Kia EV6 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep but having a "2022" car with 2017 hardware and infortainment system feels wrong.

I've ordered one but don't know I i am already regretting it or not. The software is just sooo slow and full of bugs. And when the Nvidia system comes around I fear they'll be dropping development on this as a hot potato.

Why would you invest time into a DOA system when all your other cars, especially all EV's, released from 2022 onwards have the new system.
I ordered the GT Line AWD, but actually cancelled it. Yes, new stuff is coming out all the time, but I would rather have a new software and hardware based EV6 and probably facelifted within 1 year, than the old, outdated Infotainment system there is now, the same as I use in my Kia Optima, only more options and menus in the EV6.I dont mind waiting another year for a more updated version, where OTA updates can indiviually adjust ex. suspension, tweak engine, almost everything in the car, not only the infotainmenet system. Thats on a completely new level and I dont mind the wait at all

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is an issue for me as well. But it is also an issue for Kia.

No broad OTA capability on the EV6 when it is obvious a new system will soon be in place forces people to think. This is a core point in the value of the car. I think it will have a significant impact on the resale value. For me, buying the GV60 is the better option because of this rather than any luxury pitch. The EV6 suits me well otherwise, so a short term lease makes sense.

For several reasons, I believe Kia will move fast to the Nvidia system. A model refresh in a couple of years timetable is out of the question.

-1) EV6 is Kia's halo product and statement of future direction (all EV, competitive with 'upscale' brands).

0) It's already been announced their newly developed cars will use it.

1) The hardware/software is a decoupled component in the architecture, i.e. they can drop it in without changing motors, sensors, displays, etc. I don't know if a new controller system would need government agency recertifications. It doesn't seem to matter for other manufacturers.

2) The Hyundai group (and Kia) are trying to move upscale in the market. Broad OTA capabilities will become table stakes in the argument to spend more. Tesla has been selling that to the early adopters from the start. But it is not just early adopters who will respond to that idea. People now generally understand the importance of upgrades and improvements from their experience with smartphones and computers. In short, OTA capabilities will become a key differentiator and your product won't make the short list without it.

Choice in the attainable EV market is exploding now. Being early to market and investing to make the move to a technically advanced, more luxurious brand is critical for Kia. They have a small window to accomplish that. The Chinese manufacturers will likely soon begin to eat the low end of the EV market in Europe and North America. Most legacy automakers face an existential threat and for many the strategy is to move upscale and be competitive in that market with high volume. Not all of them are going to survive.

I will surprised if Kia doesn't move to Nvidia in the EV6 soon. They might even slipstream it into the current model.

They won't wait long in any case because it will be part of having a competitive product in 2023.
I totally agree in every way. I cancelled my order for the GT Line AWD and will happily wait for the "New EV6". I belive it will be significantly better, because of much better systems to take care of the car

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
746 Posts
My prediction: the same people waiting a year extra because of the current infotainment tech will be disappointed next year that it's still not refreshed; and when it is refreshed, appalled at the bugs being reported because it's bleeding edge early release software that impacts even driving systems. I expect the NVidia Drive -based systems are likely to be troublesome well into 2023.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My prediction: the same people waiting a year extra because of the current infotainment tech will be disappointed next year that it's still not refreshed; and when it is refreshed, appalled at the bugs being reported because it's bleeding edge early release software that impacts even driving systems. I expect the NVidia Drive -based systems are likely to be troublesome well into 2023.
If that’s the case ,all they need to do is buy the Genesis GV60

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,437 Posts
Genesis has already been using the Nvidia Drive in the GV80 and G80 models. So its not like the GV60 will be the first. I would think that any integration into new models across the Kia and Hyundai product line would result in a fairly operational unit as you'd think that they've already went through the learning curve with the GV80 and G80 and ironed out a lot of bugs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I learned today from my dealer, that no Kia EV6 would be delivered with the upcoming new Nvidia system..If thats correct, its disappointing:-/
Confirmed that too.
No 2022 EV6 will be equipped with Nvidia system.
If people were to visit the Genesis GV60 site and compare the capabilities, I do not think many would doubt the Nvidia systems. It appears a significant improvement.
The interface is much slicker. True OTA updating. And dash cam type functionality, which can be recorded on USB or sent to phone!!!
The EV6 should have had this from day one.
I cancelled my order and hoping there is a mid-life 'refresh' early 2023 for the EV6, which includes the new hardware

·
Registered
7 Posts
Confirmed that too.
If people were to visit the Genesis GV60 site and compare the capabilities, I do not think many would doubt the Nvidia systems. It appears a significant improvement.
The interface is much slicker. True OTA updating. And dash cam type functionality, which can be recorded on USB or sent to phone!!!
I cancelled my order and hoping there is a mid-life 'refresh' early 2023 for the EV6, which includes the new hardware
I ha
Confirmed that too.
I have done the exact same thing, and like you, hoping for a revised edition with the new hardware. But he seemed very in doubt if it would reach EV6 at all, new models or not. Now, im hoping for Genesis to start sell in Norway, I know they will but not sure when. I think to that the new system looks superiour..This system in the new EV6 now, would have been a killer option

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
758 Posts
Confirmed that too.
The earliest that the EV6 will get a refresh will be for the 2025 model year. Does that mean that they won't swap head unit hardware in the dash... not necessarily.

The Telluride got an update of the OS on the 21 from what the 20 had but it wasn't a hardware change, just the new OS. I say that there's a 20% chance of a hardware change before 25.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Confirmed that too.
Confirmed that too.
The GV60 is looking like the car of the future

·
Registered
758 Posts
Just wait another 9 months until the next best thing comes out. LOL

It's the life with technology. As soon as we get something in our hands, it's already almost obsolete.

I'm perfectly fine with the great system that it comes with and, honestly, the less people that buy one because they're worried about what board is in the dash, the happier I'll be having a more exclusive vehicle.

It's funny because no one in the reviews are complaining about the OS so it must be fairly good in real life. shrugs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Love the EV6 style. Inside and out.
I am trying to look beyond immediate future.
This going to be my car for the next 6-7 years.
Not hung up on 'tech' for tech sake.
However for those who care to review the GV6 system, I would think surely majority would ask why their EV6 is not similarly equipped.
Built in dash cam alone offers big advantage. Why should I spend another £400 for an aftermarket camera system stuck on to the front and rear windscreen, in a car bristling with cameras? Nuts!
Some folk may be getting big discounts on their EV6 or government subsidies. Bugger all here in the U.K. Trying to spend my £53k wisely

·
Registered
254 Posts

It's the life with technology. As soon as we get something in our hands, it's already almost obsolete.

I'm perfectly fine with the great system that it comes with and, honestly, the less people that buy one because they're worried about what board is in the dash, then happier I'll be having a more exclusive vehicle.

It's funny because no one in the reviews are complaining about the OS so it must be fairly good in real life. shrugs
Honestly I’m not trying to be a smart ass, but is the charging system the heat,and whatever causes the zombie issues with the car controlled by the OS ?
I honestly don’t know but I assumed they are

·
Registered
8 Posts
Honestly I’m not trying to be a smart ass, but is the charging system the heat,and whatever causes the zombie issues with the car controlled by the OS ?
I honestly don’t know but I assumed they were
I honestly do not know. The only thing I would say is if it IS a management system bug, at least if the car had full function OTA updates, it may avoid trip to dealership I guess??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
The earliest that the EV6 will get a refresh will be for the 2025 model year. Does that mean that they won't swap head unit hardware in the dash... not necessarily.

The Telluride got an update of the OS on the 21 from what the 20 had but it wasn't a hardware change, just the new OS. I say that there's a 20% chance of a hardware change before 25.
Hi MurlinatoR,

First, thanks for all of the info you have shared with everybody in this forum.

I do think Kia will move to the nVidia system soon. EV6 probably has been in production development since 2019 and using the systems already in the parts bin makes sense given the initial agreement between Hyundai group and nVidia is mid-late 2019. The stakes are just too high for Kia to treat an upgrade in this area as just a planned improvement in the model evolution cycle.

Also, that rivalry with Hyundai is real.

·
Registered
404 Posts

I'm perfectly fine with the great system that it comes with and, honestly, the less people that buy one because they're worried about what board is in the dash, the happier I'll be having a more exclusive vehicle.

Honestly, I just want Android Auto to use that wide screen or at least to know an update will come to make that possible.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Hi MurlinatoR,

First, thanks for all of the info you have shared with everybody in this forum.

I do think Kia will move to the nVidia system soon. EV6 probably has been in production development since 2019 and using the systems already in the parts bin makes sense given the initial agreement between Hyundai group and nVidia is mid-late 2019. The stakes are just too high for Kia to treat an upgrade in this area as just a planned improvement in the model evolution cycle.

Also, that rivalry with Hyundai is real.
Arent there rumors of the Ioniq 5 already planned for a freshening next year? Perhaps Nvidia Drive will be included with that refresh although it doesn’t sound like it based on this article.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Well, the AA full screen thing is actually an update for Android and not Kia.

Aren't there rumors of the Ioniq 5 already planned for a freshening next year? Perhaps Nvidia Drive will be included with that refresh although it doesn’t sound like it based on this article.

A model "refresh", not a redesign, costs a manufacturer a billion dollars to complete. There is almost zero chance that they will do that after only one year. They need an ROI over a few years before then spend that time and money.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Well, the AA full screen thing is actually an update for Android and not Kia.

A model "refresh", not a redesign, costs a manufacturer a billion dollars to complete. There is almost zero chance that they will do that after only one year. They need an ROI over a few years before then spend that time and money.
You always got to be waking me up from my dreams….let a man dream once in a while. 😜

61 - 80 of 106 Posts