Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just had a Wallbox Pulsar plus charger installed for my EV6 that's due to arrive in a week or so. It looks like I can use the Wallbox app to schedule charging and adjust the amps, but I didn't see anywhere in the app that I could tell it to charge the vehicle to 80% instead of 100%, which seems to be what is recommended on these forums to save battery life. Does that mean I will use some kind of Kia app AND the charger's app as well? I was hoping to do this with one app. For people who have gotten their cars already - how are you managing the charging? Thanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey, I just had a Wallbox Pulsar plus charger installed for my EV6 that's due to arrive in a week or so. It looks like I can use the Wallbox app to schedule charging and adjust the amps, but I didn't see anywhere in the app that I could tell it to charge the vehicle to 80% instead of 100%, which seems to be what is recommended on these forums to save battery life. Does that mean I will use some kind of Kia app AND the charger's app as well? I was hoping to do this with one app. For people who have gotten their cars already - how are you managing the charging? Thanks.
Apparently you can set the max charge in EV Settings in the car. It looks like you can have different settings for AC & DC.

I thought that charging to 100% via AC is not such a bad thing if you are going to use the car, but not so good if you are going to leave if for a few days/weeks.

DC charging is meant to be up to 80%, but that may be more applicable to older EV tech and charging speeds. Seeing as the EV6 has a better charging curve it will still take a good rate of charge at 80 - 100%

·
Registered
Yacht Blue GT Line
43 Posts
Hey Dave,

I got the same Wall Charger as you. I was able to adjust the car to do what you're asking for. Charge limits within the Kia connect app.

Take a look here.

Tire Font Communication Device Wheel Screenshot

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. So it looks like we need to use the Kia connect app as well as the wallbox app, because the amps can only be controlled by the wallbox app and the charge limits only by the Kia app. I suppose I could get used to that. I certainly am looking forward to being able to use my phone to warm the car up before leaving in the morning up here in MA. Have you experimented with charging at 32 amps instead of 40? I'm curious how much of a difference that would make in charge time. Presumably it will still charge overnight, and I think it's better for battery longevity to lower the amps of charging (obviously will charge as fast as possible when on the road).

·
Registered
167 Posts

This is what is recommended from the Kia EV6 manual on page 1-5....

Smile Rectangle Water Font Circle

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thank you. So it looks like we need to use the Kia connect app as well as the wallbox app, because the amps can only be controlled by the wallbox app and the charge limits only by the Kia app. I suppose I could get used to that. I certainly am looking forward to being able to use my phone to warm the car up before leaving in the morning up here in MA. Have you experimented with charging at 32 amps instead of 40? I'm curious how much of a difference that would make in charge time. Presumably it will still charge overnight, and I think it's better for battery longevity to lower the amps of charging (obviously will charge as fast as possible when on the road).
No, you can control the amps from the car too - in three stages: Minimum , Reduced and Maximum. Minimum is 6.7kw/29A, Reduced is 9.9kw/42A and Maximum is 10.9kw/46A in the US. Here’s a thread where I provided a few pictures: Does the EV6 allow me to restrict charging to 24AMP?

·
Registered
390 Posts
You really need to convince the manufacturers that they are EVSE, they call them chargers too. (Here's one of many examples).
On a technical level he's right. But nobody really refers to the charger as being in the car and we always talk about them being at the power source end/plug.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. So, it looks like I might not need to use the Wallbox app at all. I can set the amps to 29 to charge overnight at home through the Kia app, schedule charging, and tell it stop at 80% (or it looks like once in a while it should go to 100%). I wonder why I even got a smart charger (and yes, I know it's an evse and the charger is really in the car). Is there any functionality the smart chargers (EVSEs) have that people are using that you can't do with the Kia app?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just had installed over the weekend a Wallbox 48A at home. I use the Wallbox app to track charging progress, to set up time limits for charging (to use best rate), but I have to use the Kia app to make any settings related to HOW the current will hit the car and how much. You will need to use the Wallbox app anyway to use some of its "smart" functionality, otherwise it's just a simple charger that charges at full power when plugged in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had installed over the weekend a Wallbox 48A at home. I use the Wallbox app to track charging progress, to set up time limits for charging (to use best rate), but I have to use the Kia app to make any settings related to HOW the current will hit the car and how much. You will need to use the Wallbox app anyway to use some of its "smart" functionality, otherwise it's just a simple charger that charges at full power when plugged in.
Once you have set up the car on the Kia app and the EVSE in the Wallbox app, can you then charge daily without having to do anything on either app or in the car? I would want to be able to come home, plug in and then the car would be charged at the appropriate time and to the selected level.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Exactly.

I come home and plug in the charger.
  • Settings on the Wallbox app allow me to control when the charger will actually end power to the car. In my case the charger will only start to send power to the car at 5 minutes past midnight (5 minutes gap to be sure cheaper rate kicks in).
  • Settings on the Kia EV access app allow me to say at what rat it will use that current from the charger (6kw / 9kw / 11kw) and up to what level to charge the battery.

Next morning I unplug it and drive away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can schedule charging from the Kia app, as well as charge level.
thanks for your response….
Is this in the KIA access app? I tried to find a start/ stop time but didn’t find that. our electric rates are time of use and it’s cheapest to charge between midnight and 6:00 am so I want to be able to limit charging start and stop times Without having to think about it …

·
Registered
EV6 GT-L RWD
243 Posts
thanks for your response….
Is this in the KIA access app? I tried to find a start/ stop time but didn’t find that. our electric rates are time of use and it’s cheapest to charge between midnight and 6:00 am so I want to be able to limit charging start and stop times Without having to think about it …
If you scroll down to the bottom section, there's a button for Remote Charge Schedule. From there once you enter a departure time, there are some time scheduling options for on/peak and some other settings. I haven't played with it much or have a good baseline to determine if it's limited as far as options go, but it doesn't seem super intuitive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ah.. cool .. I’ll play around and see it‘s sufficient for my purpose otherwise I might just get an app driven ESVE.. thanks again… very excited about finally leaving the hybrid behind and going all EV.

·
Registered
FE Glacier 1500/1500
90 Posts
Related to setting the limits in the APP. I have them set to 80% anbd left my car charging at our work garage station. It has reached 80% will the charging but the app (even after refreshing multiple times) still show CHARGING. I thought becuase I had set the app to 80% when reached the car would automatically STOP CHARGING. Or is the app just incorrect in its representation and charging has stopped?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts