Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 G-Line RWD Yacht Blue
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my first highway trip yesterday since driving it home 350 miles. Despite a lower average speed and higher outside temperature, I got fewer miles per watt. The difference: steeper elevation changes.

Anyway, I was using the Kia navigation on the first part of the trip to test it out. Twice it made what I'd consider very poor choices.

(1) After my first charge it put me back on the interstate where I got off, even though a huge backup had started due to an accident a couple of miles further on. It was a developed area with several alternate routes that would have been faster. Good news is I got to test the stop-and-go mode on the cruise, which worked like a charm.

(2) The nav kept me on the interstate until it ended at a very congested intersection requiring a left hand turn. It didn't take the last exit, which I later found out would have been much faster. (Also thumbs down to Pennsylvania for not having signage to that effect.)

At my next charge stop I switched back to Google maps and won't be switching back.

As for audio I had started the mp3 player on my phone via Android Auto while I input the destination in the Kia nav. It continued working until the first charge stop where I needed to unplug the phone to use at the EA charger and wouldn't restart with the nav running. Looks like a workaround could be to clear the nav, start the audio, and restart the nav.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Any factory navigation system is going to be "uninformed". They are glorified gas station maps that get you from point A to point B. It keeps you from getting lost but it isn't capable of gathering real-time information. Google is collecting information from everyone's phone and - at least in this case - is using it for good to track movement. Garmin GPS with traffic information falls somewhere in between.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Any factory navigation system is going to be "uninformed". They are glorified gas station maps that get you from point A to point B. It keeps you from getting lost but it isn't capable of gathering real-time information. Google is collecting information from everyone's phone and - at least in this case - is using it for good to track movement. Garmin GPS with traffic information falls somewhere in between.
That isn't true in the UK. The Nav definitely gets real-time information about accidents and delays here.

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line (AWD) White
110 Posts
Top right corner of my screen, I can see a 'live' symbol that indicates that I get live traffic data (in EU version).. I hear that its TomTom (another big GPS maker) that provides the system to Kia..

But it might just factor this in at start of a route.. I've never (yet) seen a detour popup or something to that effect.. but I also never (yet) had the case when driving.

In all honesty, the Kia navigation is a sorry state... no charger planning, no expected battery SoC at arrival. EV functions seems tacked on and is not integrated deeply.
Use 'A Better Route Planner' on your phone projection of choice for a better map really...

·
Registered
496 Posts
In the U.S. the Kia navigation is capable of pulling live traffic info via HD Radio signal; is its traffic feature better and/or more accurate than Google Maps traffic--hard to say, but at least it is capable of providing decent traffic info.

·
Registered
22 G-Line RWD Yacht Blue
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was getting traffic info as indicated by the colored roads on the map. But the red on the backed up interstate didn't show up until I was already on the onramp. I guess there was an issue with receiving and processing current data. Still suboptimal.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It can certainly pull live trafic - and live parking where available and also live charging stations to see if there’s a spot available. I charged our EV6 on public chargers a month before we got our home charger, and live charging stations proved to be very useful and reliable.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was in the wilds of Norfolk a few weeks ago and was using the car's built-in navigation. My wife was using Google Maps as a backup as we hadn't had the car long and weren't sure how effective the navigation was.
We came to a very slow moving bit of traffic and neither navigation showed a delay. It was apparent we had just caught up with an accident that must have happened less than 5 minutes before we got to the congestion. Neither navigation showed any delay but the car's navigation was the first to show congestion and also the first to attempt an alternative route.
I think real-time updates are very dependent on the number of users on the relevant part of the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts