Kia EV6 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
The wait is frustrating - but that's life in these weird times. Free market economy means buyers and sellers make the best decisions for themselves. I'm not happy about the markup prices but I understand them. It's all a matter of how much it's worth it to you and how much you value (not) waiting. I'm almost 3 months into my wait for MSRP order of a GTline AWD - and that's fine with me.

The funny part is if you were on the other side of the equation - selling a car on say facebook/ebay/whatever and you know for a fact it's worth $20k -- but you have an endless stream of lowballers, scammers, tire kickers offering you $10k. Would you take it? or wait an extra few weeks for a buyer who knows the market and the product? It's only worth what people are willing to pay is a two way street.

I wanted a Model Y for years - and while I think their tech is cool, it's the same game just a different logo. Price goes up regularly on all Teslas lately, there's no negotiation, take it or leave it. And unless you are spending 6 figures -- you get to wait 6 months or even a year for your car to get produced.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The wait is frustrating - but that's life in these weird times. Free market economy means buyers and sellers make the best decisions for themselves. I'm not happy about the markup prices but I understand them. It's all a matter of how much it's worth it to you and how much you value (not) waiting. I'm almost 3 months into my wait for MSRP order of a GTline AWD - and that's fine with me.

The funny part is if you were on the other side of the equation - selling a car on say facebook/ebay/whatever and you know for a fact it's worth $20k -- but you have an endless stream of lowballers, scammers, tire kickers offering you $10k. Would you take it? or wait an extra few weeks for a buyer who knows the market and the product? It's only worth what people are willing to pay is a two way street.

I wanted a Model Y for years - and while I think their tech is cool, it's the same game just a different logo. Price goes up regularly on all Teslas lately, there's no negotiation, take it or leave it. And unless you are spending 6 figures -- you get to wait 6 months or even a year for your car to get produced.
I'm about 3 months in waiting for it, that 5-10K is worth it for me to wait as I don't need this vehicle as I have a perfectly working Telluride right now to hold me over.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm about 3 months in waiting for it, that 5-10K is worth it for me to wait as I don't need this vehicle as I have a perfectly working Telluride right now to hold me over.
Nice -- yeah my situation was bonkers in that when I placed the order for my GT line I also picked up a shitbox Chevy Spark the kia dealership was selling used. Because I needed a car "right now" as mine was totaled (red light runner got me)

Prices are absolutely stupid -- but $10k for a shitty old spark, is still the cheaper/easier way. I looked into long term rental car... thats a couple grand a month. At least when I get the EV6 I can turn around and sell the spark and get most of my money back. Words cannot state how crappy that car is 84HP when new, 4 cylinders, and a gentle hill defeats it lol. The other option was to borrow dad's old school F150 that got 18mpg and no working AC. Bit of a hard no considering we have been 105-112F the past month straight.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I hope you don't expect any EV to be as good as Telluride because you will be disappointed. I'm only expecting my EV6 to be 70% as good as a Telluride and that's good enough for me.

What Kia needs is to build a Telluride EV... not the EV9... Telluride as an EV... same controls, same features, same safety system, same visibility.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I hope you don't expect any EV to be as good as Telluride because you will be disappointed. I'm only expecting my EV6 to be 70% as good as a Telluride and that's good enough for me.

What Kia needs is to build a Telluride EV... not the EV9... Telluride as an EV... same controls, same features, same safety system, same visibility.
Oh no, we realize it's smaller, the EV6 does have better tech, gas mileage, and performance. ;) We will miss the long trips in it as it is the best land yacht I've ever been in. We want something more efficient to run back and forth to work and around town though. We will still have an Ice for long trips though, so It'll be a great add for us.

·
Registered
1 Posts
🎉 We were able to secure a Wind+AWD+Tech Package. With trade-in and everything it'll end up being about $1K over MSRP. The advantage is we'll have it on the 20th of August.

Now my wife and I get to wait until it comes in.

I talked the price of the vehicle down and our trade-in up -- so it nets out to being a pretty decent deal. And they are throwing in the at home level 2 charger as part of the deal -- this will be our first EV so it's nice to have that when we leave the dealership for the 5 hour drive home.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I always found it funny when people were outraged at these dealership mark-ups. If they can find a sucker to pay crazy prices, more power to them. Some people are impatient and that's fine, let them pay their "impatient" fee.

When I bought my Camaro in February, other dealerships were going $5000+ over MSRP. I actually got my dealership to charge me employee pricing, which knocked the price down by about $4000 off of MSRP. The reason for it, my trade in was a low mile SS sedan in near perfect condition. The dealership raked me over the coals with my trade-in, giving me about $2000 LESS than the next best offer. Retail price, the car could've sold for $8000+ more easily. I figured $9000 less than the price others were paying, even though I was a little low-balled on my trade, I didn't make out too bad. Similarly optioned versions of my Camaro are selling used right now for about $10k to $20k more than what I paid.

If you want to try and get a great deal, make sure you have something to bargain with. My trade in for my ordered EV6 is a 2022 Nissan Leaf. I'm sure the dealership would love to have a current model vehicle that they can mark up and insist that the shortages are still in effect. I would imagine they can convince a consumer that paying MSRP prices for a slightly used EV is great economical sense.
Next time, treat your trade-in as a separate transaction so you don't get raked over the coals. If you treat them as separate transactions, you have more control and you can easily change your mind to sell the trade private party if you really wanted (or tell the dealer you have a better offer at another dealer to buy your car and if they don't want to pay that price, you'll just private party sell to the other dealer).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Next time, treat your trade-in as a separate transaction so you don't get raked over the coals. If you treat them as separate transactions, you have more control and you can easily change your mind to sell the trade private party if you really wanted (or tell the dealer you have a better offer at another dealer to buy your car and if they don't want to pay that price, you'll just private party sell to the other dealer).
thing is in a few states (here in TX at least) trading in helps offset taxable value of the new car. Depending on what you are trading in that's an automatic 1 possibly 2k you don't have to pay in taxes on the new car if you do everything in one transaction. Long as the numbers make sense on your side, if they whip out that 4 square garbage I leave. I generally go in with a rough outline on a spreadsheet with the numbers.

I've done the "better offer" thing a few times and that only works if you have proof of an offer. They lowball, I say "I've got an offer in my hand from CarMax for 2k more than you are offering". They will take the paper make sure it's a legit and (still) valid offer then always raise their number to match.

Private party -- ooof, I'll take the couple of grand hit to save myself time/money/safety of dealing with the public. The few times I sold privately it was like every mentally damaged person in the city was replying to my ad, and every single one of them are broke as hell.

·
Registered
52 Posts
thing is in a few states (here in TX at least) trading in helps offset taxable value of the new car. Depending on what you are trading in that's an automatic 1 possibly 2k you don't have to pay in taxes on the new car if you do everything in one transaction. Long as the numbers make sense on your side, if they whip out that 4 square garbage I leave. I generally go in with a rough outline on a spreadsheet with the numbers.

I've done the "better offer" thing a few times and that only works if you have proof of an offer. They lowball, I say "I've got an offer in my hand from CarMax for 2k more than you are offering". They will take the paper make sure it's a legit and (still) valid offer then always raise their number to match.

Private party -- ooof, I'll take the couple of grand hit to save myself time/money/safety of dealing with the public. The few times I sold privately it was like every mentally damaged person in the city was replying to my ad, and every single one of them are broke as hell.
Yeah, they do that in my state as well, but if you're getting more money and it will offset the extra tax hit and then some, private party sale it is. Right now guaranteed trade-in for my subaru is like $27k, but private party is $32k. If I bought a $50k car straight up, that's $3k in tax (with $27k trade, tax is now $1380). If I sold the car, the buyer is responsible for the sales tax on the 'fair market value' of the car (here in PA) and not on the purchase price of the car. So if I sold the car privately, I'd have an extra $2k in profit when I pay that $3k in sales tax on the new car.

As you said, as long as you do the math to make sure it makes sense, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm in Phoenix and I placed an order with Jake Sweeney in Florence KY on June 4th. Was told 3-4 months. I'm coming up on month two, so will be checking in with them soon to see if they have any update. My salesman was Don, but I also was speaking to the Sales Manager. I also had refused to buy one here with the ADM. I have a nice little road trip planned when it arrives.
i live in MA and I also have an order placed with Jake Sweeney in KY. I place my order on June 1. I have called, but I haven't gotten an update.

·
Registered
eAWD Steel Matte Gray w/ White Vegan
28 Posts
I planned on reaching out to them mid-late August to see if we have gotten anywhere with things (if I hadn't already heard from them). Who were you dealing with? My salesperson was Don and also talked to the Sales Manager.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bought my EV6 Wind AWD w/tech package from Kia of Columbia (Missouri). No MA per se' -- There was a $400 dealer pack that included fitted Kia EV6 all weather floor mats front, back, and cargo tray, and some tire package the details of which escape me at the moment. So at least I got something useful for that $400. The mats are pretty nice.

No funny business on my trade either. Very happy with my experience.

·
Registered
316 Posts
This dealership wants $74,999 for a USED EV6... While I hate that they're trying to sell it for such a markup, I actually hope someone buys it. That means that if I get my EV6 at MSRP (what the dealership has promised me), then it'll appreciate value as I drive it off the lot.

·
Registered
635 Posts
This dealership wants $74,999 for a USED EV6... While I hate that they're trying to sell it for such a markup, I actually hope someone buys it. That means that if I get my EV6 at MSRP (what the dealership has promised me), then it'll appreciate value as I drive it off the lot.

LOL I live in the metro area where that dealership is located; they wouldn't sell me a Telluride at MSRP when I was in the market for one last year, yet they keep spamming my inbox with "deals".

·
Registered
316 Posts
LOL I live in the metro area where that dealership is located; they wouldn't sell me a Telluride at MSRP when I was in the market for one last year, yet they keep spamming my inbox with "deals".
Tellurides were going for markups before Covid in this area (DFW). Everyone wanted to "keep up with the Joneses" with their big SUVs, but the Tahoe/Suburban/Navigator/Escalade life was too expensive for some. This had about 9/10ths the size with 13/10ths the features.

There's a dealership here (Clay Cooley Kia) that claimed at least a $5000 mark-up on the EV6, and I was getting calls from their sales department all the time. Finally, I answered one of their calls and explained to them that their sales associate told me that there was a $5000 markup and that another dealership was offering me MSRP. I told them that they sold me my last 2 Kias and that's the last of my business that they would be getting.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Tellurides were going for markups before Covid in this area (DFW). Everyone wanted to "keep up with the Joneses" with their big SUVs, but the Tahoe/Suburban/Navigator/Escalade life was too expensive for some. This had about 9/10ths the size with 13/10ths the features.
I realize I'm going a bit off-topic here, but does anyone remember when Tahoes and Suburbans used to be priced in the $30K range back during the first decade of this century? Sure, many years have passed since then but who would have imagined that a decently well-equipped blue-collar SUV such as a Tahoe or Suburban now retails for $60K or more, with fully-loaded ones going for much more than what I paid for my FE? And don't get me started on the Escalade--a fully-loaded one now goes for roughly $100K...and that's not including the recently-released Escalade-V version which retails for nearly 2.5x the price of an FE.

·
Registered
15 Posts

There's a dealership here (Clay Cooley Kia) that claimed at least a $5000 mark-up on the EV6, and I was getting calls from their sales department all the time. Finally, I answered one of their calls and explained to them that their sales associate told me that there was a $5000 markup and that another dealership was offering me MSRP. I told them that they sold me my last 2 Kias and that's the last of my business that they would be getting.
That EV6 has way more than a 5K mark-up, trust me. I went in one day with them telling me MSRP at the start of June. It was "59,998" MSRP with a level 2 fast charger at 2K plus their "family care plan" lol what a joke. I got mine from Southwest Kia instead w/ the dealer package that was $2500. They have quickly replaced a small creaky spring in my steering, re-tinted the passanger window when it it developed a weird scratch, and even gave me all the weather mats and cargo cover when it wasn't originally included. Did I like having to buy an extra $2500 package? No, but each time I call them about any question they always make it a priority.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I realize I'm going a bit off-topic here, but does anyone remember when Tahoes and Suburbans used to be priced in the $30K range back during the first decade of this century? Sure, many years have passed since then but who would have imagined that a decently well-equipped blue-collar SUV such as a Tahoe or Suburban now retails for $60K or more, with fully-loaded ones going for much more than what I paid for my FE? And don't get me started on the Escalade--a fully-loaded one now goes for roughly $100K...and that's not including the recently-released Escalade-V version which retails for nearly 2.5x the price of an FE.
lol, yeah the cost of everything is just climbing and climbing. Both sides of the political aisle blame each other. I keep saying the solution is easy, tie the tax rate of the top 20% (hoping to include all that control the cost of goods) to the same rate of the cost of living and see how much inflation we see. If the policy is implemented well enough (no loopholes), how many wealthy people would raise the price of goods knowing that it will affect them directly?

I remember buying my 06 GTO new in 2006. It had a Corvette engine and could seat 4 adults. It cost me $26K. Before that, I bought a new 2002 Silverado for about $24,000. Sometimes I feel like kicking myself in the balls and I go here Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2022 plug in my salary from 10-20 years ago, and compare it to today's money. 💔

That EV6 has way more than a 5K mark-up, trust me. I went in one day with them telling me MSRP at the start of June. It was "59,998" MSRP with a level 2 fast charger at 2K plus their "family care plan" lol what a joke. I got mine from Southwest Kia instead w/ the dealer package that was $2500. They have quickly replaced a small creaky spring in my steering, re-tinted the passanger window when it it developed a weird scratch, and even gave me all the weather mats and cargo cover when it wasn't originally included. Did I like having to buy an extra $2500 package? No, but each time I call them about any question they always make it a priority.
You know that they make it a priority because their service department is having to generate more of their income, right? I'm still holding out hope for my EV6 coming in at the MSRP that Moritz Kia promised me. I even told the Kia salesman that there is a decent chance that I sell him back my EV6 if I don't absolutely love it and decide to take delivery of the i4 that I ordered back in April. I'd have to have some real issues with the EV6 in order to take delivery of the i4 at this point as I believe the EV6 has more features for the money. About the only thing that the BMW would have is name recognition as far as resale value. But when I look at used EV6 prices, that may not hold true.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You know that they make it a priority because their service department is having to generate more of their income, right? I'm still holding out hope for my EV6 coming in at the MSRP that Moritz Kia promised me. I even told the Kia salesman that there is a decent chance that I sell him back my EV6 if I don't absolutely love it and decide to take delivery of the i4 that I ordered back in April. I'd have to have some real issues with the EV6 in order to take delivery of the i4 at this point as I believe the EV6 has more features for the money. About the only thing that the BMW would have is name recognition as far as resale value. But when I look at used EV6 prices, that may not hold true.
This is true and not true at the same time. One of my best buds is the Service Director at one of the largest dealerships in Austin, Texas. Also yes, the service department have to put forth extra effort to earn money for the dealership. However, if your sales person is and the front office staff is literally swindling you, what makes you think their service wouldn't do the same? On top of that, some dealerships handle repairs based on FIFO. In other words, it doesn't matter if you just bought the shiny new Telluride if you are behind a line of 10 Kia Souls being repaired you are pretty much stuck.

I also had considered getting an order from Mortiz but in hind sight I'm glad I pulled the trigger. If they pass the new EV credit law before delivery that may be -$7500 in the pocket book all in the name of "msrp only". Now granted if they get you it prior and are true to their word, then by all means it was worth it. However, if I was a buyer now and the markup was small I'd take the hit to ensure I'm getting that $7500. Either way I hope we can both agree, screw Klay Cooley.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts