still be grant eligible. I assume they want to charge more otherwise they would have already released pricing as Hyundai did.
If they charge too much more the Ionic 5 will be more attractive since it already qualifies and is priced decently.

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My EV6 order is supposed to arrive sometime in the spring so I hope they have this all wrapped up by then.
It does sound like the limits will be raised which will likely mean Kia can charge more and still be grant eligible. I assume they want to charge more otherwise they would have already released pricing as Hyundai did.
If they charge too much more the Ionic 5 will be more attractive since it already qualifies and is priced decently.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if Kia's slow-walking Canadian pricing (or price structure) in order to await the federal decision / influence it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Especially if they're anticipating a long waiting list (that PDF with estimated delivery times into Sept). That means they won't want to change the pricing until Sept otherwise it'll be a bad PR move for those people waiting for deliveries. Thus, they'd rather wait as long as possible to set the price for the 2022 MY.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Actually, the top level trim of the Ioniq 5, Ultimate, does not currently qualify. I hope they raise the limit so that I can get the top level ev6 and still be eligible for rebates. I can't imagine Kia pricing being much off the Ioniq 5. Aren't Kia vehicles generally more competitively priced than Hyundai equivalents? And is the ev6 more expensive than the Ioniq 5 in other markets?

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually, the top level trim of the Ioniq 5, Ultimate, does not currently qualify. I hope they raise the limit so that I can get the top level ev6 and still be eligible for rebates. I can't imagine Kia pricing being much off the Ioniq 5. Aren't Kia vehicles generally more competitively priced than Hyundai equivalents? And is the ev6 more expensive than the Ioniq 5 in other markets?
Depends on who you ask, actually. The "Ultimate" is technically sold as a "Preferred Long Range AWD with Ultimate Pack" and the 'Preferred Long Range AWD" is covered by iZEV. And iZEV is dictated by the base car before add-on packages (which is how you can get an ID.4 AWD fully-loaded - it's an options pack.

Sounds like none of those have been delivered yet, so until somebody takes possession we likely won't know.

ETA: My Hyundai dealer originally thought the "Ultimate" was excluded but has since informed me it'll be covered. Not that it matters, my build is scheduled for July and iZEV expires before then (and if it's renewed to go beyond March 2021 it sounds like it'll be a re-imagined program anyways)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts