Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
EV6 Wind AWD + Tech Package
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, my dealer is clueless about the front license plate situation on the EV6. There is a pair of holes in the bumper that could be used in a pinch to directly attach the front plates with self-tapping screws. That's not exactly going to look great. There's also a grid of four more holes that don't line up with the NA plate holes and could be intended for use as a dedicated plate bracket.

The car doesn't seem to come with a bracket stowed away anywhere in the car's storage spaces, either.

Did anyone else's US-market EV6 come with a front plate bracket? Got a clueful dealer with a part number?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the vendor of the plate stickers:

There is no such law that determines that non-standard vinyl licence[sic] plate replica are illegal. Therefore, you should not be in any legal trouble for using a non-standard vinyl licence plate replica.
That's misleading at best. I can't speak for the rest of the US, but CO's statute is that the owner must attach the plates which are issued by the state. So it might not necessarily be illegal to attach a plate-like sticker (or euro plate or whatever) to the car, but it wouldn't satisfy the requirement to attach the state-issued plate, either.

I'm sure this is more of a "don't break the law when you're breaking the law" type of situation. Cops won't necessarily pull you over just for this, but I'm sure they'd happily tack it on if you get pulled for something else.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm interestied in this as well. After doing some searching I haven't really come up with much other than this picture which shows apparently where it might go. Not terribly esthetic since US plates are too tall for that part of the bumper.
It doesn't appear that there is much of a choice though.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
22 G-Line RWD Yacht Blue
88 Posts
Virginia requires displaying both front and back tags as well. I'll see what my local dealer has to say tomorrow.

Just took a closer look and I see dimples in the middle of the front bumper that would fit license plates. It will probably take some drilling. As for the bumper being more narrow than the tags, my wife's CRV bumper is even narrower.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a closeup of the bumper.

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Car

You can clearly see the guide points where you'd use self-tapping screws or drill a couple of pilot holes to directly mount plates with a NA pitch. However, those other four offer the tantalizing possibility that a proper bracket goes there.

Maybe they are just for another country's mounting pattern, though.

·
Registered
22 G-Line RWD Yacht Blue
88 Posts
You can clearly see the guide points where you'd use self-tapping screws or drill a couple of pilot holes to directly mount plates with a NA pitch. However, those other four offer the tantalizing possibility that a proper bracket goes there.
Something like this might work. And mounted in the middle it reduces the overhang issue.
Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD Yacht Blue
117 Posts
I'm just happy they aren't pre-drilling them like VW was doing on the ID.4 and Ford was doing on Mach-E's. Nobody wants to pick up their 50-60k new vehicle and see holes drilled into it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unfortunately, my dealer is clueless about the front license plate situation on the EV6. There is a pair of holes in the bumper that could be used in a pinch to directly attach the front plates with self-tapping screws. That's not exactly going to look great. There's also a grid of four more holes that don't line up with the NA plate holes and could be intended for use as a dedicated plate bracket.

The car doesn't seem to come with a bracket stowed away anywhere in the car's storage spaces, either.

Did anyone else's US-market EV6 come with a front plate bracket? Got a clueful dealer with a part number?
You can order any bracket and mount it to the US mounting holes. I prefer the full silicone license plate holders to protect the paint. The other holes are for other countries.
Im not sure, but I’m looking into something like this:

This would be illegal. You might get away with it as long as it was your actual tag but I wouldn't risk the potential fines.

·
Registered
2021 Niro EV
1 Posts
Im not sure, but I’m looking into something like this:

I can't imagine why this would be illegal as some have said. There is no sticker on the front bumper (as in some states on the rear one), and it is purely for easy identification. As long as it is the same dimensions it seems like a great option. Maybe just keep the actual metal stored in the car. I am in New Jersey, and I have read that it is isn't even a law that you have to have the front tag attached -- everyone just does it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can't imagine why this would be illegal as some have said. There is no sticker on the front bumper (as in some states on the rear one), and it is purely for easy identification. As long as it is the same dimensions it seems like a great option. Maybe just keep the actual metal stored in the car. I am in New Jersey, and I have read that it is isn't even a law that you have to have the front tag attached -- everyone just does it.
In some states it is law. And as someone said previously the law can dictate that it must be the state issued tag displayed.

Texas law dictates
  • Dimensions
  • Material
  • Legibility
  • Reflectivity
  • Security Features
  • Jurisdiction Name
  • Legend
  • Background Color
  • Characters
  • Graphics
So it would definitely be illegal leading to a fine for not displaying the issued plate. And I imagine potentially jail or a fine for vehicle registration fraud.

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,393 Posts
Heres one with more details for California, its not just some vanity plate, its actually made to match your actual plate:

"an alternative front license plate made of reflective vinyl and is scannable with a License Plate Reader. It replicates the traditional metal plate but just on vinyl"

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had to drill my Lincoln Navigator, but at least Ford had a bracket to mount to the bumper that fits. Remember, in California the front license plate is often the target of thieves as many people never even check to see if the front tag is still on the vehicle. A "security" bracket should be used. This is screwed into the bumper how you like it, then the plate attaches to the security bracket and covers over the holes of the bracket screws. The plate itself is attached with 2-4 security headed screws that cannot be unscrewed without a matching head driver.

·
Registered
2022 Stinger, 2019 Sorento, 2017 Sportage
188 Posts
Heres one with more details for California, its not just some vanity plate, its actually made to match your actual plate:

"an alternative front license plate made of reflective vinyl and is scannable with a License Plate Reader. It replicates the traditional metal plate but just on vinyl"

Maybe, just ask the Dmv about whether they believe it is viable. You can always try the vinyl if they say OK and put the real plate in your glove box. In case you get pulled over. I really doubt it though. I live in Colorado where you are suppose to have front plates and 60% of all the Teslas I see don't put them on. Heck, I see a tone of car with expired temp tags and no tags:oops:. I am wondering why in the world they aren't pulled over.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The main reason they want the front plate is for red light camera evidence.

The vinyl plate is legal in California for the FRONT plate. It doesn't have a tag on it.

I've been driving around without a front plate on my vehicles since 1996 when I had a winch on my Land Rover. After a half dozen parking tickets through the years, I have never been nailed for the lack of a plate. When I got my new EV6 GT-line last week, the dealer did screw in the temporary front plate. He was sorry he had to do it but he couldn't send it off the lot without it. Looks like a good place to mount some fog lights though ;)

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got this, and my dealer was clueless with what to do with it. Was originally in the glove box.
Based on the part number, RR = rear? But if it is rear, damn if I can figure out where to mount it. There aren't any obvious screw hole mounts on the rear black louvered section. And the dealer hadn't had any training, so when they looked at all the sensors & cameras, they gave up & just gave me the bag. I just got my plates in the mail, so now I'm trying to figure out how to mount any of it.

Any ideas if this is front or rear? And anyone have guidance on mounting the rear plate?

Rectangle Wood Font Packing materials Packaging and labeling

Rectangle Font Electric blue Transparency Wood

Font World Wall Concrete Soil
Wood Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior Composite material

·
Registered
EV6 GT-L RWD
242 Posts
I got this, and my dealer was clueless with what to do with it. Was originally in the glove box.
Based on the part number, RR = rear? But if it is rear, damn if I can figure out where to mount it. There aren't any obvious screw hole mounts on the rear black louvered section. And the dealer hadn't had any training, so when they looked at all the sensors & cameras, they gave up & just gave me the bag. I just got my plates in the mail, so now I'm trying to figure out how to mount any of it.

Any ideas if this is front or rear? And anyone have guidance on mounting the rear plate?

View attachment 2935
View attachment 2934
View attachment 2933 View attachment 2937
Looks like what's holding my rear plate on. My front plate had nothing, just the raw plate screwed into the bumper.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts