Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1 of 300 ON, GTA
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday (Monday, July 25th) I saw a brief message on the screen when I started my car. The message said something about an OTA update, but not much more as to what might have been updated. Wish I had the presence of mind to snap a photo but I had to be somewhere.

Today, checking the General Settings screen, the only thing I see that may have been updated is the Navigation app, which has the following version info:

STD5W.NAM.KMC.220504.8a3565b

Anyone else in Canada get some kind or OTA update recently?

I did use the NAV feature but didn't notice any change in behaviour. On the other hand I don't use the NAV much, especially the voice option, because it isn't that straight forward to use and often can't find a place or address. The keyboard is better but still not great.

I use the HereWeGo app (not a fan of Google Maps) on my Android cellphone and it works very well, though I am entering info with the on-screen keyboard. I may be wrong (yet again :() but I think the NAV software for the EV6 is developed by the same company that provides the free HereWeGo app. So why is the free app so much better than the one in a very pricey car?

· Registered
1 of 300 ON, GTA
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I checked with Hyundai mapnsoft.com, who handles the mapping software for Kia, and was informed that I have the most recent update, which was May 4th. Software version: CV_.CAN.55W_MV008.001.220504

So it isn't a mapping software update that I saw. I've also emailed Kia Canada support asking for info about a possible OTA system update that may have occurred yesterday (or the night before while the vehicle was parked).

· Registered
1,849 Posts
I haven’t seen any OTA messages but then again, my car sits in a parkade and the cell chip in the car is significantly weaker than our phone’s. It doesn’t receive Kia Connect weather even when I sit on the ground floor near the entrance, never mind at my parking spot below ground. (And I have cellphone reception downstairs).

· Registered
EV6 First Edition
29 Posts
I checked with Hyundai mapnsoft.com, who handles the mapping software for Kia, and was informed that I have the most recent update, which was May 4th. Software version: CV_.CAN.55W_MV008.001.220504

So it isn't a mapping software update that I saw. I've also emailed Kia Canada support asking for info about a possible OTA system update that may have occurred yesterday (or the night before while the vehicle was parked).
I had seen the same message update briefly, it then disappeared. Could not locate it again nor see if any update occurred. So it is not specific to Canada.

· Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
821 Posts
Yesterday (Monday, July 25th) I saw a brief message on the screen when I started my car. The message said something about an OTA update, but not much more as to what might have been updated. Wish I had the presence of mind to snap a photo but I had to be somewhere.

Today, checking the General Settings screen, the only thing I see that may have been updated is the Navigation app, which has the following version info:

STD5W.NAM.KMC.220504.8a3565b

Anyone else in Canada get some kind or OTA update recently?

I did use the NAV feature but didn't notice any change in behaviour. On the other hand I don't use the NAV much, especially the voice option, because it isn't that straight forward to use and often can't find a place or address. The keyboard is better but still not great.

I use the HereWeGo app (not a fan of Google Maps) on my Android cellphone and it works very well, though I am entering info with the on-screen keyboard. I may be wrong (yet again :() but I think the NAV software for the EV6 is developed by the same company that provides the free HereWeGo app. So why is the free app so much better than the one in a very pricey car?
Yes, Here maps provides the OEM mapping software in our cars. I saw a rumour that it's going to be switched but I'm skeptical.

I was wondering the same thing because my house address wasn't on the map when I bought the car. I found the same when I test drove an MME, and they used HERE maps, so I updated the master files that very day.

Interestingly, my house wasn't on Kia's as-shipped November maps, but is included in the April 2022 update. So guess what?

Some googling found this tool to update the Hyundai/Kia "mapnsoft" provider. Turns out it's actually just HERE behind the scenes, and from this page are links to various tools to suggest updates to HERE's maps:

Ignore that it says "login" above - it doesn't require an account or login.

So odds are, my attempts to update Ford's map also got my home address into Kia's most recent update :)

· Registered
1 of 300 ON, GTA
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a link to a discussion by the US guys about OTA updates. It may be related to what I experienced on the 25th.

· Registered
1 of 300 ON, GTA
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Edited to correct unintended misinformation.

I just checked again and the map download for the Canadian EV6 is NOT available. Please disregard my post about it being available.

Not sure what happened. Maybe I inadvertently was on the US map site. However, I checked both the US and Canadian download sites just now and neither the EV6 download is available, nor is the Kia Soul EV download available.

Yesterday I saw both the EV6 and Soul EV listed for the October 2022 download. Wish I had done screen shots. In any event they are not there now,

Yesterday I was able to download and install the map update for the Kia Soul EV..

Good news! The Canadian October 2022 Navigation Map and Software Update for the EV6 is available for download now. :D

About a week ago Kia/Hyundai MapnSoft advised me that the scheduled October software update would be delayed for the EV6 until mid-November. However its available now. So much for their support. :rolleyes: Maybe it is a matter of "under promise and over deliver".

I'm terribly sorry if I sent anyone on a wild goose chase for the software update..

I deleted more text below this as it is no longer relevant.

· Registered
1 of 300 ON, GTA
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
My EV6 install attempt failed, though my download and install for our 2020 Kia Soul EV was successful. This was Friday evening, October 28th. :(

Note: above edited for clarity.

Not sure why. I used the same method and same USB stick that worked on the Soul EV update. :confused:

The download appeared to be successful. And it appears all the files are on the USB stick. After inserting the USB stick in the slot in the car I see a message on the screen Reading USB. But when I select Update I get a message to try reinserting the USB. Went through those steps half a dozen times with no change in behaviour - thought perhaps the USB was seating properly.

Will try tomorrow with a different USB and a new download. If and when successful I will post here.

Edit below for additional info:
Today, Saturday October 29th, I went to the Canadian download site for a fresh download and the EV6 and 2020 Soul EV are no longer listed. Some kind of pre-holloween trick? not funny. :mad:

· Registered
4 Posts
My install attempt failed. :(

Not sure why. I used the same method and same USB stick that worked on the Soul EV update. :confused:

The download appeared to be successful. And it appears all the files are on the USB stick. After inserting the USB stick in the slot in the car I see a message on the screen Reading USB. But when I select Update I get a message to try reinserting the USB. Went through those steps half a dozen times with no change in behaviour - thought perhaps the USB was seating properly.

Will try tomorrow with a different USB and a new download. If and when successful I will post here.
I tried this morning to download the update, but the EV6 is no longer listed, and the updater says there is no update available. So this is interesting, perhaps we will have to wait until mid November.

· Registered
81 Posts
Like you tried to do the same here in the US. EV6 is no longer listed in fact looks last year a car was eligible was the 2020 Forte. Go figure. My worry is they pulled it because of bugs in their update.

· Registered
1 of 300 ON, GTA
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Canadian Dave and @mcgsp

I think you must be right that they pulled the update. It was there last night (Friday). I did download and install the October update for our 2020 Souls EV. And I was able to download the October 2022 update for the EV6. But it would not install.

And yes, now I'm concerned that there may be some serious glitch in the software install I did on our Soul EV. :oops:

I still have the files I downloaded for the Soul EV. But the files I downloaded for the EV6 are deleted.

· Registered
1,849 Posts
Hmm, I installed the EV6 update yesterday. Will keep an eye out but given that they did something similar in April, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. (That’s why you’ll see discussions stating both the “April update” and “may update” depending when the forum member downloaded theirs).

· Registered
1 of 300 ON, GTA
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@KiaevCan
Fascinating that you were able to install that update, though it didn't install for me. Especially since the download and install for our 2020 Soul EV was successful.

When attemting to install the download for the EV6 I kept getting a message to re-insert the USB stick. The next day I went out and bought a new USB memory stick in case that was the problem. Of course then the download was nolonger available.

Guess I will simply have to wait until the EV6 map update is available.

Incidentally, have you noticed any significant changes/differences since you did the update? I imagine that the final release update should be pretty close to what you were able to install.

Frankly I am more anxious to get the battery preconditioning update. Since it will be have to be dealer installed I've been in touch with my dealer (Orangeville Kia) but they have't seen anything from Kia Canada.

· Registered
1,849 Posts
@T9RFBB

I used the same flash drive that I did for the April update. Yes I noticed some changes.
  • The perspective in 3D map mode in the navigation is different (it’s a higher altitude)
  • There’s 3 new “auto scale” options for the nav - Extra low, Default and Extra high. It used to be a list of speeds in 10km/h increments and you could manually choose the zoom level. So on one hand, it’s simplified and on the other hand, you lose granularity
  • The new Sounds of Nature now incorporate some music to the soundscapes. E.g. previously Lively Forest was just birds chirping and other animal noises to make it feel like you’re in the jungle. Now there’s a music accompaniment. The only carry over is Warm Fireplace. The rest are new or augmented with music (Lively Forest, On a Sailboat, City at Dawn, Experience the Universe, Melodic Meditation and Rainy Day)
  • AM and FM radio now incorporate the station logos (previously, it was a hit or miss whether it’ll show up). RDS is also there (again, hit or miss previously).
  • You can now set the volume for each audio source independently
  • You can now set the soundstage for each audio source independently (Authentic, Surround and Custom)
  • “Premium Audio” where you can choose that soundstage is removed from the “Sound” setting. You just change it from the media or radio screen directly (except ACP or AA. You’ll have to change it ahead of time. It uses the Bluetooth Audio setting)

· Registered
1 of 300 ON, GTA
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@KiaevCan
Thanks for all the update info.
Since my EV6 is a pkg-1 I don't have the upgraded audio system so I probably won't have some of the options you have.

The auto scale change is disappointing. I make use of that.
The independent volume settings is a plus. I hope that works for me.

My wife says she thinks the voice sounds different on the NAV for the upgrade to her 2020 Soul EV. But hasn't mentioned noticing any other changes (she's a lite features user so no surprise). I wonder why Kia also pulled that upgrade?

As you haven't mentioned having any issues with the upgrade it is all the more curious to me that Kia pulled it. Many other models did get the October upgrade. I presume the software is pretty much the same across models, with tweaking for differences in hardware capabilities, especially screen size/resolution.

· Registered
1 of 300 ON, GTA
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@twcz3
Thanks for the encouragement :D

I will keep checkimg.

About a week or so ago MapnSoft suggested mid November in a message exchange. Here's hoping (y)

· Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
821 Posts
Disappointed to hear they've added music to the nature sounds - sometimes that's the only thing that can get my littlest one to be quiet in the car.

I thought that the car already had different volume settings for different audio sources?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts