Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Together with Kia RWD LongRange I bought the Kia Mechanical Breakdown Protection,

Coverage
Type: 5 Star
Deductible: CAD100
Cost CAD3,850

I still have 30 days to think about it and cancel.
So I was wondering if anybody else bought it with any Kia EV vehicle, does it really work, pros and cons..?

Wheel Property Motor vehicle Light Product

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Pattern

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
I guess my things is that even in ICEV these are just a huge profit center for dealerships. On an EV about 90% of the parts that would be covered...don't exist in your car.

You have a 10 year 100k powertrain warranty (in the US).

I realize you get a loaner car, etc but at $3850?

Didn't check it completely but would it cover the electronics that Kia only covers for 3/36?

Seems pricey to me. I've have not had a single car need any type of overnight repair or service in the last 20 years. If I'd have purchased similar protection for all the car I have owned (even if I only bought a car every five years) that would be over $12,000.

Could cover more than a few days of car rentals and hotel rooms with those "savings" if I had to.

If this is your only vehicle, and you would have no way to get to work, etc in the event of a breakdown...maybe it's worth it to you. Only you can decide what's right for you!

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
745 Posts
Together with Kia RWD LongRange I bought the Kia Mechanical Breakdown Protection,

Coverage
Cost CAD3,850

So I was wondering if anybody else bought it with any Kia EV vehicle, does it really work, pros and cons..?

View attachment 6740

View attachment 6741
They should have an EV extended warranty that's about ½-⅓ that price. $3800 is STEEP. Somewhere in this forum I went through that same coverage document and highlighted everything on there that's not in an EV. At the time I was unaware of the cheaper EV extended warranty, but even at that you can buy extended warranties just before your regular warranty runs out, and you're not wasting money if you sell the car early or it gets written off or anything.

I'd cancel, and buy it later when you know you need it.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Coverage
Cost CAD3,850

View attachment 6740

View attachment 6741
Personally I don't see any positive benefit that will allow you to recover the amount invested for the additional coverage and to lower the cost of ''potential'' repair.

For electric vehicles the life expectency of the battery will greatly affect the potential resale value in the far future of the vehicle in 5 or 10 years.

Therefore, it is preferable to change your electric vehicle earlier than a combustion vehicle for the sole reason of the performance and the life expectency of the battery, therefore additional coverage is not required. Anyway it does not even cover the baterry replacement.

In conclusion don't take it. Invest the monthly fee of this addition in a saving account for your replacement EV is a better choice. You will get more in your pocket that way...

The KIA EV6 is a good and well ranked. I don't believe they are lemons therefor no need for an extra $$$ that will end up in dealers pocket vise yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts