Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very happy with my new RWD Air in general but there is just one thing that's bugging me. When I floor the accelerator, not all the time, but most of the time there is a judder before it accelerates smoothly. It's not related to cruise control. I can't work out what it's correlated with and was wondering if anyone else has this problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm very happy with my new RWD Air in general but there is just one thing that's bugging me. When I floor the accelerator, not all the time, but most of the time there is a judder before it accelerates smoothly. It's not related to cruise control. I can't work out what it's correlated with and was wondering if anyone else has this problem.
I drive an air and I have not noticed anything to do with acceleration. Infact it is great in normal and sport mode.

the one thing I noticed is that the higher setting you have the regen on the worse the acceleration is in general.

so maybe try a journey with no regen and see if this helps?
I’ve now found my happy place with low setting auto regen

·
Registered
51 Posts
Might be a daft suggestion but maybe it is rear wheel slip, or rather traction control intervention? Giving it the full beans might be causing it to intervene.

Bruce

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
627 Posts
I am very confident that it's traction control. Make sure that your tire pressure isn't too high. You'll want it around 35psi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Bob, I noticed the same thing. I use most of the time the ECO driving mode, but as mentioned @MurlinatoR , I think it's related to the traction control since it's happening when I step on the gas from almost 0 to 100%. I will keep you posted if I figure something out around this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Bob, I noticed the same thing. I use most of the time the ECO driving mode, but as mentioned @MurlinatoR , I think it's related to the traction control since it's happening when I step on the gas from almost 0 to 100%. I will keep you posted if I figure something out around this.
Now that takes some talent in an EV6!

·
Super Moderator
540 Posts
Was the road wet, could it have been wheel spin and the traction control trying to control the wheel spin?

You could try turning the traction control off ands see if it will do the same thing but be careful as traction control is there to aid you.

Try to do a test on the same safe road with it on and off, it it stops when its off then its the traction control trying to stop wheel spin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your first and only post it's to say that? 👌🏼
Yup, that's all I got. I have been lurking for quite a while, but I'm in the U.S. and so it's all wait and see. No great insights or even speculations to share. But this post did catch my attention. Here is my analogy. When cars first came out, they were positioned as horseless carriages. "Carriage" probably felt more understandable and reassuring. It's just a carriage but no horse! Of course the world quickly moved beyond that. Now EVs come out, and they are essentially positioned as "gas-less cars." That again is the comfortable paradigm. So we talk about "stepping on the gas" although there is no gas involved. To me, it feels like the EV6 is part of that first step to a new paradigm, as it built from the ground as an EV. I do wonder what the future will hold, what barriers in our conception of "car-ness" remain to be broken. But I even more wonder when in the heck I will be able to order my EV6!

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is currently a Traction Control Software update out to cure the judder on acceleration

A lot of cars (Mine Included) are having issues even when on the Motorway and flooring it at 60mph Traction Control is cutting in and cutting power.

Software fix cures this, call your dealer and ask them to check on the system if it applies to your car.,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Might have to get mine in for that software update!

On Saturday last week, I accelerated (possibly a little too heavily) from a standstill at a roundabout, and the car almost span out on me! The roads were a little slippy due to overnight frost etc.... Never experienced anything like that previously in this car (or any other!).

Luckily managed to keep it under control, but the car motioned so violently I bumped my head against the door!

Just wondering if this issue with Traction Control played any part in the way the car behaved.

·
Registered
289 Posts
On Saturday last week, I accelerated (possibly a little too heavily) from a standstill at a roundabout, and the car almost span out on me! The roads were a little slippy due to overnight frost etc.... Never experienced anything like that previously in this car (or any other!).
Hopefully the ABS/traction control update will resolve that. There's a similar story in the Facebook group:
Anybody have any problems with the traction control, as my partner was driving today, I was in the front seat and doing 40 km per hour going around a slight bend it fishtailed to the left and right just missing a car coming towards us but she held it well, the colour is coming back into my body now and heart rate is nearly back to normal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't want to be harsh but if you have an RWD EV with 350Nm of instant torque and 225bhp and 'floor it', or wazz it into a roundabout on a frosty road I would think perhaps a) you need to be happy the TCS intervened and b) maybe consider your driving style?

We have had a BMW i3 for over 3 years (125bhp and RWD). You quickly realise that it just shoots from standstill. I recall it is faster to 30 than any ICE car in their range including the M3. On skinny tyres too!

EVs need a bit of respect from the right foot, especially from standstill. Sure the traction control needs to work well and smoothly but these things are not perfect and perhaps better not to trigger it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't want to be harsh but if you have an RWD EV with 350Nm of instant torque and 225bhp and 'floor it', or wazz it into a roundabout on a frosty road I would think perhaps a) you need to be happy the TCS intervened and b) maybe consider your driving style?

We have had a BMW i3 for over 3 years (125bhp and RWD). You quickly realise that it just shoots from standstill. I recall it is faster to 30 than any ICE car in their range including the M3. On skinny tyres too!

EVs need a bit of respect from the right foot, especially from standstill. Sure the traction control needs to work well and smoothly but these things are not perfect and perhaps better not to trigger it?
Mine is an AWD. I admitted I may have accelerated a little too fast - but under no circumstances did I "floor it" (*I never was a "boy racer" - and no intention to start now).

So please don't speculate and keep comments like that to yourself thank you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A previous poster used the phrase 'floor it' if you look higher up the thread. Hence my use of that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting conversation with my local Kia dealer Service Team... they reckon that one of the Sales Team in the dealer took one of the demo cars out on a "wet road" and they also had the backend spin out on them. That was a RWD model. Was quite shocking that she thought that the EV6 was only available in RWD, when I informed her mine was AWD she started to question me on it.... and informed how to tell the difference by looking at the frunk!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Watched a YouTube video over the weekend, with a UK owner who has owned their EV6 for only one week. In the video he stated that he had also nearly spun out after going over a roundabout.

I wonder if this issue is only affecting right hand drive EV6s? Possibly that the car has been calibrated for lefties, and we are seeing this behaviour because of that?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts