Kia EV6 Forum banner
381 - 400 of 420 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just had a call from my dealer as well. GT line-S RWD on order.
Has had a update from Kia. Expected delivery sometime October but no exact date. They have dates for the Air and hope for more exact times on the GT Line-S rwd in a few days.
Also said rear wheel drive were being built first.
Wow! They know more than my dealer!! Wessex in S. Wales.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Test drives they are expecting to be towards the end of October. As for the disappointment, I understand that but for those of us coming from the mach-e experience, a delay of 6 weeks to 2 months is not so bad.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
47 Posts
Test drives they are expecting to be towards the end of October. As for the disappointment, I understand that but for those of us coming from the mach-e experience, a delay of 6 weeks to 2 months is not so bad.
We don't even get a test drive here in the US! LOL

We just get to place an order and wait 6 months for arrival...

·
Registered
104 Posts

Here we also had to order well in advance with the idea that once we got a test drive we could cancel without penalty if we did not like it. Several of us on here did that with the Mach-e. Seems to be the new way of buying a car!!

·
Registered
74 Posts

Yes, you do.. You have to test drive it once it comes to the dealer, if you don’t like it, you can walk away and get your deposit back. That is standard for all first editions from multiple OEMs. There were a few VW ID.4 available as the folks that came in and drove it didn’t like it and walked away from it. It’s not a bad car but I want some more pep from it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am one of the ex Mach-e reservation holders. For me it was a few minor things that added up to a big decision. Limited seat adjustment, lack of premium feel to the cabin, almost every feature only accessible via the touchscreen, the overly sharp brakes, but mostly the complete lack of any interest from my dealer. Numerous e-mails and no response, and when I finally went for the test drive my salesman could not even be bothered to come and chat to me, even though he was in the same building. Great looking car with a real presence on the road, but glad I have opted for the Kia as it offers a far more compelling package for less money than I was paying for the Mach-e. Just wish the Kia had the panoramic roof of the Mach-e which is a thing of beauty.
I agree with all the other's comments, interior and brakes especially. Ford as a business had seriously upset me which didn't help. I waited 18 months and just got messed around.... too long to list here. I am pretty ambivalent to the Mustang name too.

The big screen did nothing for me and I really don't like them in Tesla either. I very much prefer the twin curved screens on the EV6. Aside from those soft issues I made a spread sheet of all the pros and cons and weighted and score them. Even being hard on the Kia it came out well on top. Then I prefer the look. The EV6 back end bothered me at first but now I quite like it.

The really big thing for me is the charge curve. The Mach-e drops below 80 very early and down lower still thereafter so it would have meant nearly hour stops. With Gridserve, Ionity and a few others it would be 30 mins in the EV6. When I drive to Scotland that could be a hour and a half which makes a massive difference if you are getting up at 4am.
Even if i have not tried the EV6 i can already agree with you both. I went to the Ford dealer but the car was already out so could not drive it. They had one that i could sit in and feel the quality and screen and stuff.
I agree the screen is a letdown. There is nothing in there to do. With such a huge screen you expect something extra like apps.
And considering the cost Mach-E cost more then EV6 fully packed. Like 10k USD more (in Sweden). I cant justify that either.
It felt ok with the quality but some nobs and stuff were a bit so so. And i dont get the thing on the screen to be honest.

And i did not think it was as spacious as the Ioniq5 which should be same as EV6.
For me personally i dont like the panorama so i'm fine with the sunroof :).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Video with charging curves for pre-production EV6:
I'm really pleased with the charge curve. I am guessing but I think the short dip where it goes almost to Zero if where it switches from the 800v to 400v charging system. To me it makes sense that it will need to "down shift" as the advantage stops when the battery becomes full and the systems switches over for the last part. Even the 80%+ charge looks good.There probably is some termal management stuff going on but the average over the probably charge range is epic.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
I'm really pleased with the charge curve. I am guessing but I think the short dip where it goes almost to Zero if where it switches from the 800v to 400v charging system. To me it makes sense that it will need to "down shift" as the advantage stops when the battery becomes full and the systems switches over for the last part. Even the 80%+ charge looks good.There probably is some termal management stuff going on but the average over the probably charge range is epic.
I must say I did not fully understand the significance of the data (other than the time taken to various milestones). I remember this seemed to matter to you vis the Mach-e so would be grateful if when you have a moment you could please explain it to me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I must say I did not fully understand the significance of the data (other than the time taken to various milestones). I remember this seemed to matter to you vis the Mach-e so would be grateful if when you have a moment you could please explain it to me.
Sure, ok, so I'll take three examples, the iPace, Mach-e and the EV6. Firstly, you need to understand that all the OEM's quote the MAXIMUM charge speed. iPace 100Kw, Mach-e 125Kw and the EV6 220Kw. The problem is that this is meaningless if the car is only capable of taking that high current for a short period of time in the charge curve. All cars have to slow the charge current as the batteries get to a higher state of charge, it's just the chemistry/physics of the battery. It's unavoidable although most OEM's "hide" space at the top and the bottom of their batteries, but that's another topic.

The iPace will charge in some circumstances at 106Kw if the battery state of charge is low and the temperature is optimal. However, it's average is much lower, off the top of my head more like 50Kw over the curve. It holds that high rate for a short period of time. This means you need to wait longer to charge.

The Mach-e is better but slows the charge quite early in the curve. You would do well to get an average of 70-80kw. Ford have played it very safe but might update with OTTU.

What this guy has shown is the 800v 220Kw super high charge rates is achievable over a wider part of the curve on the EV5. Think of voltage like pressure and current like quantity. Pipe analogies work quite well with electronics. Kia have used clever tech to deliver a "best in class" high charge rate across the whole curve. What does this mean? It means providing you can find a charger which will deliver these high rates you will spend less time waiting for your car to charge.

90% of my driving is local so I will be charging at home but twice a month I do a long trip. Typically I will stop every two hours to have a coffee and a comfort break. I have measured these stops and they are typically between 30 and 45 minutes. For me, this means provided I can find a working charger I will spend less time. I don't want to be forced into one and a half hour stops, in fact I don't want to have to think about it.

So for me the Mach-e has the range but not so good efficiency and a must stop for 45mins to and hour whereas the EV6 is right in the sweet spot. Sure it's only 30 mins more per stop but I can't tell you how many times i have appointments which is tight and I really don't want the additional stress. I'll put up with less range as my comfort is already the limit but I don't want to be sitting around, late for a client seeing the charge rate down to 20Kw. The EV6 is 60+ even at the top end and averaging 170Kw+ at a rough guess. That's only beaten by the Audi/Porsche and even beats modern Tesla v3 charging... although it's close.

If all you driving is local all three will be great.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
Sure, ok, so I'll take three examples, the iPace, Mach-e and the EV6. Firstly, you need to understand that all the OEM's quote the MAXIMUM charge speed. iPace 100Kw, Mach-e 125Kw and the EV6 220Kw. The problem is that this is meaningless if the car is only capable of taking that high current for a short period of time in the charge curve. All cars have to slow the charge current as the batteries get to a higher state of charge, it's just the chemistry/physics of the battery. It's unavoidable although most OEM's "hide" space at the top and the bottom of their batteries, but that's another topic.

The iPace will charge in some circumstances at 106Kw if the battery state of charge is low and the temperature is optimal. However, it's average is much lower, off the top of my head more like 50Kw over the curve. It holds that high rate for a short period of time. This means you need to wait longer to charge.

The Mach-e is better but slows the charge quite early in the curve. You would do well to get an average of 70-80kw. Ford have played it very safe but might update with OTTU.

What this guy has shown is the 800v 220Kw super high charge rates is achievable over a wider part of the curve on the EV5. Think of voltage like pressure and current like quantity. Pipe analogies work quite well with electronics. Kia have used clever tech to deliver a "best in class" high charge rate across the whole curve. What does this mean? It means providing you can find a charger which will deliver these high rates you will spend less time waiting for your car to charge.

90% of my driving is local so I will be charging at home but twice a month I do a long trip. Typically I will stop every two hours to have a coffee and a comfort break. I have measured these stops and they are typically between 30 and 45 minutes. For me, this means provided I can find a working charger I will spend less time. I don't want to be forced into one and a half hour stops, in fact I don't want to have to think about it.

So for me the Mach-e has the range but not so good efficiency and a must stop for 45mins to and hour whereas the EV6 is right in the sweet spot. Sure it's only 30 mins more per stop but I can't tell you how many times i have appointments which is tight and I really don't want the additional stress. I'll put up with less range as my comfort is already the limit but I don't want to be sitting around, late for a client seeing the charge rate down to 20Kw. The EV6 is 60+ even at the top end and averaging 170Kw+ at a rough guess. That's only beaten by the Audi/Porsche and even beats modern Tesla v3 charging... although it's close.

If all you driving is local all three will be great.
Thank you, I get it now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Posted on a seperate thread but just for the UK guys... 7.5Km per Kw is 4.66miles which would be amazing efficiency if it can be sustained.

They drove 330 miles in a RWD model and over the whole journey they averaged 7.3km per kwh which is 4.54 miles. With an iPace not quite reaching 3 that is pretty damn impressive.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Quick question. I was asking my dealer about the accessories brochure and he informed me that I could request it at the end of doing an online build (seems like a long way around getting the brochure, but hey ho). Anyway I did this, but needless to say there were no accessories, it was just the brochure for the EV6. So I checked on the Kia website and there are 9 accessories shown as available for the EV6. For the e-Niro there are 52. Robert did link a list of accessories for Holland which was much more comprehensive. Has anyone received any more detailed information from their dealer? If we are to believe what we are told, the cars are due in 9 to 12 weeks time (AWD) and possible sooner for the RWD , so it would be great if we could start ordering accessories, and get an idea of cost.

381 - 400 of 420 Posts