Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is it true the cooling plate in the battery of the EV6 and Ioniq5 is one long series serpentine channel from the inlet to the outlet? I heard Kris Rifa youtuber, say Kia had a battery temperature max-min issue. The hottest battery module was too hot compared with the coldest battery module. Bjorn Nyland's suggested something similar and his data says max-min is about 10 to15 degreesC. I thought it was supposed to be lower than that (5degC is mentioned a lot) to help even charging of the modules. I saw a schematic, showing a left right flow pattern starting at one end and working down in a long series serpentine pattern to the outlet, in a hyundai video. Anyway the series cooling flow is designed to get the maximum inlet outlet coolant temperature difference and in this case the maximum battery temperature difference too. Any chemical engineers out there who know what the most efficient plumbing is to both cool and get the minimum temperature difference battery modules at the same time? I don't think a long straight row is the answer. I thought maybe a long axis u or serpentine (if inlet has to be at opposite end) for each half side of the battery inlet down to outlet back to inlet style so 2 inlets and two outlets, rather than across and back winding all the way down to the outlet. PS Heat scavenging the battery and coolant to a low temperature is probably just going to exacerbate the problem during charging as the coolant will tend to keep a temperature difference between one end of the battery and the other. So charging will be faster at the outlet end than the other, back to the high max- min temperature problem. Preheating a cold battery would help a bit as the inlet end might warm up a bit faster than the outlet end offsetting the bad effect of the heat scavenging which causes the opposite ie more cooling of the inlet end than the outlet end. It is easier with a diagram. Long, sorry, but where else can you ask this sort of stuff?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Here’s a video of opening up an Ioniq 5 pack. They have a couple showing the tear down and disassembly. Maybe it might help with understanding the cooling.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Followup to my comment above. The video was an advertising you tube from Hyundai (youtube.com/watch?v=AzUGmQt_1ks&t=844s ) 13:30 minutes in. If it represents the design not just a cartoon it doesn't look efficient at minimizing inlet battery- outlet battery module temperatures. It is simple and cheap to plumb but I suspect not helping the charging much. Perhaps they need to test some other coolant patterns? Preheating will probably help a little as it will help cancel out the heat pump scavenge cold temps (ie warm up the inlet end a bit more than the exit end) so when the battery gets hot and the coolant flows the inlet end might not be so much cooler than the exit end. Most people on daily drives from a warm garage will probably never notice any thing if they keep away from very fast chargers on cold days.

Possible alternate plumbing maybe?
Product Gesture Font Line Blazer
Rectangle Parallel Electric blue Tints and shades Art

1 - 7 of 7 Posts