Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Jus joined up today, so hello 馃憢.

I know this has been done to death, so apologies in advance, but I was just wondering if anyone has any updated advice on looking after the Matte Grey paint?

I鈥檝e ordered a UK EV6 GT-Line in the Matte colourway and whilst I鈥檓 incredibly excited for it to arrive (April, but I鈥檝e prepared myself for a longer wait 馃槀) I won鈥檛 lie, the Matte paintwork is starting to give me the fear. I鈥檓 not too concerned about cleaning etc. as I鈥檓 happy to put the effort in to do so, but it鈥檚 more chips, scratches etc. that are concerning. I鈥檝e spoken to a couple of detailers and they鈥檝e suggested a ceramic coating, which I guess will do a reasonable job towards affording it some protection, but from everything I鈥檝e read, I wonder whether PPF is something to seriously consider, I鈥檇 prefer not to do that as I鈥檓 not overly keen on spending another ~4K.

So, just looking for some advice really - Ceramic coat, PPF and cry, sack it and go for the black and accept the delay or learn to stop worrying and love the bomb?

Registered
First Edition #77
There鈥檚 many threads that discuss but think most are in this one.
Basically comes down to:
PPF: most expensive, best protection
Ceramic: good to great protection, less cost.

Ceramics can be tricky. Make sure you鈥檙e comparing apples to apples when you talk to your installer. Some are 1 coat, some are multiple. Some offer warranty, others don鈥檛.

I鈥檓 going for multi coat ceramic with warranty at around $1600 USD. My installer suggested that would be a perfectly good option and suggested that unless you didn鈥檛 like the color of your vehicle he鈥檇 choose ceramic over PPF.

You could also just get the black then wrap it in a matte PPF. That鈥檇 be pretty awesome 馃槀

Registered
Matte grey looks fantastic but I just couldn't be arsed with taking care of it.

Reactions: Kent EV6

Registered
鈥淧ennington, who has worked for Meguiar's for 23 years, stresses that matte paint finishes aren't any less durable than regular gloss finishes, but they simply need more attention to keep them looking new.鈥

Registered
Matte Gray EV6, Nissan Leaf (2013)
I鈥檓 going for multi coat ceramic with warranty at around $1600 USD. My installer suggested that would be a perfectly good option and suggested that unless you didn鈥檛 like the color of your vehicle he鈥檇 choose ceramic over PPF.
I'm curious if your multi-coat ceramic product is specific for matte finish? Does it add any gloss?
Thanks, I'm getting my matte gray today and trying to decide on Dr Beasley's matte paint (pro) vs. Ceramic Pro

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks, that鈥檚 helping me get over my fear a little bit. I spoke to a detailer today who suggested that even if a matte finish was to get scratched, a good paint shop would be able to sort it without a full body respray, so whether that鈥檚 the case or not I鈥檓 not 100% sure, but he certainly seemed to know his stuff.

Registered
Matte Gray EV6, Nissan Leaf (2013)
Thanks folks, that鈥檚 helping me get over my fear a little bit. I spoke to a detailer today who suggested that even if a matte finish was to get scratched, a good paint shop would be able to sort it without a full body respray, so whether that鈥檚 the case or not I鈥檓 not 100% sure, but he certainly seemed to know his stuff.
Good to hear...

Registered
2021 Tesla MY, EV6 FE
That's actually pretty surprising to hear. Everywhere I read online and shops I spoke with said it was very difficult to do. Regardless I would definitely suggest you get the paint protected via either Ceramic or PPF wrap because the matte paint will show up marks very easily.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's actually pretty surprising to hear. Everywhere I read online and shops I spoke with said it was very difficult to do. Regardless I would definitely suggest you get the paint protected via either Ceramic or PPF wrap because the matte paint will show up marks very easily.
I was pretty surprised when he said that as well, but he was adamant that it can be done.

Registered
EV6 GTL AWD Heat pump
This video from Kia America shows how to care for matte paint,
Its too much hassle for me. The Kia youtube channel has loads of useful info. Do a search for kia matt paint care, there is plenty out there. Of course some of the "advice " may not be trustworthy especially if it come from someone trying to sell something. If you can get experience from this forum from someone who has actually used a product that's best

Registered
First Edition #77
This video from Kia America shows how to care for matte paint,
Its too much hassle for me. The Kia youtube channel has loads of useful info. Do a search for kia matt paint care, there is plenty out there. Of course some of the "advice " may not be trustworthy especially if it come from someone trying to sell something. If you can get experience from this forum from someone who has actually used a product that's best
That video is mostly correct except one part. I was always taught to wash top down.

Registered
I was always taught, rinse all over first, then wash from bottom up. This way you can actually see and clean the dirt as you work your way up. Washing from the top down, any dirty marks are covered by the water running down over them. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it though :sneaky:

Registered
A salesman called me today to say they have a matte gray available and if I get a ceramic coating done then it can be driven through a carwash. Hmmmm, don't think I'll spend $60K based on his statement. Has anyone else been told this?

Registered
2021 Tesla MY, EV6 FE
A salesman called me today to say they have a matte gray available and if I get a ceramic coating done then it can be driven through a carwash. Hmmmm, don't think I'll spend $60K based on his statement. Has anyone else been told this?
This is in line with what I was told by half a dozen installers as well as from the reading I found online.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is in line with what I was told by half a dozen installers as well as from the reading I found online.
To be honest, I wouldn鈥檛 trust the sales on this, my dealership told me that you can鈥檛 put catalog on the matte paint at all! Personally, I won鈥檛 be going near a machine car wash.

Registered
I have ordered the gt line in gray but I was informed that the gt line is only available in matte moonscape. You who have this color have encountered a problem other than automatic washing in the washing machine.?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts