Kia EV6 Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
A model "refresh", not a redesign, costs a manufacturer a billion dollars to complete. There is almost zero chance that they will do that after only one year. They need an ROI over a few years before then spend that time and money.
Ioniq 5 is updating after a year to 77.4KwH battery pack and greater OTA capability.

I'm don't see significant roadblocks to use the nVidia system in the EV6. Physical space for the module is not an issue (the tear down link shows a medium-sized board and module). Same sensors, motors, batter pack, stereo, HVAC, ...

Sure, the software needs to be created and tested. Some development work with nVidia may be needed. However, I seems to me it is basically the same work (with the same sensors, motors, etc.) already completed and in production for the GV60.

A 'refresh' might be hard or expensive if Kia is starting from scratch because Hyundai/nVidia won't share what they already have built.

No way Kia waits for a few years. Every volume competitor for EV6 will have broad OTA capability by 2022. (Unsure about Toyota ...)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Ioniq 5 is updating after a year to 77.4KwH battery pack and greater OTA capability.

I'm don't see significant roadblocks to use the nVidia system in the EV6. Physical space for the module is not an issue (the tear down link shows a medium-sized board and module). Same sensors, motors, batter pack, stereo, HVAC, ...

Sure, the software needs to be created and tested. Some development work with nVidia may be needed. However, I seems to me it is basically the same work (with the same sensors, motors, etc.) already completed and in production for the GV60.

A 'refresh' might be hard or expensive if Kia is starting from scratch because Hyundai/nVidia won't share what they already have built.

No way Kia waits for a few years. Every volume competitor for EV6 will have broad OTA capability by 2022. (Unsure about Toyota ...)
Genesis is already using it in the G80 and GV80 in addition to the GV60 coming soon. YouTube GV80 infotainment.

·
Registered
255 Posts
On occasion companies do things not because of ROI but because of pure need. They may have only ordered so many parts for the old system and be dependent on supply of replacement parts for the new system. It may be possible to design the vehicle to facilitate an easy manufacturing switch even the old infotainment parts are exhausted and new are needed.

I really don't think it's likely, mind you, but I wouldn't abandon all hope 🙂

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well, the AA full screen thing is actually an update for Android and not Kia.
Partially true. Yes, Android needs the update, but that occurred for some models already and I'm sure my Android 12 Pixel 5 has that. The other part needed is for the head unit to report the screen size available to Android for projection. That's the part that is the problem and that's on Kia to update.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
627 Posts
Looks like Kia America is planning on doing TWO updates per year OTA.

It also specifically says "Multimedia" separate from navigation so that leads me to believe that anything controlled by that head unit is game for updates as well.

This could bode well for those of us that are hoping for wireless AA/ACP as well as deeper vehicle modification through the vehicle settings! We will see!

Vehicle Car Automotive design Steering wheel Communication Device

·
Registered
10 Posts
From that I heard, the support for the full screen on AA is 100% client-side (in this case, Kia). Apparently, AA had these screen support for couple of years now. Both Kia and Hyundai needs to pass the right parameter to AA for it to recognize the hardware with the given screen resolution/density. Either way, should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was about to buy Kia EV6 earlier this year, but glad I didnt. Know a friend who have had lots of problems already, though I know ,many people are happy as well. I tried the Xpeng P7 and boy was I surprised. It has Nvidia Drive, full OTA updates across the entire car and drives absolutely Amazing. In my opinion, way more comfortable car than EV6, maybe the best ive driven so far, including Taycan. P7 is a wonder. Yes, EV6 destroys it in fastcharging, but 20-80% in 30 min is ok for me, can have a coffee in the meantime. The Infotainment system in the P7 is way beyond EV6, plus it looks stunning...and, slightly 0.5 seconds slower than EV6 GT

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
627 Posts
I was about to buy Kia EV6 earlier this year, but glad I didnt. Know a friend who have had lots of problems already, though I know ,many people are happy as well. I tried the Xpeng P7 and boy was I surprised. It has Nvidia Drive, full OTA updates across the entire car and drives absolutely Amazing. In my opinion, way more comfortable car than EV6, maybe the best ive driven so far, including Taycan. P7 is a wonder. Yes, EV6 destroys it in fastcharging, but 20-80% in 30 min is ok for me, can have a coffee in the meantime. The Infotainment system in the P7 is way beyond EV6, plus it looks stunning...and, slightly 0.5 seconds slower than EV6 GT
Wonder what happens when the P7 hits something...? China isn't usually too worried about safety.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wonder what happens when the P7 hits something...? China isn't usually too worried about safety.
Well european test standard gives it same safety reading as Tesla.
Porsche joined in the development of this car, as did Bosch/Brembo and from start there has been a huge focus for safety.
Europe (especially Norway),has strict regulations when it comes to safety and how a car must perform. But, as any other car, if you drive careless, it can ofcourse be a catastophe. No car can ever guarantee 100% safety. Why would this be any different than BMW or Mercedes for instance?:)

·
Registered
2021 Tesla MY, EV6 FE
2 Posts
Looks like Kia America is planning on doing TWO updates per year OTA.

It also specifically says "Multimedia" separate from navigation so that leads me to believe that anything controlled by that head unit is game for updates as well.

This could bode well for those of us that are hoping for wireless AA/ACP as well as deeper vehicle modification through the vehicle settings! We will see!

View attachment 1126
It's good to see that they are planning this, but I do think that in a lot of ways Kia has kind of dropped the ball on this front. It is confusing that the Genesis equivalent, and the GV80 both are going to be on NVIDIA Drive while the EV6 and Ioniq 5 are not. The partnership was announced back in November of 2020, which to me would mean they were in discussions for this transition long before that. I also think personally that technology is a huge deal when it comes to EV's; they're marketed as the future. Not just any future mind you, because a lot of that has been dictated/set into public perception by Tesla. Whether or not people like Tesla here is besides the point, they have done a lot to integrate technology (including OTA updates) into their vehicles. With that in mind and the other major competition on the road/soon to be on the road for the EV6 (such as the Mach E), it does feel like maybe KIA did drop the ball on this.

I've been very excited about the prospect of the EV6 (I have an FE coming), but as little details like this leak out, I start to get more and more concerned about it. I do hope that they get proper OTA updates set up for the EV6, and I would love it if they offered a drop in replacement for the existing system to NVIDIA Drive (assuming they aren't coming with it already). Before I got my Tesla, I had an '18 Kia Stinger GT, and I absolutely adored everything about that car save for a few aspects: the abysmal UI, using AA meant no HUD, crappy voice controls, and having to pay for map updates (first one was free, had to pay after that). Technology integration has felt like the biggest Achilles heel for Kia, and I was hoping that would change with the EV6 given how they've marketed it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
New UK/EU update today brings OTA updates people are saying. Maybe the next update will bring Wireless CarPlay using the hidden wifi menus and hardware in the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
New UK/EU update today brings OTA updates people are saying. Maybe the next update will bring Wireless CarPlay using the hidden wifi menus and hardware in the car.
This is only OTA Map/Infotainment updates, and we are not even sure it does this yet! It appears that you may need to buy OTA maps on subscription, but none of this is clear. As for genuine ECU updates as one would expect when talking OTA updates, I think you'll need some extensive (and expensive) hardware changes before this will be possible.

·
Registered
364 Posts
This is only OTA Map/Infotainment updates, and we are not even sure it does this yet! It appears that you may need to buy OTA maps on subscription, but none of this is clear. As for genuine ECU updates as one would expect when talking OTA updates, I think you'll need some extensive (and expensive) hardware changes before this will be possible.
Agreed, that's what it looks like, and I will not be paying for Kia maps, Best to stick to Apple/Google Maps :) they are always better than car maps :). If Kia can get the EV6 updates rolled out with most/all of the large issues fix there would be a need to keep wanting or be looking for firmware updates and people wouldn't need OTA updates, just get on with driving your car. I get that people want to update their cars but it seems to be getting out of hand, it's a car to be driven, not updated like Windows :). I chatted with a BMW i3 owner on this exact subject, the EV community is obsessed with updates and changes to their EVs, not sure why.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts