Kia EV6 Forum banner
141 - 160 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Agreed Jon. I am hoping that getting a ceramic treatment will not invalidate the additional cover.

Once I have a response I will upload details.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Here's the relevant parts from the Kia Warranty

Paint

The paint is covered for 60 months or 100,000 miles from the date of first registration, whichever comes first. You’ll find specific exclusions to this below.

What’s not covered?
Damage due to factors beyond the manufacturer's control
Examples of this could include:

Misuse of the car such as driving over kerbs, overloading, racing, etc. You’ll find proper usage described in the owner’s manual
Events such as collision, fire, theft, riot, etc
Cars categorised as 'total loss' or 'insurance write off'
Alteration, modification, tampering, etc
Damage or surface corrosion from the environment such as acid rain, airborne fallout (chemicals, bird lime, tree sap, etc), salt, road hazards, hail, wind, storm, lightning, floods and other acts of God
Cosmetic conditions or surface corrosion from stone chips or scratches in the paint

Normal deterioration

Normal wear, tear or deterioration such as discolouration, fading or deformation
Surface corrosion on any part other than the sheet metal panels on the exterior body
Gradual wearing of mechanical components in proportion to mileage
The adjustment of doors, bonnets and tailgates is covered up to the first scheduled maintenance service.

Anti-perforation limited warranty

Kia warrants that the body sheet metal parts* of a new Kia car are free of defects in material or workmanship that lead to perforation (holes through the body panel from the inside out) as a result of corrosion – we’ve set out the exceptions to this below.
An authorised Kia dealer will either repair or replace – at no cost – any sheet metal panel* that has perforated due to corrosion resulting from defects in material or workmanship.
*Roof panel, doors, bonnet, tailgate, boot lid, sills, pillars, front wings, rear quarter panels and rear panel.

What's not covered?

Any perforation due to corrosion which is caused by industrial fallout, accident, damage, abuse, vehicle modifications or carrying damaging or corrosive cargo
Any perforation due to corrosion caused not by a defect in materials or workmanship, but by not maintaining a Kia car as set out in the owner's manual
Any perforation due to corrosion of a part of a Kia car other than a sheet metal panel of the exterior body. This specifically excludes any part of the exhaust system
Any perforation due to defects or failure resulting from the use of new parts not sold or approved by Kia, or used parts, or damage to associated systems that's caused as a result of this
Any perforation due to corrosion that's caused by misuse, abuse or improper maintenance such as a missed annual anti-perforation inspection
Any corrosion of the Kia car that doesn't result in perforation

Customer responsibilities

Customers should regularly look closely at the sheet metal panels on the exterior body. If any stone chips or scratches in the paint or protective coating are found, they should be touched up straight away.
In certain conditions. special care should be taken to protect your Kia from corrosion.
If driven on salted roads, or near the sea, flush the underbody with clean water at least once a month
It's important to keep the drain holes in the lower edges of the body clear
If damaged in any way that may affect the paint, have it repaired as soon as possible
If carrying special cargo such as chemicals, fertilisers, de-icing salt or other corrosive substances, make sure that they're well packaged and sealed
If often driven on gravel roads, we recommend installing mud flaps behind each wheel
After each regular check, make sure the correct anti-perforation record in the manual have been stamped by the Kia dealer or authorised repairer

What's not covered?

Damage or corrosion due to factors such as accidents, negligence, improper repairs or adjustments, misuse, alterations or collision
Damage or surface corrosion from the environment such as acid rain, airborne fallout (chemicals, tree sap etc.) salt, road hazards, hail, wind storm, lightening, floods and other acts of God
Normal wear, tear and deterioration such as discolouration, fading or deformation
Parts installed on a Kia car in which the odometer has been altered or on which the mileage can't be readily determined
Parts used for purposes they were not designed for
Parts not properly installed by someone other than Kia or an authorised Kia dealer
Parts without proof of purchase or replacement date
Parts that an authorised Kia dealer isn't allowed to sell or install on a Kia car
"Alteration, modification, tampering, etc " would seem to cover the issue of protecting the paint, if they wanted to enforce it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quite, but hoping to avoid finding out. I have asked all these questions, so just waiting for my dealer to get back to me and confirm. I like the idea of the scratch repair policy, but also the ceramic coating which really enhances the colour!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quite, but hoping to avoid finding out. I have asked all these questions, so just waiting for my dealer to get back to me and confirm. I like the idea of the scratch repair policy, but also the ceramic coating which really enhances the colour!
I think if the product you used on the paint did the damage and you had used it correctly or had used a professional who has Professional Indemnity Insurance your case would be with them.

If you had to claim on the Body Perforation Warranty, which almost never happens these days due to better protection technologies (maybe in 1970) there will be uproar in the market. Then if Kia claimed that by adding a protective layer to the paint caused it to perforate we would be bordering on the rediculours.

What is interesting is if Kia actually come back and confirm what you can and can't or even what you should and should not do.

It's probably that a ceramic coating would change the look of the paint somewhat and you should do a test under the bonnet or somewhere first. Here's some INFORMATION you might be interested in.

·
Registered
78 Posts
this might be of interest too.... I have heard from a few places that you need more of the product on matte surfaces..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know nothing about this subject so I emailed a highly recommended detailing centre near me about what they would recommend for my Steel Matte Grey EV6. I also asked if there was any benefit to a ceramic coating over the PPF (paint protection film or vinyl wrap). Here is part of their reply;

"The PPF would protect against stone chips, scratches and UV light and the ceramic coating protects against light scratches and Swirl marks( however being a matte finish car you won't have to worry so much about swirl marks).

Yes there is an advantage to having the ceramic coating on top of the PPF because it makes it more water replant and the dirt sticks less. We can also ceramic coat interior parts such as leather, fabrics, and suedes."

·
Registered
28 Posts
My wife thinks I am ceramic coated, insults just seem to slide off me!!!!

I seriously doubt that Kia would be kicking up a fuss. I think that provided which comp you went to, as Jon pointed out, indemnity insurance then it isn’t a proble. There has been plenty of debate on the PS 2 UK forum surrounding the benefits for and against ceramic coating and PPF or in doing both. Not one suggestion that Polestar would have problem with this. In fact Polestar offer the service in the USA.

So debate ceramic or PPF or both. And do you just have the vulnerable areas covered with PPF?

·
Registered
16 Posts
So debate ceramic or PPF or both. And do you just have the vulnerable areas covered with PPF?
I know very little about this subject but I can't see how I could get away without doing a full wrap. It might end up looking a bit odd if any uncovered panels end up looking a bit shabby whilst the covered panels gleam like new!

I suspect that I'll also have some ceramic coating put on top of the wrap, just to make it easier to clean.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It’s a difficult one, more due to cost than anything els. Our Lexus has PPF, total cover. That was over £2000 including paint correction. So I think your looking at £3,000 to include ceramic. It’ll be interesting to see what retailers will quote. I am happy to just have clear PPF and then wax every 6 months or so.
I do totally get doing both especially with the matte, brave man you (y) :). I am also planning on getting the piano black PPF coated as well, probably in a lighter colour to lighten the cabin. Wife is insisting as her OCD won’t cope to well:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's one of those "where do you stop" issues. For £3k you can have the whole car wrapped and still have change to peel it off when you sell it. So it worries me people are "selling". But then again, I've never had paint protective film. Much of this is due to paint becoming softer as it is water based and in some cases statically charged to stick to the car. I had a Nissan GTR and the paint was so soft you could scratch it with your nails.

I think I will stick with the ceramic coating. I might think of protecting the front as there is a lot of paint and little grill.

To change the subject and just for a bit of fun... I picked up the plate EV6 1 CAR today... they had EV6 JON but it was a little too ponsey. EV6 1 BEV was still available for I think £400. EV61 KIA had gone :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was given the number plate E80LA as a wedding present - I’m a doctor so it wasn’t completely random.

But I had to take it off when the virus kicked off in Africa a few years ago!

I think that is the end of personalised number plates for me!
haha that's a great plate. A tad unfortunate with the outbreak. They are a waste of time really except when it comes to remembering your licence plate. I took my previous private plate off and could never remember it. Mine was a very cheap plate but a bit of fun.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for all the thoughts on paint protection. I think for me Ceramic is the way to go, once Kia confirm it will not invalidate the paint warranty. PPF is the ultimate but if I can get a policy from Kia that covers all scratches and chips, then might be overkill.

As for E80LA - that is just brilliant!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Coupled with the 800V architecture, more than happy. Finally the charging network is getting up to speed so some long-distance trips with short stops are now becoming a reality. Thank God Ecotricity have been taken over. Gridserve seem to have the right focus and the backing to ensure there is an adequate supply of 350kW chargers throughout the motorway network.

With my i3 every service would introduce a software update that improved efficiency and range, such that after 5 years and 85,000 miles the range is still the same (the battery degradation has been offset by the improved battery management software).

By the way have you been reading the test drive reports on the Ioniq 5? Hugely positive, which hopefully is a good sign for the EV6 given they share a lot of underpinnings.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yep! I agree with all of that. The driving dynamics will be slightly different but very close. I think all the driving reviews have been positive. 800v 350kw will be the norm soon for rapid charging. I was assuming 270 range for AWD so I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Now it's "official" from the UK press office

Kia has raised the standards of range performance with the combination of E-GMP architecture, power electronics and design that give EV6 one of the best all-electric ranges on the market.

The EV6 comes with a choice of fully electric, zero-emission powertrain configurations, including a standard-range (58kWh) and long-range (77.4kWh) high voltage battery pack (all UK models offer the 77.4kWh battery pack as standard). Homologated WLTP values confirm that the rear wheel drive 77.4kWh EV6 can travel up to 528 kilometers on the combined cycle (combined electric energy consumption 16.5 kWh/100km). That’s similar to the distance from Geneva to Paris on a single charge. Less frequent charging removes one of the most significant barriers to EV ownership.

The all-wheel drive EV6 can also deliver a strong range performance; 506km on the combined WLTP cycle. All-wheel drive combined electric energy consumption is as low as 17.2 kWh/100km.
Also of note for UK owners

The EV6 will indicate when its charge is low and using dynamic POI’s and real time availability status, the driver will be guided to the nearest charging station using the on-board navigation system. Kia’s relationship with part-owned IONITY offers EV6 customers access to reduced kWh prices at over 400 high power charging stations across 24 European countries via the Kia Charge solution. The IONITY network uses the leading European charging standard CCS (Combined Charging System) and is sourced by 100 per cent renewable energy meaning EV6 drivers can travel emission-free and carbon neutral.

The Kia Charge solution (provided by Digital Charging Solutions) gives EV6 owners additional access, and POI guidance, to around 205,000 charge points across Europe, including AC and DC connectors. The Kia Charge app provides a link between the Charge Point Operators and Kia, as the Mobility Service Provider that manages subscriptions and payments for three levels of membership subscription depending on usage levels.

Kia Charge provides access to more than 17,000 charging connectors in the UK, with additional bolt-on tariffs available for the IONITY and bp pulse charging networks.

141 - 160 of 175 Posts