Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Powered by diesel (for now).
177 Posts
Don’t really understand your question.

But a RWD model will go further than an AWD model, if both are in the same mode (Eco, Normal, Sport).
Also depends on size of the wheels, 19“ will give slightly better range than 20”.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I’d like to learn a bit more about Kia EV6’s range when in Eco mode. Is it comparable to the range of the all-wheel-drive model?
Here is the official UK range specs, obviously these are pure fiction but they give you an idea of the differences between RWD/AWD and 19"/20" wheel sizes.
Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Number

Reactions: KiaevCan

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
709 Posts
I think what @Ken Chalk is asking is whether someone had ever done a head-to-head test between an RWD and AWD of the same trim level, with both run in Eco mode (i.e. front engine disengaged for the AWD) and confirm whether real-world ranges still differ by so much.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think what @Ken Chalk is asking is whether someone had ever done a head-to-head test between an RWD and AWD of the same trim level, with both run in Eco mode (i.e. front engine disengaged for the AWD) and confirm whether real-world ranges still differ by so much.
As there is a weight difference, they would naturally have different ranges. By how much? Dunno

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also if the range in city is 426 and combined is 313 (for 20" tire), not sure what is the mix in the combined figure, does that mean the highway range is 200-ish under ideal condition? And if cold weather penalty is 40%, does this mean highway in Canadian winter is 120miles (190km!)?

Hope I'm wrong!

·
Registered
988 Posts
At -30°C? Probably. Except the first part of the journey when you leave the house since the battery will be warm from charging.

I plot a route from Edmonton to Calgary on ABRP for fun with temps at -25°C and 23°C assuming leaving Edmonton with 100% SOC. Both require a stop at Olds to arrive in Calgary with 10% The difference is that in the winter, the suggested charge time is 16 mins whilst in the summer, it’s 7 mins. You would arrive at Olds with 18% charge in the winter vs. 35% charge in the summer.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Even with the front motor disengaged, the front drivetrain (differential, half-sfafts) are still rotating any time the car is moving, so there is some friction from that, plus the extra weight.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Also if the range in city is 426 and combined is 313 (for 20" tire), not sure what is the mix in the combined figure, does that mean the highway range is 200-ish under ideal condition? And if cold weather penalty is 40%, does this mean highway in Canadian winter is 120miles (190km!)?

Hope I'm wrong!
Err yes - the WLTP combined figure is made up of 52% urban and 48% extra-urban (30 min lab test under strict conditions etc). So yep the open road range is not the best

·
Registered
Powered by diesel (for now).
177 Posts
I expect the WLTP is done on a rolling road as well, with no wind resistance, no gradient changes.
Same as how ICE cars are tested, to get big mpg figures.

Oh, and how cheat mode is enabled by all the manufacturers, not just VW.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I expect the WLTP is dine on a rolling road as well, with no wind resistance, no gradient changes.
Same as how ICE cars are tested, to get big mpg figures.

Oh, and how cheat mode is enabled by all the manufacturers, not just VW.
I think that's right - lab, rolling road, clearly defined parameters for speed etc - recall reading somewhere the temperature was 23° but can't find that reference now. Will try and find it and revert

·
Registered