Kia EV6 Forum banner
341 - 360 of 421 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Interesting one of the videos suggest there is no Apple Car Play or Android Auto... that must be incorrect as many legacy ICE Kia's feature it... I guess that's probably a pre-production issue... I hope so as I'm addicted to Waze!! :-o
One I suspect being a prototype is one issue. Wireless connection for Apple CarPlay is possibly arriving sometime in 2022
2022 Kia EV6 Infotainment and Connectivity Features - Friendly Kia

Not sure about wireless Android Auto, but a number of sites quote Apple CarPlay and AA as standard.

·
Registered
151 Posts
A written review from WhatCar: Kia EV6 Review 2021

I would go as far as to say it is quite negative, especially on road noise above 40mph - but then it is not a German car which as we know are never found to have any faults by WhatCar...
If you watch the PoV videos of people driving on various surfaces this is a quiet car, especially if compared to any ICE vehicle. Either that or they have 80db indicator sounds!!! 🤣 :):rolleyes:

·
Registered
60 Posts

This may be the best write-up yet.
From the article:

Yet here’s the real kicker. This Kia’s two main rivals are from Tesla and BMW, which to us says volumes about how the journey to electric is changing brand perceptions faster than ever before.
'Tis true.

·
Registered
151 Posts
From the article:
'Tis true.
It's a really interesting point. Personally, I really dislike what Tesla have done with the pumped up 3=y and BMW does nothing for me either although to be fair I've no seen one yet. I had ordered and waited 18 months for the Mach-e but when I saw it in the flesh I didn't like it and I liked how it drove even less. Brakes were awful. I loved the iPace but it's £15k too expensive and dated tech. The infotainment system was just poor and the rapid charing, well not very rapid.

For me the 800v charging is the only way forward. I loved the way the iPace drives even to the point of putting up with long stops but the range isn't quite there and the tech is just too dated. I considered used. Mercedes was a possible but very poor range and not a bottom up EV.

So looking at brands, yes Kia are winning for me against BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar and well Ford are the only mainstream OEM to up their game and build a bottom up EV. Trouble with Ford is their poor service culture.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have you looked into the ID. 4? It looks nice and is roomy. For me, it just lacked a bit of oomph, need a bit more power but was sufficient for the normal drive. They should be putting out an AWD version with a bit more kick. I thought on your side you have more options for EV. Skids Enyaq and Audi Q4 e tron, comes to mind.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #349 ·
Does anyone know if the EV6 can be put into neutral so that it can be towed safely should a problem develop? Or does it need a flat-bed?

·
Registered
74 Posts
It can be put in neutral however, I believe a flatbed tow is what they would recommended. This is what is recommended on my e tron.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does anyone know if the EV6 can be put into neutral so that it can be towed safely should a problem develop? Or does it need a flat-bed?
Yes. In the thread with the English manual, it does say it can be put into neutral if you need to push it but the manual suggests a flatbed for towing

·
Registered
151 Posts
Have you looked into the ID. 4? It looks nice and is roomy. For me, it just lacked a bit of oomph, need a bit more power but was sufficient for the normal drive. They should be putting out an AWD version with a bit more kick. I thought on your side you have more options for EV. Skids Enyaq and Audi Q4 e tron, comes to mind.
Yes I looked at all of these. The charging is a bit of a disappointment and the infotainment system awful unless you go Audi who used their own (says a lot I thought). Great space but really need the GTX and then it's not a cheap option at all.

Yes, but the AA have a trolly all vans will carry. They jack up the front and then add the trolly to the back which lifts the read wheels above the road. Invented by the AA but now sold to others... clever stuff!

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
47 Posts
The EV6 is rear biased. The AWD is a part time system so you should be able to put the vehicle in N. It would then be towable front wheels down. There may also be an AWD fuse under the hood that disables the front drive train like in the Stinger which would ensure the same.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Form the manual... I don't think any UK breakdown companies will be risking this...

Towing in this manner may be done only on hard-surfaced roads for a short distance and at low speed. Also, the wheels, axles, power train, steering and brakes must all be in good condition.
  • Do not use the tow hooks to pull a vehicle out of mud, sand or other conditions from which the vehicle cannot be driven out under its own power.
  • Avoid towing a vehicle heavier than the vehicle doing the towing.
  • The drivers of both vehicles should communicate with each other frequently.
  • Before emergency towing, check if the hook is not broken or damaged.
  • Fasten the towing cable or chain securely to the hook.
  • Do not jerk the hook. Apply it steadily and with even force.
  • To avoid damaging the hook, do not pull from the side or at a vertical angle. Always pull straight ahead.
  • Press the EV button to the ACC position so the steering wheel is not locked.
  • Shift the gear to N (Neutral).
  • Release the parking bake.
  • To avoid serious damage to the gear, limit the vehicle speed to 15 km/h (10 mph) and drive less than 1.5 km (1 mile) when towing.
  • Press the brake pedal with more force than normal since you will have reduced brake performance.
  • More steering effort will be required because the power steering system will be disabled.
  • If you are driving down a long hill, the brakes may overheat and brake performance will be reduced. Stop often and let the brakes cool off.
Towing service
Operation
  • Tow the vehicle with a flatbed equipment with all wheels off the ground.

Notice
If emergency towing is necessary, we recommend having it done by an authorized Kia dealer or a commercial tow-truck service.

Caution
  • Do not tow the vehicle forwards with the rear wheels on the ground as this may cause damage to the vehicle.
  • Do not tow with sling-type equipment. Use wheel lift or flatbed equipment.
  • The 4WD vehicle should never be towed with the wheels on the ground. This can cause serious damage to the vehicle or the 4WD system.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #356 ·
Form the manual... I don't think any UK breakdown companies will be risking this...

Towing in this manner may be done only on hard-surfaced roads for a short distance and at low speed. Also, the wheels, axles, power train, steering and brakes must all be in good condition.
  • Do not use the tow hooks to pull a vehicle out of mud, sand or other conditions from which the vehicle cannot be driven out under its own power.
  • Avoid towing a vehicle heavier than the vehicle doing the towing.
  • The drivers of both vehicles should communicate with each other frequently.
  • Before emergency towing, check if the hook is not broken or damaged.
  • Fasten the towing cable or chain securely to the hook.
  • Do not jerk the hook. Apply it steadily and with even force.
  • To avoid damaging the hook, do not pull from the side or at a vertical angle. Always pull straight ahead.
  • Press the EV button to the ACC position so the steering wheel is not locked.
  • Shift the gear to N (Neutral).
  • Release the parking bake.
  • To avoid serious damage to the gear, limit the vehicle speed to 15 km/h (10 mph) and drive less than 1.5 km (1 mile) when towing.
  • Press the brake pedal with more force than normal since you will have reduced brake performance.
  • More steering effort will be required because the power steering system will be disabled.
  • If you are driving down a long hill, the brakes may overheat and brake performance will be reduced. Stop often and let the brakes cool off.
Towing service
Operation
  • Tow the vehicle with a flatbed equipment with all wheels off the ground.

Notice
If emergency towing is necessary, we recommend having it done by an authorized Kia dealer or a commercial tow-truck service.

Caution
  • Do not tow the vehicle forwards with the rear wheels on the ground as this may cause damage to the vehicle.
  • Do not tow with sling-type equipment. Use wheel lift or flatbed equipment.
  • The 4WD vehicle should never be towed with the wheels on the ground. This can cause serious damage to the vehicle or the 4WD system.
In short, do not tow under any circumstances. Interesting recovery options: AA have a trolley to lift all 4 wheels, the RAC have around 200 vans able to charge a depleted battery sufficiently to get you to the nearest charger.

·
Registered
151 Posts
In short, do not tow under any circumstances. Interesting recovery options: AA have a trolley to lift all 4 wheels, the RAC have around 200 vans able to charge a depleted battery sufficiently to get you to the nearest charger.
it's really worth listening to the Fully Charged Plus Podcast interview with the CEO of the AA. Less EV's run out of power than ICE cars run out of fuel, but over all breakdowns are about the same.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #358 ·
it's really worth listening to the Fully Charged Plus Podcast interview with the CEO of the AA. Less EV's run out of power than ICE cars run out of fuel, but over all breakdowns are about the same.

Interesting to hear that ICEs and EVs share the same most frequent problems - 12v battery and tyres. The third most frequent on EVs is failure to charge, at home and at public chargers. I wonder what that is all about?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Interesting to hear that ICEs and EVs share the same most frequent problems - 12v battery and tyres. The third most frequent on EVs is failure to charge, at home and at public chargers. I wonder what that is all about?
I assumed faults with Chargers.... I think I'd call an electrician if I was at home or plug in a granny plug.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #360 ·
I assumed faults with Chargers.... I think I'd call an electrician if I was at home or plug in a granny plug.
I suspect one of the problems is diagnosing where the fault lies: payment method, charger, EV settings, cable, or user. I would like to see the AA's breakdown of what the issue turned out to be.

341 - 360 of 421 Posts