Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I can't find information how fast EV6 can charge on normal DC charger (lets say 150kW). Everywhere Kia claims speeds for 800V infrastructure.
I've heard that booster 400 to 800V (afaik inverter in motor) has peak power of 100kW.
Can anyone confirm if they can charge faster than 100kW on non 800V chargers.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I found the following link which says 20 min to go from 20-80% on a 150kW charger which doesn't sound right considering it takes 18 min to go from 10-80% on a 350kW/800v charger.

When I got the notification on this thread I was literally looking at information on Electrify America 350kw charging stations which supports 800v charging because Alex on Autos was just able to verify that you can charge an Ioniq 5 with a 77.4 kWh battery from 10-80% in 18 min at an Electrify America 350kW charging station. Here's that video.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,
I can't find information how fast EV6 can charge on normal DC charger (lets say 150kW). Everywhere Kia claims speeds for 800V infrastructure.
I've heard that booster 400 to 800V (afaik inverter in motor) has peak power of 100kW.
TODAY I charged my EV6 GT from 10 to 80% SOC in 24 min on an EA 350 kW CCS charger in town, it opened last Feb so a year old. Minimum rate was 119 kW at the start, Max rate was 201 kW about 10-12 min in.. probably "averaged about 140-150 kW. BTW the car predicted 24 minutes for the charge and was dead on. Temp was 58 F so coolish but battery was warm from a 100 mile drive.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hi,
I found the following link which says 20 min to go from 20-80% on a 150kW charger which doesn't sound right considering it takes 18 min to go from 10-80% on a 350kW/800v charger.
Interesting point - My 350kW sessions stay above 150kW long enough that it feels like a 150kW ceiling would be a big hit. Might have to seek out a 150kW charger to try it next time I'm low. OTOH, 150kW is only 40% less than 250kW, 20min is 11% longer than 18, and 40% longer is still only 25min.

What I definitely DID notice the other day charging at a 50kW station was that the car sucks those chargers dry, which is awesome - the 800V architecture plus boost converter means it can charge at constant (and max) power from a 50kW charger, instead of being current-limited like 400V packs are (thus, always operating BELOW 50kW, until near the end of the charge cycle). So even at lower power 400V chargers, this car STILL charges faster.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
307 Posts
Hi,
Last time I used the 150KW EA chargers near my house I was getting 135 KW, so, yes, you can definitely get more than 100.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow, I wish I could have found chargers going that fast on my drive home from the dealership. I routinely saw 350 kW chargers delivering in the mid 70s, even with a low SOC. I got cited when one started at 196 kW and told me 14 min to 80%; started about 15%. Went inside to the bathroom and to get a soda, checked the app and it was down to 77 kW. A few minutes after getting back to the car it was in the 50s and now telling me 24 minutes to 80%. :mad: It was only at 40-45%.

I bailed on it as there were no restaurants around and went to another chargers location with multiple restaurant options. I plugged into a 150 kW charger there and it seemed to stay at 75-77 kW the whole time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow, I wish I could have found chargers going that fast on my drive home from the dealership. I routinely saw 350 kW chargers delivering in the mid 70s, even with a low SOC. I got cited when one started at 196 kW and told me 14 min to 80%; started about 15%. Went inside to the bathroom and to get a soda, checked the app and it was down to 77 kW. A few minutes after getting back to the car it was in the 50s and now telling me 24 minutes to 80%. :mad: It was only at 40-45%.

I bailed on it as there were no restaurants around and went to another chargers location with multiple restaurant options. I plugged into a 150 kW charger there and it seemed to stay at 75-77 kW the whole time.
Any chance the machine was sharing a circuit with another one? Did someone come in and charge next to you? The same one I posted 133 on I was only getting in the 80s when other vehicles were charging at the same time...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Any chance the machine was sharing a circuit with another one? Did someone come in and charge next to you? The same one I posted 133 on I was only getting in the 80s when other vehicles were charging at the same time...
The first one I was the only one there. There were three other chargers, but no other cars.

The second one that started at 196 kW had one or two other cars there. The third, which ran the best and was the lowest output (150 kW), had two or three other cars, but they also have 8 chargers. I need to pay attention to where the other cars are located to avoid shared circuits.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I need to pay attention to where the other cars are located to avoid shared circuits.
I have no idea how practical that actually is, and best case, it's not at all practical. V2 superchargers used to have pairwise capacity sharing, i.e. 1A and 1B would split 150kW available between them. V3 superchargers are 250, and no longer converter-capacity-limited, but they're still grid-interconnect limited to 350kW i.e. worst case, 4 plaids show up at low charge when the charger battery is also dead, they'd each get 87kW max.

I think that's more like what we see with Electrify America - I'm sure if a fleet of low-SOC EGMPs show up, there's a power bottleneck in there somewhere. But it's not as simple as 350kW shared between adjacent stalls.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
307 Posts
Battery temperature can make a difference. Too low, and it slows down until the battery heats up. Too high, and it also slows down. Unless you want to get an OBD dongle and monitor the battery temps via a phone app, what's going on inside is invisible and you're left guessing why it's not going as fast.

Above a certain SOC it will slow down.

Or it could be the charger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts