Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has become clear that the GV60 has broad OTA capabilities. Presumably, it implements the Nvidia system.

Although I've seen nothing from KIa about this, given the shared platform and major components it seems reasonable the same OTA capacity will be available in the EV6.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To me it doesn't make sense to make a totally new e-GMP platform, and then ship the 2 2021/22 models with the computer from the old platform. (EV6/Ioniq 5) And then ship all other e-GMP models with the new computer.

But I don't know. My dealer said OTA would come at some point, but it could just be a load of BS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well apparently "All future Hyundai, Genesis and Kia models will come standard with the Nvidia Drive in-vehicle infotainment system starting in 2022".

No one knows what this means. Will our MY22 orders get it? Will it just suddenly happen at a random point in 2022? Will they even bother doing it before the mid life refresh? Surely, surely, they haven't designed the interior and built a car around the old infotainment system only to throw it out less than a year after deliveries start.

·
Registered
Ordered IONIQ 5, Ultimate AWD, Tech/Eco packs, Phantom Black & EV6 GT Line S, heat pump, Yacht Blue
4 Posts
Well apparently "All future Hyundai, Genesis and Kia models will come standard with the Nvidia Drive in-vehicle infotainment system starting in 2022".

No one knows what this means. Will our MY22 orders get it? Will it just suddenly happen at a random point in 2022? Will they even bother doing it before the mid life refresh? Surely, surely, they haven't designed the interior and built a car around the old infotainment system only to throw it out less than a year after deliveries start.
There’s no reason the interior needs to change with a change in the underlying hardware.

Think of it this way: if you’d planned for your brand refresh model to be based around a particular bit of hardware, but that bit of hardware ends up being delayed for whatever reason (I’m hypothesising here) what do you do? Do you delay your brand refresh, or do you decide to use the previous hardware, but bring out the car on time (ish)?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I looked at the Nvidia system in the Genesis.... night and day difference from that of the EV6. The EV6 is the GEN5W and is still based on android. Doubt it can be updated to Nvidia as it would likely require different hardware. So my concern is that I have this brand new top of the line EV with the last generation of infotainment software that will likely not get too many updates moving forward as they switch everything else to Nvidia drive.

·
Registered
EV6 77kWh RWD Steel Grey (05/22)
89 Posts
I looked at the Nvidia system in the Genesis.... night and day difference from that of the EV6. The EV6 is the GEN5W and is still based on android. Doubt it can be updated to Nvidia as it would likely require different hardware. So my concern is that I have this brand new top of the line EV with the last generation of infotainment software that will likely not get too many updates moving forward as they switch everything else to Nvidia drive.
I am scared of that as well... Don't understand how they did this. Was it the chip shortage?

Even worse if they release a facelift in a year time with Nvidia.

·
Registered
89 Posts
But has anyone actually asked about what's "under the hood"? It makes no sense to me, to adapt the old units for the e-GMP platform. And then make a new system after 1 year.
It does if there is a chip shortage, and you can put old slow chips in cars that are gonna sell anyway and save the better chips for the premium model.

·
Registered
157 Posts
But has anyone actually asked about what's "under the hood"? It makes no sense to me, to adapt the old units for the e-GMP platform. And then make a new system after 1 year.
I've asked, received no answer, or no knowledge, even asked to see if someone with a current EV6 could look at their software and version numbers to see if it might give us an idea. Nothing. Hoping that the hardware is already there but just running the Gen5W version until an update to the nvida drive interface.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've asked, received no answer, or no knowledge, even asked to see if someone with a current EV6 could look at their software and version numbers to see if it might give us an idea. Nothing. Hoping that the hardware is already there but just running the Gen5W version until an update to the nvida drive interface.
One can hope, but we all know deep inside that that's not the case...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I asked my dealer, about OTA uptates and he answered: "Foreløbigt skal du forbi os, men i fremtiden bliver det gennem luften." = "For now, you must [take the trip to the dealer], but in the future it will be through the air."
But i'm 99% sure he doesn't know, and are probable only talking about map updates :LOL: I'll try to contact someone as high up in Kia Denmark as possible :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have just written to the COO of Kia Denmark. Get ready for som bullshit stalling :D
We created a list of issues on a Dutch forum and somebody brought it to the attention of a dealer. Dealer didn't even want to look at it, just send it to Kia was the response.

Might as well print it out and set it on fire. Same result...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts