Kia EV6 Forum banner
121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
🇨🇦 EV6 | GT-Line Package 2
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Heard this a few times. What’s that mean? You didn’t get to choose your color? You just get some random color?
My dealer said that they (Kia Korea) will start with building the top end (at this time) the GT-Line Package 2 in predominately the Snow White Pearl colour.
Reason being is that the colour is easier to produce and cheaper to apply than the rest. He mentioned that the Matte grey will have an up-charge as well.

Personally I am okay with this.
The Snow White Pearl on my Kia Stinger was easy to take care of and looked flawless after 2 years of Ontario winters.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My dealer said that they (Kia Korea) will start with building the top end (at this time) the GT-Line Package 2 in predominately the Snow White Pearl colour.
Reason being is that the colour is easier to produce and cheaper to apply than the rest. He mentioned that the Matte grey will have an up-charge as well.

The Snow White Pearl on my Kia Stinger was easy to take care of and looked flawless after 2 years of Ontario winters.
My dealer said, this aft., deliver early spring. I would not turn down white. That is usually the colour of vehicle that I end up with anyway.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Heard this a few times. What’s that mean? You didn’t get to choose your color? You just get some random color?
no. I take it to mean that I chose two colours in the pre-order form. He doesn’t know which of the two colours are assigned to me.

Kia Canada did say they’ll endeavour to fulfill the pre-orders within 3 months of the launch date so if I turn down the colour, I should get my first choice within 3 months of when they start the sale in Canada.

That dealer document that one of you guys posted said the approximate cost for the matte paint is $1,000

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Brief exchange with my dealer today to confirm no new info (pricing or shipping) has been released. Thought some might want to know.
Appreciate the update. Same thing here in the Okanagan, no updates but kind of expected given the holiday season. My Kia dealer here has no cars on the lot and everything is either pre-sold or flies off the lot within days he said.

On a more optimistic note - my friend who put down a deposit for a Long Range Ioniq 5 - has scheduled in a test drive in the coming weeks.

I'm personally getting geared up to install a charger in my Garage - yes kind of premature given the car is not even here, but with prices of conduit and labour going up, I'm thinking of locking in prices now for both the install and the charger itself.

·
Registered
255 Posts
(kinda off topic, but...)

Last week I got to drive an Ioniq 5 here at the coast. They only have the Preferred RWD (cloth, no glass roof, etc.) for test drives, but it was interesting to compare it to the Mach-E and XC40 that I've driven. My assessment:
1) Meh.
2) Wow, lots of space and great sightlines

That's it. It felt like a $20k el-cheapo car (but with newer tech) married to a $25k drivetrain. In sport mode and near-freezing temps I could get a little fun play in the back wheels, but it was very "floaty" to drive. Felt lower than the XC40 but obviously not anywhere close to as fast, and a little less sporty (handling and accel obviously) than the Mach-E AWDs I've driven, but much better use of space. The interior was DECIDEDLY not to my taste, but I'm holding out judgement until I can see an Ultimate in person.

A customer was also picking up their white one at the same time so I snapped a pic. Not really a fan of the Ioniq 5 palette, either. I think this car was made for someone rather unlike me.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design
Vehicle Car Window Automotive design Hood
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discouraging that it felt like an el-cheapo car. Do you think the Ultimate will change your mind? Thanks for the honesty, your review was probably the only one I have read that has anything majorly negative to say. I am going to test drive one next week so I will let you know how I feel.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discouraging that it felt like an el-cheapo car. Do you think the Ultimate will change your mind? Thanks for the honesty, your review was probably the only one I have read that has anything majorly negative to say. I am going to test drive one next week so I will let you know how I feel.
🤷‍♂️ I have pretty high expectations. I own two premium, high-HP cars today ('14 Corvette and '17 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport) and am benchmarking from there (interestingly, the photos of the EV6 "cockpit" really remind me of how driver-centric my Vette is).

I suspect the Ultimate will "feel" a lot more premium and the AWD will be a bit more forceful on the road. Hyundai is a brand where the lower trims really feel cheap to me, but the top trim levels feel acceptable. I suspect the suspension tuning will be the achilles heel of the Ioniq 5 for me. Oh, and exterior design. My wife absolutely despises how it looks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I got to drive an Ioniq 5 Preferred Long Range RWD yesterday. Here are my thoughts.

Good:
  • Comfortable suspension
  • Decent handling. Weight control was good
  • i-Pedal was smooth
  • Auto regen was interesting and worked surprisingly well
  • HDA distance control was good and RSA was quick. I don’t think it has ISL so it didn’t change my speed when the speed limit changed
  • Pressing and holding the +/- switch changes the set CC speed by 10km/h (my current car goes in increments of 5 when holding +/-)
  • The heated steering wheel covered the whole wheel and not just the sides
  • The heated seats come on quickly at level 3
  • Visibility is good all around - rare in a modern car
  • Seating position was good
  • Plenty space in the rear
  • Cloth seats were decent
  • Nice cargo area and large but shallow underfloor storage
  • The backup camera has fantastic resolution and was bright and clear
  • It was quiet on city streets and decent on the highway. Some road noise made it into the cabin from around the A-pillar
  • Turning circle is ok
  • Steering ratio is ok (slightly slower than my current car but not terribly slow like my previous car)
Not so good:
  • Lane Keeping Assist System was aggressive and on corners, it would turn the steering wheel before I would normally turn, thus cutting the corner and riding the lane lines. Did this twice on left and right curves on the highway
  • I understand some reviewers’ comments on the lane keep constantly twitching the wheel left and right on straights.
  • The accelerator pedal seems dead in the first half of travel even in normal mode. I felt like I was driving in Eco mode. You don’t get that initial instant torque that other EVs and PHEVs give you. It could be the weight or (my guess) it’s the accelerator configuration. It seems to have a long pedal travel so if you dig deep, you’ll access that power (got up to highway speed without issue) but I feel for a non-car person that may not feel comfortable pressing hard or deep into the pedal, they may never find out the capabilities of the Ioniq 5.
  • Unless you get the Ultimate package with the sliding console, it seems like a waste of space between the console and the floor-mounted storage bin (which is a stretch to get to)
  • The far side of the screen is a stretch
  • The wing mirrors seem a bit small
  • The door panels are terrible hard plastics (and both front and rear already had scuffs on the upper door panel - car had 1,044km). This is the real letdown especially given the price of the car. On a Bolt, at least that starts at $38k vs. $45k for the HI5. The dashboard is fine
  • The steering wheel angle seems odd to me. It’s more tilted than a regular car (think more bus and less passenger car).
  • Front door is surprisingly light. Could be good or bad depending on your preference. I’m neutral on this.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
I got to drive an Ioniq 5 Preferred Long Range RWD yesterday. Here are my thoughts.

Not so good:
  • Lane Keeping Assist System was aggressive and on corners, it would turn the steering wheel before I would normally turn, this cutting the corner and riding the lane lines. Did this twice on left and right curves on the highway
  • Lane Keeping Assist System was aggressive and on corners, it would turn the steering wheel before I would normally turn, this cutting the corner and riding the lane lines. Did this twice on left and right curves on the highway
My Stinger felt the exact same - however the reasoning behind the aggressive LKA is because the Preferred you tested is still on Highway Driving Assist (HDA-I) version 1.

When I tested the GV70 a couple of months back with HDA-II it was a night and day difference between my stinger and what you are exactly describing.
HDA-I comes standard on all Ioniq 5 trims, except where the Ultimate trim gets HDA-II and above, which updates the entire gamut autonomous features, including but not limited to LKA.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My Stinger felt the exact same - however the reasoning behind the aggressive LKA is because the Preferred you tested is still on Highway Driving Assist (HDA-I) version 1.

When I tested the GV70 a couple of months back with HDA-II it was a night and day difference between my stinger and what you are exactly describing.
HDA-I comes standard on all Ioniq 5 trims, except where the Ultimate trim gets HDA-II and above, which updates the entire gamut autonomous features, including but not limited to LKA.
Bodes well for our pre-order then. I presume we’re getting the GT-Line Package 2 with HDA-II.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·

·
Registered
290 Posts
YES! This is confirmed coming for the GT Line Package 1 and above in that Dealer Pre-Order sheet from last month. (second page in the post below :))
I wonder when the North American media test drive is. It should be some time this month I'd imagine. There usually is a week or two of embargo thereafter which would put the review release date in mid-late February.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing and if anyone's heard any news.
Nothing on my end and it has been radio silence from both my dealer and ofcourse Kia Canada.

Also I know a bunch us are also contributing/following the American thread, but some of the recent stories around the markups for Ioniq 5s and their concerns down south is getting me nervous.
Last time I purchased a car was back in 2018, and it was a totally different type of market. I'm hoping these absurd $10K+ markups on some vehicles in the US is strictly isolated to the US market and not us.

@MurlinatoR It's good to know that your dealership doesn't add on extra fees and accessories. In NY (where I live) state law limits doc fees to $175 as of August 18, 2021 (it used to be $75) but dealers created other fees to get around the law. When I was shopping for the 2022 Sorento back in Oct/Nov, a lot of dealers had mandatory expensive accessories on top of the crazy markups on MSRP.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nothing here. I’m new to the Kia brand so I’m hoping others who have Kia’s before can chime in. I have noticed now that doc fees are added on (for Toyota, it was included in the MSRP until a few years ago). Toyota Canada also just started adding a “finance fee” if you lease or finance a Toyota via TFS last summer or last spring. But at least all of this is at the corporate level and not dealer level.

That said, I’ve seen dealers add PDI and Freight as two separate charges, essentially charging the $1,495-$1,795 PDI twice and pocketing one part of it. It’s “Freight and PDI” as one cost. I’m hoping my Kia dealer is honest.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm not sure it's legal in Canada. When I was ordering my Mach-E it was a $500 doc'n fee. At Kia and Hyundai, same thing, at VW I think it was $700? I'd have to look again. I got Hyundai to waive theirs, going to try with Kia but not at the expense of trade-in value etc. If you ask for one thing sometimes they just take it out of you somewhere else.

I asked Thurs and my dealer had not heard anything new. He's not proactively checking but he's been good at sharing stuff that's been sent to him by Kia Canada.

121 - 140 of 171 Posts