Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just picked up our EV6 on Friday and are getting used to all of the smart driving features. One initial observation is that the lane assist appears to have a slight but noticible oscillation where the steering wheel moves a few degrees left and right something like 1 time per second. I wondered if this had to do with the section of freeway we were on (placement of the dashed lines), but seemed pretty repeatable on various roads. Just seems like a poorly tuned feedback loop. Now I can't help but notice this. Has anyone else experienced similar?

I also noticed some of the Kia verbiage mentions "machine learning". So perhaps this will improve as it learns?

·
Registered
42 Posts
First thing I do with newer cars is turn lane assist off. On a Subaru I had it made the car feel drunk. I'm fine with a beep telling me I'm on the line, but no thank you to steering corrections. BMW is awful also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We just picked up our EV6 on Friday and are getting used to all of the smart driving features. One initial observation is that the lane assist appears to have a slight but noticible oscillation where the steering wheel moves a few degrees left and right something like 1 time per second. I wondered if this had to do with the section of freeway we were on (placement of the dashed lines), but seemed pretty repeatable on various roads. Just seems like a poorly tuned feedback loop. Now I can't help but notice this. Has anyone else experienced similar?

I also noticed some of the Kia verbiage mentions "machine learning". So perhaps this will improve as it learns?
Noticed it also while driving on the freeway yesterday. Kinda feels like it's pinging & ponging ever-so-slightly as the vehicle cruises along. Gonna check it out further, and on some non-highway roads as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Noticed it also while driving on the freeway yesterday. Kinda feels like it's pinging & ponging ever-so-slightly as the vehicle cruises along. Gonna check it out further, and on some non-highway roads as well.
Glad I'm not the only one. Did a bit of looking for what type of improvement the OTA (over the air) updates would support, but looks like it's pretty restricted to entertainment and nav which is not likely something to fix this. Own a 2006 civic hybrid too and we brought the car in for a few control system updates over the years to improve the battery performance. Perhaps Kia will be willing and able to support first model year owners through something similar.

A few other things I've noticed and was hoping they'd eventually support is ability to leave iPedal on by default, use cameras as dash cams, and fix a few other smaller buggy behaviors I've noticed. Fingers crossed 🤞

·
Registered
3 Posts
First thing I do with newer cars is turn lane assist off. On a Subaru I had it made the car feel drunk. I'm fine with a beep telling me I'm on the line, but no thank you to steering corrections. BMW is awful also.

I've got an EV6 on order (ordered in Feb, due in November!!!), but during two test drives I noticed that the "pilot assist" lane control was very active with a very noticeable oscillation that would be disconcerting for a passenger. On a Valve V60 and XC40 we have Pilot Assist whose lane control is excellent for both user experience and ability to carefully and gently remain within the lane. The only drawback on the Valve system is that it feels weighted to the passenger side of the road (left here in the UK) than I would like. Otherwise fine. So, when we do finally receive our EV6 I'll be keeping an eye out for this feature to be improved over time; as you say, it's a simple process integral loop to smooth out the line of control.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 FE
57 Posts
Are we talking about lane keep assistant or the full HDA2? In my experience the HDA2 does a good job steering the car in most situations the only issue I have noticed is when going from 1 lane to 2 lanes when it gets confused.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is full HDA2. It does a good job of identifying and maintaining between the lanes, however unlike the smooth control of Volvo’s Pilot Assist the Kia had a tendency to “wiggle” the steering wheel that you could noticeably feel. My passenger didn’t like it at all and thought I was driving a bit wonky. 😂

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 FE
57 Posts
This is full HDA2. It does a good job of identifying and maintaining between the lanes, however unlike the smooth control of Volvo’s Pilot Assist the Kia had a tendency to “wiggle” the steering wheel that you could noticeably feel. My passenger didn’t like it at all and thought I was driving a bit wonky. 😂
Strange. My car doesn’t do that at all. In fact if I remove my hands from the wheel it will drive itself a good distance until it tells me to put my hands on the wheel. Maybe beyond my perception but that doesn’t sound right if your passenger could tell.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I work at a Dealership. The lane following on all new Kia's works exceptionally well in my opinion. I've never noticed an oscillation like what you are describing. You can turn the lane following and the more basic lane assist on and off separately, by either pressing or holding down the steering wheel icon on the steering wheel. But I don't see how any settings would cause an oscillation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I'm not activating HDA2 and rather just a basic assist. I need to read those pages of the manual more thoroughly, I didn't realize a long hold was needed. Is long hold for HDA2?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For others on the thread, I found this on the ioniq forum. So there are definitely reports of "ping ponging" and also comments that suggest software updates that did improve the behavior.

I've checked and in the US there is still not an update available from Kia's download tool. Hopefully there will be one in the coming months!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree that the automated steering (whatever it is called) in HDA2 gently zig-zags down the centre of the lane. It always stays near the centre of the lane, but as the earlier poster said, the steering wheel is constantly moving left and right a small amount about once a second. Just enough to feel, and so be disconcerting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe I'm not activating HDA2 and rather just a basic assist. I need to read those pages of the manual more thoroughly, I didn't realize a long hold was needed. Is long hold for HDA2?

Thanks!
HDA can be turned on and off in the driver-assist settings, but that just makes the vehicle more aware of its surroundings through various means. The lane following is relatively simple, the camera sees the lanes on the road and follows them. There are two icons for the lane assist and lane following that will appear on the instrument cluster. They will be white when turned on and green when it's active. The steering wheel icon that matches the steering wheel icon on the right side of the steering wheel, that's the lane following. And then an icon of a car between two lanes. That is the more basic lane assist that waits until you actually touch a lane before it nudges you back in. You press and hold the steering wheel icon button to turn that on and off. If there is a rapid oscillation of the steering wheel, then that seems to be something wrong, but even when manually driving you are constantly making small corrections to keep straight. It's hard to tell if what you are experiencing is normal or not.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm pretty satisfied with lane following, but I agree there's a slight oscillation. Not enough for me to worry about it but it could be better. I ALSO notice that, when HDA2 executes a lane change on its own, its correction back to straight in the new lane is noticeably underdamped. Like it knows what straight is, but the control loop on steering angle isn't tuned correctly. I can damp out the oscillation myself with just a hint of extra torque in the opposite direction while it's initially returning to straight. So maybe there's something to the control tuning being just a little off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not significant for me unless in construction zone where lane narrows and lines are closer to either side. So, maybe lane width plays a factor here.

I notice that since day one the car prefers the right edge of the lane. I have confirmed many times looking in either side rearview mirror and the car is noticeably closer to the right lane marker than left. So it has an affinity for the side of lane versus middle. Wish I could adjust that.

Otherwise I use it each way to work and back every day and enjoy taking my hands off the wheel for as much as 3 minutes at a time. It seems the more you drive at speed limit with NAV in the freeway will yield longer hands off times. And it generally doesnt like hands off lane changes on same unless you remove hands just before lane change. I guess my car as insecurity issues. lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not significant for me unless in construction zone where lane narrows and lines are closer to either side. So, maybe lane width plays a factor here.

I notice that since day one the car prefers the right edge of the lane. I have confirmed many times looking in either side rearview mirror and the car is noticeably closer to the right lane marker than left. So it has an affinity for the side of lane versus middle. Wish I could adjust that.

Otherwise I use it each way to work and back every day and enjoy taking my hands off the wheel for as much as 3 minutes at a time. It seems the more you drive at speed limit with NAV in the freeway will yield longer hands off times. And it generally doesnt like hands off lane changes on same unless you remove hands just before lane change. I guess my car as insecurity issues. lol
I'll have to take note of lane width!

Definitely agree on hanging to the right side, I've started to get used to it though.

Is NAV only engaged (green) when the car has reduced it's speed from the setpoint? It only seems to turn on when a car in front slows me down. There are a bunch of acronyms, but NAV probably should have been reserved for navigation 🙂

·
Registered
373 Posts
I notice that since day one the car prefers the right edge of the lane.

Otherwise I use it each way to work and back every day and enjoy taking my hands off the wheel for as much as 3 minutes at a time.
Noticed that as well, though I timed it at 2min exactly hands-off time nag-to-nag. I also notice it refuses to do hands-off lane changes, but if you apply just a hint of torque in the opposite direction of the lane change, it'll still execute the lane change all on its own. I also notice something else about the hands-on nags: it'll nag you any time, reliably, that it thinks it could lose the road. It nags before a lane change, and at least once or twice, I've experienced it doing a bad job finding the new lane such that I preferred to help it out. I've also noticed it nagging when turning into a bend at high speed, the kind where you'd be happy to take it full speed but your passenger might get a little uneasy. I think it nags the moment its lane estimation is at all degraded, or commanded steering torque exceeds a certain threshold.

Is NAV only engaged (green) when the car has reduced it's speed from the setpoint?
No - NAV means navigation-assisted speed. It only goes green when you're at the speed limit for the road, and it means that when the speed limit next changes, your cruise setpoint will change to match. If you're over or under the posted speed limit, it'll maintain your setpoint regardless of what the speed limit does (i.e. you may well blast 66mph into a 50 zone). Not sure how it behaves if you set the "speed limit offset" setting in preferences but I'm assuming that's how you get it to automatically change speeds while deliberately speeding.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts