Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On reddit they said there is a stop sale on the Ioniq5 due to a shifter problem on those built between Oct & April. Reason I mention this is does our EV6's use a lot of the same mechanical parts. Anyone else hear this. My Wind rwd was built in Feb.

·
Registered
365 Posts
On these cars the "shifter" is nothing but an electric switch and the switches seem quite different on the two cars.
The fault is with the signal that tells the parking pawl in the reduction gearbox to engage or not. Nothing to do with the physical thing you touch.

The fault is that noise on that signal can cause the parking pawl to erroneously disengage even while the vehicle is parked and unattended, so if you're parked on a hill and get unlucky, your car might just suddenly roll away. An easy temporary mitigation would be to just habitually use the electronic parking brake when you park, which I will be doing until it's clear whether the EV6 is impacted.

I'd be willing to bet the noise-prone ECU (or ECUs) are shared between the two cars, so I wouldn't be surprised if the EV6 is next.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ioniq5/comments/uobjkw/_/i8dx4h0

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
249 Posts
This might be a good time to review the DMV manual regarding which way to turn your wheels when parked on a hill.

Nobody (except me) ever seems to do that (or use turn signals, etc.), but I actually had a neighbor's car roll away into one of my cars once. If the wheels had been turned, the curb would have stopped it.

Nobody thinks the rules apply to them. Or physics, I suppose.

FWIW, in all cars including our EV6, I always use the parking brake when parked. It takes about one second to engage and it disengages automatically.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
216 Posts
The men, my father, grandfather, and uncles, that taught me to drive in the early 60’s, drilled into my head that you look both ways before pulling out, look over your shoulder after turning on your signal, don’t trust your mirrors as there are blind spots (less now with our cameras, but I still do look LOL), always curb your wheels to prevent roll-aways, using the correct tire direction depending on circumstances, set the parking brake, which was mechanical, to prevent the weight of the car sitting on the gears of the transmission, then put the tranny in park. My father also logged into a book for each car, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, that was done to said car. He said that the way to know how your car was doing. You can catch things before it is too late or breaks.

Yes, I still do all of these to this day. I have switched from a physical book to a great iOS app, Road Trip by Darren Stone. And he has updated it for EVs. I bought my 2001 Lexus LS430 in 2004 as a lease return with 35,000 miles. I sold it December 2021 with 437,820 miles. Yes, the new owner got a complete dump of everything that had happened to that car into Excel.

My wife thinks I’m crazy. My mechanic for the Lexus bragged about it and said he wished everyone would do that. LOL He’d test me in front of other customers by asking when was the first time he did something and what did it cost and how many times did he do that maintenance since.

I just can’t stop. I suppose being ADHA and OCD to a degree helps. ROFL 🤪

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT Line AWD Runway Red
54 Posts
My parking brake comes on automatically when I shift into park. Hopefully it doesn't hit the EV6, or, if it does, they have a readily available fix. Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My parking brake comes on automatically when I shift into park. Hopefully it doesn't hit the EV6, or, if it does, they have a readily available fix. Cheers!
Are you sure it's the parking brake or just the "gearbox" park shift lock? Mine wobbles on a slight slope regardless what I do unless I engage the e-brake manually

·
Registered
628 Posts
Are you sure it's the parking brake or just the "gearbox" park shift lock? Mine wobbles on a slight slope regardless what I do unless I engage the e-brake manually
I think it only comes on automatically if you use auto-hold.

·
Registered
FE Glacier 1500/1500
89 Posts
The fault is with the signal that tells the parking pawl in the reduction gearbox to engage or not. Nothing to do with the physical thing you touch.

The fault is that noise on that signal can cause the parking pawl to erroneously disengage even while the vehicle is parked and unattended, so if you're parked on a hill and get unlucky, your car might just suddenly roll away. An easy temporary mitigation would be to just habitually use the electronic parking brake when you park, which I will be doing until it's clear whether the EV6 is impacted.

I'd be willing to bet the noise-prone ECU (or ECUs) are shared between the two cars, so I wouldn't be surprised if the EV6 is next.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ioniq5/comments/uobjkw/_/i8dx4h0
Autohold will automatically apply your emergency brake when parking.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT Line AWD Runway Red
54 Posts
Like others say, yes, I use auto hold. It has been a bit jarring when parking on a slope and putting it in gear after starting it. It will clunk a little after the brakes release and it settles. Cheers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts