Kia EV6 Forum banner
881 - 900 of 974 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you are worried about residuals take a close look at ICE cars over that same period. EV6 has an advantage in that it already has high voltage charging which will become the norm I'm sure. Voltage is the potential difference in charge terms and can be considered like the pressure of water in a pipe. If you can't make the pipe bigger you can increase the voltage so it's a great was of cramming more electrons in to the car quickly. I think the EV6 with a seven year warranty will hold its value very well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That doesn't align with the info I've always seen on lithium batteries. Reducing depth of discharge is one of the ways to increase battery life (e.g. charging to only 60% and discharging to only 40% if you only need 20% of your capacity, rather than charging it all the way up then waiting until it's completely discharged before recharging). Hi heat, high voltage (charge level), and high charge rates have all also been shown to accelerate aging.
I stated:
but driving five miles when your battery is 100% to then charge the battery immediately will absolutely wreck it in the long term.
What I'm saying is that keeping the battery in such a high state of charge is bad for it. I did word it poorly, granted.

Also, a Lithium Battery suitable for a phone is not the same as one suitable for a car. There are many different chemistries that are labelled as "Lithium Ion".

The actual act of DC fast charging does not harm the battery, it's the temperatures resulting from fast charging which is why older models with passive cooling (Nissan Leaf) saw double the battery degradation of a Liquid Cooled car like the Model S. Modern cars have proper cooling systems in place so DCFC does not ruin the battery; HOWEVER, if you're leaving the car overnight, then don't DC Fast Charge; use level 2 (7kW) instead and unless you're doing a long distance trip, stop at 80% charge. Likewise, if you live somewhere with high ambient temperatures, limit use of fast charging because the cooling system will be less effective.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I stated:

What I'm saying is that keeping the battery in such a high state of charge is bad for it. I did word it poorly, granted.

Also, a Lithium Battery suitable for a phone is not the same as one suitable for a car. There are many different chemistries that are labelled as "Lithium Ion".

The actual act of DC fast charging does not harm the battery, it's the temperatures resulting from fast charging which is why older models with passive cooling (Nissan Leaf) saw double the battery degradation of a Liquid Cooled car like the Model S. Modern cars have proper cooling systems in place so DCFC does not ruin the battery; HOWEVER, if you're leaving the car overnight, then don't DC Fast Charge; use level 2 (7kW) instead and unless you're doing a long distance trip, stop at 80% charge. Likewise, if you live somewhere with high ambient temperatures, limit use of fast charging because the cooling system will be less effective.
Can anyone advise if you can pre program charging to 80% and the like via the app? I'm waiting for delivery next month and have a non-smart 7kw home charger so would need to do this via an app..

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
326 Posts
Can anyone advise if you can pre program charging to 80% and the like via the app? I'm waiting for delivery next month and have a non-smart 7kw home charger so would need to do this via an app..
Hi @J1m, happy Tuesday and welcome to the forum!

So, I'm not sure that the app can but I know for a fact that the setting can be done in the car infotainment screen.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I stated:
but driving five miles when your battery is 100% to then charge the battery immediately will absolutely wreck it in the long term.
What I'm saying is that keeping the battery in such a high state of charge is bad for it.
Right, I agree with that completely. (y) The part that I questioned is:
make sure you only charge your car when the battery is empty, say 10 to 20%. Using rapid chargers or charging in hot/cold weather doesn't affect battery health to a meaningful degree
Waiting until you're down to 10-20% isn't the best practice, based on the studies that I've seen. If you're goal is to maximize battery life, you want to minimize the depth of discharge, which means charging frequently, but short. Ideally you want to avoid the upper and lower extremes, avoiding going up to 100% or down to 10% except when you really need the range. When you don't need the range, small charge/discharge cycles around the middle of the range are less stressful.

As far as rapid chargers, even when the temperature is controlled, all things being equal (same temps), higher charge/discharge rates are more stressful on the battery than lower rates, as demonstrated by the below image taken from the "charging rate" section of this page.

Even the EV6 manual states:
Battery performance and durability can deteriorate if the DC charger is used constantly.
Use of DC charge should be minimized in order to help prolong high voltage battery life.
As far as temps go, it can absolutely be harmful to charge lithium batteries at below freezing temps, though the car's charging logic should protect you, keeping charging rate low until the battery warms up. But even with liquid cooling, high speed charging can heat the batteries up quite a bit, I believe I've seen some logging that shows some cells in either the Ioniq 5 or EV6 exceeding 45c during fast charging. In the below test, the batteries got hot enough to cause reduced power until the batteries cooled.

EV systems have come a long way, and high speed charging is absolutely necessary to make them competitive with ICE vehicles. But that doesn't mean it doesn't come w/o trade-offs. Personally, I wouldn't be afraid to use it occasionally when I need it, but I will also be minimizing charge speed and depth of charge/discharge when I don't need the speed and/or range.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You can set this from the App and it's actually one of the functions which works too!! You have to set the levels and then "send" the new settings to the car. You get an acknowledgement back that the settings have been changed. You can set a percentage maximum charge for normal charging and for rapid charging so have two parameters.

·
Registered
336 Posts
In case any UK drivers are doing the Nav update please see this post re km and Miles

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #889 ·
In case any UK drivers are doing the Nav update please see this post re km and Miles

For some reason this did not happen to me. All the readings remained in miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can set this from the App and it's actually one of the functions which works too!! You have to set the levels and then "send" the new settings to the car. You get an acknowledgement back that the settings have been changed. You can set a percentage maximum charge for normal charging and for rapid charging so have two parameters.
I am very much new to all this only ordered mine mine 2 days ago for march delivery , could you kindly tell me the app name please .
Regards Mark

·
Registered
184 Posts
Today was yet another frustrating day with the heating. Charged ok, but no pre-heating. Cranked up the heating from setting off, set to 22 Deg C, and even after two hours I doubt it got above 16 Deg C. Even then, like Gordon has mentioned, my feet were freezing. Seems to me like there are some fundamental issues that need to be resolved. I can live with such things if I know that full attention is being given to resolving them but there appears to be a wall of silence. I previously wrote to Paul Philpott about other matters, and now I intend to write to him about the heating issues. I would suggest as many of us as possible do this because then maybe they will take it seriously. His e-mail address is [email protected]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Today was yet another frustrating day with the heating. Charged ok, but no pre-heating. Cranked up the heating from setting off, set to 22 Deg C, and even after two hours I doubt it got above 16 Deg C.
Which drive mode were you in? We have this problem using Eco but changing to Normal the cabin heating is ok. Not acceptable long term but ok until we get a fix.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was in Normal. On the first day the Heat button worked a treat, so it is somewhat strange that in the 5 days since it has not. I wonder if I have done something inadvertently, so shall spend the weekend trying different configurations.

In the meantime an e-email has gone to Paul Philpott. Let's see how seriously he takes customers' concerns.

881 - 900 of 974 Posts