Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out here in Colorado, we have lots of gravel and dirt back roads and ground clearance is a significant concern. Somewhere I had hear that the EV6 might have 7", which would not be bad relative to some other EVs. Not sure this is correct, though, as I think I saw it just on one site.

Then, recently while searching Kia EV6 ground clearance, I ran across the website for Courtesy Kia of Brandon near Tampa, Florida. If you scroll down on their site, you will find clearance listed as 10" along with this surprising (to me, anyhow) statement: "With an adaptive air suspension adding 3.6" of ride height, the 2022 EV6 sports a 10" ground clearance."

I have not seen any mention of an air suspension any other place. Is this site just wrong, or is this a real possibility? I think that would be a really significant feature, if it were real...does anyone know?

Registered
I'm interested to find out about this too. I think the ev6 is approx the same dimensions as my old first generation E53 X5. Need decent ground clearance living rural. The lack of rear dust wiper is just something I'll have to live with 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for finding that, which is likely where I got the 7" idea. I don't think there was any mention of an air suspension.

Registered
In this video Bj酶rn measured the ground clearance as 17.5 cm - just under 7 inches.

That's great thanks. So actually identical clearance to my old X5. Funnily enough the only dimension that is different by more than an inch is height. Can do without that anyway if needing to use a roof rack will make loading much easier. Cheers

Registered
Out here in Colorado, we have lots of gravel and dirt back roads and ground clearance is a significant concern. Somewhere I had hear that the EV6 might have 7", which would not be bad relative to some other EVs. Not sure this is correct, though, as I think I saw it just on one site.

Then, recently while searching Kia EV6 ground clearance, I ran across the website for Courtesy Kia of Brandon near Tampa, Florida. If you scroll down on their site, you will find clearance listed as 10" along with this surprising (to me, anyhow) statement: "With an adaptive air suspension adding 3.6" of ride height, the 2022 EV6 sports a 10" ground clearance."

I have not seen any mention of an air suspension any other place. Is this site just wrong, or is this a real possibility? I think that would be a really significant feature, if it were real...does anyone know?
I visited a static demo of the EV6 in the UK and the lowest ground clearance (just behind the front wheel) was measured as 8 inches.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great, good to have another measurement and it would be great if it is 8" instead of just under 7"!

Registered
Seems Hyundai/KIA parts supplier Mobis has developed and are probably installed in vehicles in Korea and possibly other parts of the world.

I suspect though, it would go on a higher end/larger vehicle and not the EV6. The Equus had it back in the day but I don't think they brought it over here with the Genesis vehicles however, that could happen in the future. For Hyundai/KIA, probably not.

Registered
... Kia EV6 ground clearance, I ran across the website for Courtesy Kia of Brandon near Tampa, Florida. If you scroll down on their site, you will find clearance listed as 10" along with this surprising (to me, anyhow) statement: "With an adaptive air suspension adding 3.6" of ride height, the 2022 EV6 sports a 10" ground clearance."

For EV6 specs, see UK site. However no clearance measurement mentioned and no listing of air suspension. The Kia EV6 Specifications | Kia UK

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, the U.K. specifications does not give the ground clearance, but I see under the top of the line GT version it lists "electronic controlled suspension." Googling this, it seems that this may just adjust ride characteristics electronically, but it also could include a height adjustment. If it does, it looks like only the most expensive EV6 in the UK will have that.

Registered
When I visited the car a week ago the dealer's staff measured the ground clearance at what was judged to be the lowest level (just behind the front wheel) which was found to be 8".

Registered
Yes, the U.K. specifications does not give the ground clearance, but I see under the top of the line GT version it lists "electronic controlled suspension." Googling this, it seems that this may just adjust ride characteristics electronically, but it also could include a height adjustment. If it does, it looks like only the most expensive EV6 in the UK will have that.
Keep in mind that "electronically controlled suspension" doesn't mean air suspension; it could mean (and most likely means) "adaptive suspension". This is where the shocks can be controlled to provide a comfortable ride or a better body control and less body roll by changing the shocks' characteristic.

The system on the Accord Touring is simply "adaptive suspension" but GM has the "MagnaRide" marketing name. Mercedes calls theirs "Active Body Control". Just to name a few.

Registered
I visited a static demo of the EV6 in the UK and the lowest ground clearance (just behind the front wheel) was measured as 8 inches.
Robert
Hope you don鈥檛 mind me asking since you have seen the EV 6 in the flesh, the car is promoted as an suv , I currently drive an Evoque, in your opinion is there a big difference in seating height as this is a huge issue with my wife馃う鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Robert
Hope you don鈥檛 mind me asking since you have seen the EV 6 in the flesh, the car is promoted as an suv , I currently drive an Evoque, in your opinion is there a big difference in seating height as this is a huge issue with my wife馃う鈥嶁檪锔
Sadly yes. It is a much lower sitting position than a true SUV.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts