Kia EV6 Forum banner
3121 - 3140 of 3244 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think it’s more than just that. I think it’s a cost cutting exercise. The world is experiencing an economic downturn and if you can continue to charge the same (or more) while reducing your own costs then the profits continue to roll in.

it’s pretty underhanded but it’s happening everywhere
At least in the UK there's a contract of sale and basic advertising that states you can't just remove items included without either offering compensation or allowing the customer to back out.

It's good the L2 will still be there, but the granny charger is the backup option for the world we live in today where not everyone or every building has an EV charger.

Say I'm on holiday at a place that doesn't have a charger on the property or for miles. I am doing 20-50 miles a day for a week, then I want to be able to top it up for say 10-20kWh overnight. If somehow I actually run out completely then it's far more likely you will find a 13A plug than a Type 2 without a tow. Same If you're visiting granny and need to add say 10kWh to get you back to the nearest fast chargers with some confidence.

This seems like an underhand cost saving exercise to me. Certainly on my last car it was supposed to come with a spare, then they changed the rules. I found that unacceptable and the dealer put a spare and tools etc in, because otherwise I wouldn't buy unless they gave the retail discount of the parts, so I could buy them.

Granny charger was in spec and when the world has type 2 chargers everywhere, such that a house without it is uncommon, then it's different. Where we are now there are type 2 supply/install issues and delays, not enough chargers of any type around the country and a granny is a get out of jail option.

I'm still waiting for my granny cable and I got my car in May.
The response from my salesman today was - 'I will ask the service department', so still don't know when I will receive it.
Does anyone know how much the original Kia ones cost when they were available to buy as an accessory as I think I will be having to get them to pay for a 3rd party one!
Third party ones are about £200-£300 for one with a UK CA mark.
No idea how much the OEM ones were I'm afraid.

·
Registered
33 Posts
yep, that sort-of chimes with what my dealer is hinting (note, not saying), although his more negative twist on the saga suggests a Dec build date not delivery date, so Jan-Feb 23 arrival. That said, more bells & whistles = more delays particularly for RHD markets. Folks in the US seem to be getting theirs after "only" 4-6 months.
I would be surprised if cars ordered last week arrive by January when there are still 2021 orders with no sign of build. Although I have just seen a post where a US dealer has said they have stopped production for the US and are rerouting existing stock. Perhaps they are switching to producing long overdue orders for other markets... probably wishful thinking!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I thought I heard a rumour that the US was getting manufacturing in north America...

Perhaps the EV6 for the US is going to be built in this new factory and as such the other factories will no longer manufacture for the US markets?

1 Posts
Hi All, Long time lurker, first time poster here 🙂. I also spoke with my lease company today after reading about the charger cable supply issues. They confirmed that my car will not come with a 3 pin plug (granny) charger, but did say it will be supplied at a later date when stock issues are resolved. That’s probably not true but you never know🤷‍♂️. Leasing through nationwide vehicle contracts if that’s of any interest. Car was ordered in April, no build date or anything like that yet, the lease co have been very honest and told me they have no idea when to expect the car, I asked Kia uk via their chat function on the website and was told to expect it around q4 this year. Although they did say that was a general forecast and not specific to my car. White GT line RWD no HP.

·
Registered
Powered by diesel (for now).
216 Posts
GT Line RWD with no HP, should come quicker that a GTLS, and then if you add in a HP and AWD, then who knows.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi All, Long time lurker, first time poster here 🙂. I also spoke with my lease company today after reading about the charger cable supply issues. They confirmed that my car will not come with a 3 pin plug (granny) charger, but did say it will be supplied at a later date when stock issues are resolved. That’s probably not true but you never know🤷‍♂️. Leasing through nationwide vehicle contracts if that’s of any interest. Car was ordered in April, no build date or anything like that yet, the lease co have been very honest and told me they have no idea when to expect the car, I asked Kia uk via their chat function on the website and was told to expect it around q4 this year. Although they did say that was a general forecast and not specific to my car. White GT line RWD no HP.
If they confirm it does or that is doesn't but one will appear when in stock or offer a £300 discount or of accessories, then we're good as the car was ordered with one.

GT Line RWD with no HP, should come quicker that a GTLS, and then if you add in a HP and AWD, then who knows.
I've been told GTL-S (Essentially a GTL with all the options ticked) are all being delayed as parts shortages and that the GTL are being built as they have parts to do that. We ordered a GTL AWD with HP and it's arriving 3-6 months than initially suggested (With new delays happening inbetween), so there appears to be some truth in what I was told.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My March ordered GT-Line with HP Runway Red is due September apparently. I haven't asked for VINs/production dates, so we will see at the time if this is correct. Should be getting a dealer update in the next week or so.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My March ordered GT-Line with HP Runway Red is due September apparently. I haven't asked for VINs/production dates, so we will see at the time if this is correct. Should be getting a dealer update in the next week or so.
Late March/Early April order and in Runway Red too. I guess they made a batch... keep your mits off mine :p

·
Registered
Pearl white, ordered March 2022, expected Jan 2023 (probably later)
33 Posts
Huh, interesting. I ordered late march too (28/03), and have had absolutely ZERO feedback from Bolton Kia (yes, the one garage Kia actually own and not a franchise). So you'd think, that the one that Kia owns would have better contact than the franchises, but seems not the case!

·
Registered