Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Looking for some guidance from those who have been lucky enough to take delivery of their EV6's. Can you tell me more about the licence plate surround, from UK model images it seems licence plates are mounted on a black backing frame/surround?, can these frames be removed?. The reason being is I have Hex shaped plates already front and rear which are standard licence plate length and would fit ok but may look a little odd on the frame

Attached is an image of a hex plate mockup on an EV6 and the EV6 surround backing section I talk of above. Are those screw holes to remove the black backing pate?.

Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello.
I have also looked at that detail for the new car and as the fullequip version has been ordered here in Spain I have discovered a curious detail.

I also have a Tesla Model 3 and the first thing I did was remove the license plate holders or frames to directly glue the plates to the car, getting a different look and being able to wash the car much better.

The detail in the EV6 is that if you have a GT version is that if you remove the license plate holder and stick the license plate to the bumper as seen in that photo and many others, do not forget that if you rush the car in front of a wall, the two lower peaks of the skirt will hit .... before, nothing else.

That is the only problem for the license plate holder if it is a GT version. If you leave the license plate, which seems ugly to me, it will be the license plate that hits the wall when you park it, for example.

Personally, the front is much better and cleaner, in addition to what I said before, it is easier to wash or clean it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point actually, however, I think the two lower peaks/points will hit the wall anyway even with the holder attached, maybe on GT version those stick out more?. Not sure why there are plate holders anyway, most cars use sticky pads to attach them.. I can only presume there are screws holding the plate holder on, they can be remove.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will ask for sure. I also noticed on my order form that delivery and number plates come A cool £500+… wonder how much is on plates alone.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Probably about £5.

Reactions: Logicpro8

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line
43 Posts
There is a big mount on the front which just sticks out and looks bad.
Also the dealers usually wanna ship their own licensplate bracket where they include their own company name.

Anyways, I bought these Ramlös Hållare till Registreringsskylt – 2-pack – Inklusive Monteringsskruv – Standard EU-storlek – 52 x 11 cm : Amazon.se: Fordon and it was easy to replace. The original mounts leave screw hole (of course), and the new ones doesn't fit exactly the same, so you get to do an additional ~6 holes. But it's just plastic and won't ever show anyways.

See attached pictures for results. The car looks much more flush with these plate mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a big mount on the front which just sticks out and looks bad.
Also the dealers usually wanna ship their own licensplate bracket where they include their own company name.

Anyways, I bought these Ramlös Hållare till Registreringsskylt – 2-pack – Inklusive Monteringsskruv – Standard EU-storlek – 52 x 11 cm : Amazon.se: Fordon and it was easy to replace. The original mounts leave screw hole (of course), and the new ones doesn't fit exactly the same, so you get to do an additional ~6 holes. But it's just plastic and won't ever show anyways.

See attached pictures for results. The car looks much more flush with these plate mounts.
Nice! so it is removable, the Kia one does stick out a little too much and if you get Hex shaped number plates it would just look weird :) if the hole on the car are standard EU size I presume the hole in the plates line up with them and can screw into the car as well, much like my Audi A4, screws go directly into the car rather than into a mount, on my older BMW they were stuck on with mounting tape :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
As I said, it is more comfortable and clean to stick them with special 3M tapes that allow, if you need to remove them without breaking the paint and it is visually cleaner.

The screws at the end, a small bump or someone clueless cause those anchors to bend or break, ending with the license plate broken or fallen.

An example in my Tesla that by shape, it is more difficult to make it look good and clean. In the EV6 with a clean and flat front it looks much better.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2 Moon - Passed on my FE
143 Posts
I'm just wishing our North American plates were shaped as thinly. I hate how tall our plates our in comparison.
I personally prefer North American plates but also live in a state that has no front plate requirement where UK plates look better I think versus rear where North America plates look better … IMO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts