Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
So I am really disappointed but the event in Epsom has been cancelled tomorrow. I understand there is illness at the Dealership. I got the impression from the tone it was serious rather than someone off with a cold.
The COVID Delta variant is running rampant through the UK and any Kia dealer is going to need enough staff to manage the people wanting to crowd around the new car. I can't see any way that we won't see more of this in the next month - though it must be awfully frustrating!

I'm due to see the EV6 this afternoon at 6.00pm and I will be gutted if it gets called off too!

·
Registered
72 Posts
My previous post last night keeps saying "Awaiting approval from Moderator" so I've copied and pasted it again here. Sorry if this means you end up with a double post!;

OK, so just back from the Tates Pyecombe EV6 "Reveal" just outside Brighton.

Not sure I have anything to add to what the helpful people have posted before but here goes;

POSITIVES

1. I LOVE the look of this car - I liked the Mach-E but this really seems a step up. The car I saw was a EV6 GT-Line in Steel Matte Grey. I've ordered a GT-Line S in Steel Matte Grey and I've read all of the posts about the paintwork - but boy, this is a lovely looking car! I've also read about how people don't like the rear aspect of the EV6, but I loved it. The "haunches" really reminded me of the Mach-E - it's a powerful-looking car!

2. Build quality was MUCH better than in the Mach-E that I drove - really noticeably so. Now that was an entry-level Mach-E and this is one step up from the entry level - but it was a whole different experience being in the car. It was LOVELY! It felt "Premium" which the entry-level Mach-E really didn't. I couldn't get the "floating' centre console to wobble - everything seemed well screwed down and the materials felt really good - soft where they should be and hard everywhere else.

3. The car feels very driver-centric from the driving seat - and I don't care as I'll be the one driving it - BUT my 19 yr old daughter came with me and said she didn't get that felling when she was in the passenger seat - though please note that we weren't driving it.

4. Comfy seats front and back. I agree with the previous comments about the floor being high in the rear - but that didn't stop me feeling like the rear was also a nice place to be and the flat floor helped that feeling. The lack of under-thigh support didn't feel like it would be an issue - but I wasn't sitting there for 2 hours on bumpy roads! The front seats were MUCH nicer than the entry-level Mach-E - a really noticeably difference though this EV6 was not the entry level one.

5. The two cockpit screens were clear and responsive, though what you could view on them was a little bit limited as the car wasn't "switched on"! I wanted to view the camera views but nobody seemed to know how to put that on. Still I liked what I saw - especially the 2-function setup for radio and climate control - easy to reach though not sure if it would be quite that easy on the motorway!

6. Steering wheel was great and in my seating position (I'm 6 ft) the 2 screens were easily visible. Switches and paddles on the steering wheel seemed really "premium"- nothing that felt cheap and plasticky.

7. It didn't feel dark in the car like I have heard some report. We were right next to a bright showroom window and that might have helped, but it really didn't seem dark at all. I'm getting the GT-Line S which comes with a sunroof, but I'm not sure that is essential after today's sit-in.

8. I had really NOT been a fan of the 2-tone white and black seats (who on earth thought that was a good idea!), but they didn't seem nearly as harshly coloured in reality as I had feared.

NEGATIVES

1. I didn't test drive it and so all my opinions about it are limited by merely being able to sit in a pre-production model.

2. I really couldn't test out the screens as I would have liked to - it kept telling me I couldn't do what I wanted to do because the car wasn't "switched on".

3. The boot really is as small as people say. The rear seating area is cavernous, so with the rear seats DOWN the boot space is HUGE - but with the seats up the space is really deceptively small - smaller than you would guess from the outside. I REALLY liked the catches that throw the rear seats down from the boot side - it's not something I've had before and I can see how useful that will be.

4. This car is WIDE - or at least it looks MASSIVELY WIDE from the outside. My daughter said that my Kia Ceed felt the same width when she was sitting in it driving home - but hell yes, did it feel wide when looking from the front. I will be clenching tightly when driving this through narrow gaps!

5. The Frunk of the AWD model is tiny - just space for cables - nothing more.

6. It's not really a negative - more a frustration at not being able to drive the car. The presenter who introduced the car talked about the parking and un-parking that you could do through the key fob - the EV6 will drive itself into and out of tight parking spaces for you - but there was no key fob to look at and no way to see if this actually worked or not (I'm looking at you Mach-E!)

OVERALL

I was disappointed when I test-drove the entry-level Mach-E. I had ordered a top of the range Mach-E and the entry-level one I was given to test drive really felt cheap and plasticky. This wasn't the entry-level EV6 but it was only one step up and it felt PREMIUM - the driver's seat was a VERY nice place to be. It feels like a BIG car from the outside but doesn't feel crazy big when you're in it - just spacious. The boot feels deceptively small just from looking at it - though I haven't loaded it up yet.

I asked about when we could test drive it and when it might be delivered - test drive in September and delivery in October was what I was told.

I asked if it had a built-in tracker in case it got stolen and the dealer didn't think it did - but he'll check and get back to me.

I asked if it had built-in dash-cam like the Tesla and the dealer didn't think it did - but he'll check and get back to me.

That's about it. Here are some photos but you've already seen most of this stuff!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know nothing about this subject so I emailed a highly recommended detailing centre near me about what they would recommend for my Steel Matte Grey EV6. I also asked if there was any benefit to a ceramic coating over the PPF (paint protection film or vinyl wrap). Here is part of their reply;

"The PPF would protect against stone chips, scratches and UV light and the ceramic coating protects against light scratches and Swirl marks( however being a matte finish car you won't have to worry so much about swirl marks).

Yes there is an advantage to having the ceramic coating on top of the PPF because it makes it more water replant and the dirt sticks less. We can also ceramic coat interior parts such as leather, fabrics, and suedes."

·
Registered
72 Posts
So debate ceramic or PPF or both. And do you just have the vulnerable areas covered with PPF?
I know very little about this subject but I can't see how I could get away without doing a full wrap. It might end up looking a bit odd if any uncovered panels end up looking a bit shabby whilst the covered panels gleam like new!

I suspect that I'll also have some ceramic coating put on top of the wrap, just to make it easier to clean.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nice summary Jon,

I have faith that the charging infrastructure in the UK will have no choice but to improve - merely as a result of market forces. As the % of EVs increase in the UK, there will be money to be made from them. Whether these additional chargers come from existing petrol/diesel suppliers looking to maintain their revenue in a shrinking market of ICE vehicles, or whether it comes from new players like Gridserve, I don't mind!

We've all seen just how fast this EV charging technology is changing and I believe that we will see more and more of the super-fast chargers, just because providers can make more money out of them than the slower chargers. I will certainly be happy to pay a premium for them on the odd occasions when I'm doing a long motorway journey - especially as it won't be that often!

The biggest reason why I bailed on my Mach-E order for the Kia, is that the Kia can make use of these super-fast chargers as more and more of them begin to be installed, whilst the Mach-E never will be able to.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just saw a WhatCar review which suggested the opposite.
Here is the What Car range review;

Range test: how far can electric cars go in the real world? | What Car?

It seems to be the same review as the www.thisismoney.co.uk one and they found that the Mach-E had the longest range but was still 20% short of its quoted range.

"Ultimately, though, the car with the biggest battery won the day. The Ford Mustang Mach-E may not be particularly efficient in the way it uses its energy, but it has so much of it, it broke the 300-mile barrier before grinding to a halt at 302 miles. That’s impressive, particularly when you consider its sub-£50k price tag.
On the other hand, the Mach-E fell 20% short of its official range of 379 miles – and don’t forget, our tests were carried out in close to ideal conditions. On a cold, rainy day in January, the potential range of any of these cars would be much lower."

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can I ask the Hive wisdom on this Forum, something that might be a very basic or obvious question? Do the range figures that we get quoted for EVs have any regenerative braking included in them?

If not, then how much extra % of range would you think that 1-pedal driving would add? I would have thought that it could be quite significant if the regen was efficient.

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quite good he drove it quite hard and the stability control seemed very good. Personally I prefer a slightly harder ride but no so hard you feel beaten up. I once had a BMW 3 series and they chucked in the M Sport package as a "bonus" but it nearly killed me on long journeys. After I replaced it with a Passat (these were company cars) and it was SO much better. Sporty is great in terms of response and steering feel but you really don't want to feel every dimple in the road surface.
This car is far too expensive for me to be getting it all twitchy around corners! I will be very happy to put my foot down and feel the instant torque - if this reviewer's reaction to the acceleration was "oh my god", then I'm going to be more than delighted!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi guys - here are some Q & As from my local Kia Dealer;

Q: Is the dash cam feature operational on UK cars?

A: There is no operational dash cam feature on the UK EV6. I don't have an answer to provide as to why I'm afraid. Kia do offer a dash cam but it's the 322GW model not the 622GW. We can only install a Kia approved accessory so this is the only NextBase camera we can install here

Q: Is there a “Sentry Mode” like Teslas have?

A: There is no "Sentry Mode" on any Kia including the EV6

Q: Can you install a tow-bar? Is it retractable or removable?

A: There is a tow limit on the EV6 but no published accessory covering a tow bar as yet. There may be one available in the future but as of this moment there is no tow bar to offer

Q: Any idea of when the test-drive cars will arrive?

A: We are still hoping to take delivery of our GT Line S demo this month but don't have a confirmed date yet

Q: Any idea of delivery dates? I understand that the AWD EV6s will be the last of the pre-orders to arrive. November?

A: Yes we are still anticipating pre order deliveries to take place October/November

Q: How much is the EV6’s service plan and what does it cover?

A: Apologies for the vagueness on some of these points but there is still very limited information in certain areas i.e service plans/accessories etc

·
Registered
72 Posts
So I've just driven the GT Line S RWD for the last hour or so. Just a few comments;

I'm 6ft tall. In the GT Line S with the sunroof, I had to have the seat down to its very lowest setting before my head stopped touching the roof. If you're much taller than 6ft, you ARE going to touch the roof unless you go for the GT Line without the sunroof.

I've ordered the AWD and I am really happy about that as the RWD just isn't especially punchy. I am most definitely NOT a "petrol head" who's used to fast cars - but the acceleration of the RWD was not the "instant torque that pushes you back into the seat" experience that I was perhaps expecting. I'm happy that the AWD will be all it needs to be for me.

Heads-up display is great. Regenerative braking is great. Blind spot cameras on the dash are great. Seats are comfortable.

I've read a lot of reviews that talk about limited visibility out the front because of the large A-pillars - but I thought the visibility was GREAT!

I've also read a lot of reviews that talk about very limited visibility out the back. I've had a Volvo XC40 which had a TINY rear window and so rear visibility was very poor in that car. The EV6 seems vastly better than that Volvo and pretty similar to my current Kia Ceed - I was expecting it to be much worse than it actually is.

The car is silent at low speeds, but road and wind noise is really noticeable as you go faster. Above 50mph, it really wasn't any different from my current ICE car.

I've gone for the dreaded Steel Matte Grey and they had a RWD version in this colour on the forecourt - and it really is a fantastic colour. There's no delivery date information on my GT Line S AWD yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ordered my AWD GT-Line S, Matte Grey with HP on the 6th May 2021 and I've just been told by my dealer that production on my car hasn't even started!!!

Gutted at the delay on my car but love that all you guys are beginning to take delivery of yours and being generous with the feedback. Keep it coming!

1 - 19 of 50 Posts