Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your overall consensus now that you've had your EV6 for a period of time? I know there are some issues that it looks like Kia are working to resolve, but what are you little annoyances?

While we eagerly await the EV6 here in the US, just like to hear your feedback, big or small.

Came across this video and it seems to touch on a few items that iv'e seen here in the forums.

·
Registered
EV6 77kWh RWD Steel Grey (05/22)
160 Posts
I think this video is one that seems to pass a fair judgement. It seems to be a great car, but it's far from perfect. Nothing ever is, but it feels like Kia cut a few too many corners here.

I have one on order, but would I order it again knowing what I know now? I don't think so.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No mass produced car will check all of everyones boxes. Too many variables with each individual. I can over look certain things, like where he points out difficulty to reach into the storage under the center console type of thing. Shouldnt be reaching under there while driving anyway. Otherwise, get out of the seat, lean over and grab what you need. Minor inconveniences with certain things are ok. Alot of it comes down to individual preference. One issue for one, may not be an issue for another. Its the big ticket items that matter to me and how they work to address them. Like the heating issues.

·
Registered
218 Posts
No mass produced car will check all of everyones boxes. Too many variables with each individual. I can over look certain things, like where he points out difficulty to reach into the storage under the center console type of thing. Shouldnt be reaching under there while driving anyway. Otherwise, get out of the seat, lean over and grab what you need. Minor inconveniences with certain things are ok. Alot of it comes down to individual preference. One issue for one, may not be an issue for another. Its the big ticket items that matter to me and how they work to address them. Like the heating issues.
Well said.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The basics of a car are:
It can drive you from A to B.
It can shelter you from the weather.
You can keep it going by adding fuel.

These three basics are all flawed to different degrees in the EV6. Not all cars are affected, but it's the basics that they should've gotten right, with all cars.

There's zombie mode that stops you from driving. There's the heating issue which doesn't warm up the car and then there are those that have defective charging ports.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know whether that was an earlier release of software on his, but mine has charged on anything I've put it on without an issue. The doors can be locked/ unlocked without pressing the key on the fob - you just press the back of the handle in. There is also a menu setting so the radio doesn't come on every time you get in the car. The storage box under the front is actually quite good - my wife likes it for her handbag when driving - its much better than her throwing it in the footwell when I'm a passenger. So I think some of these thing are down to personal taste and hopefully when thy get the car back a lot of the niggles he mentioned will have gone.

However there are two very valid concerns that I suspect kia are working very hard on - I took mine into the dealer and they spent two days playing with the heating, get it going into zombie mode and uploading the data from the car each time to kia head office so they could see what was going on. I suspect they will sort these very quickly as they are major problems. To be honest they haven't spoiled my enjoyment of the car.

The last point is that the UI is a bit dated. To be honest I'm not sure I would want it too new and snazzy looking, I've rather grown to like it - although they do put some options in the weirdest of places on the menu.

My personal summary is I like the car very much indeed. It has an indescribable 'feel' that really elevated it over any other the other similar priced cars I tried. If they sort out the heating and the zombie mode ( won't engage D/R) then I would not hesitate to recommend it.

(After 40+ trips in the car I've had one zombie and one heat loss which was fixed by pressing the heat button or possibly twiddling the knobs - I hadn't read the manual at that stage so just poked things- it may have been caused by user error to be fair. The zombie mode was fixed by locking the car , going into the house to look for the video on resetting it and coming back out again - the most important thing was the dealer and KIA both took the fault seriously rather than brushing me off).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Excellent video and thanks for sharing! It’s great that Kia apparently already have a fix for the heating issue, however I’ve not heard from my dealer about this so can’t confirm!

will be interested to watch the follow up to this video to see if the fixes are actually any good!

and then maybe for my dealer to remove their finger from their rear and get my car booked in for this update!

·
Registered
244 Posts
The basics of a car are:
It can drive you from A to B.
It can shelter you from the weather.
You can keep it going by adding fuel.

These three basics are all flawed to different degrees in the EV6. Not all cars are affected, but it's the basics that they should've gotten right, with all cars.

There's zombie mode that stops you from driving. There's the heating issue which doesn't warm up the car and then there are those that have defective charging ports.
Yeah, but these are not flaws in the design of the car, they are flaws in the construction of certain instances of the car. That's a HUGE difference, because individually-flawed cars can be fixed.

E.g. The ID.4 has 2 window buttons for 4 windows. The capacitive steering wheel buttons are easy to trigger accidentally. Those ain't getting fixed, they're design flaws.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The storage box under the front is actually quite good - my wife likes it for her handbag when driving - its much better than her throwing it in the footwell when I'm a passenger.
The frunk would be useful, if you could open it without opening the car first, getting in the car, pushing a button, grabbing under the hood, before you could access the frunk. This should've been a button on the remote or at least in the app.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What's your overall consensus now that you've had your EV6 for a period of time? I know there are some issues that it looks like Kia are working to resolve, but what are you little annoyances?

While we eagerly await the EV6 here in the US, just like to hear your feedback, big or small.

Came across this video and it seems to touch on a few items that iv'e seen here in the forums.

As previously stated some of the issues are personal taste but there are some more serious issues like zombie mode and heating. Having said that this is not unique to Kia on a freshly designed car. I used to work in the car industry and this is common. I had an £80k X5 and it wasn't without its issues. The main thing is that Kia take it seriously and resolve them as soon as possible. Unfortunately the early adopters are the guinea pigs. It shouldn't be like this but it's reality. It only takes one bad batch of parts (heating inverter) that get through quality control and you have the situation of some customers with issues and some not. I think overall its a great car and I'm sure a lot of the software issues will be solved quickly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The frunk was unfortunantly designed like a regular car.. I can understand from safety perspective they kept it as is.. But I would have preferred that it could have been opened using a remote.
Getting out of the car and gettin the charge cable is nice, but when you return you first have open driver door to get access. Altough it is just seconds, it will take time..

I will use it for all the stuff that you almost never use but always have in the car, Manual, spare glasses, safety harness, kit to pump tires, etc, etc.
Charge cable that I would most likely almost never will use, but easy to keep with me. And in the winter it is a good place to store walking shoes when you return from walking and get in the car with clean shoes :). Then the 10s do not matter at all...

Look for opportunities instead of finding ways that they could have done better. There will always be flaw and always room for improvement. Otherwhise no one would buy a new car and the industry would be dead (altough better for environment )

·
Registered
472 Posts
The review has done us all a favour really as he's set up a follow up so you would have thought Kia would be all over this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The review has done us all a favour really as he's set up a follow up so you would have thought Kia would be all over this.
I think he is going to be a bit disappointed. My dealer thinks the Heater fix will not be available in the UK till next week. The Zombie mode was still being investigated as of Wednesday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think this video is one that seems to pass a fair judgement. It seems to be a great car, but it's far from perfect. Nothing ever is, but it feels like Kia cut a few too many corners here.

I have one on order, but would I order it again knowing what I know now? I don't think so.
Bro, why are you even here? Most of your comments and perceptions are negative. I think you’re already soured to the point where there’s nothing Kia can do to make you happy, even despite fixing half of the issues in this video.

There’s not an EV out there I think you’d be happy with. Perhaps waiting another 5 years where most of the bugs and issues are already worked out would be a better fit for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Apparently the zombie fix is a complete reboot of the entire car. I had that done on Wed, it's too early to tell whether it's worked as Its only been 10 or so trips since then and I only got one in the first 40+ trips. Will try to drive it a lot over the next couple of days to see if it has really fixed it.

·
Super Moderator
518 Posts
Apparently the zombie fix is a complete reboot of the entire car. I had that done on Wed, it's too early to tell whether it's worked as Its only been 10 or so trips since then and I only got one in the first 40+ trips. Will try to drive it a lot over the next couple of days to see if it has really fixed it.
Would be great to hear if its fixed long term, I will be another tick in the box for Kia with a quick resolve to the issues.

As mentioned above if they can sort out the heating and Zombie mode then the other issues are small and people will either live with them or change cars or not buy the car.

Not having heating is a major issues especially those in sub zero climate.

·
Registered
343 Posts
There’s not an EV out there I think you’d be happy with. Perhaps waiting another 5 years where most of the bugs and issues are already worked out would be a better fit for you.
Not one for fighting on forums but, This is the absolute truth and everyone is entitled to have a moan, it's what we do, especially when buying a £50k car in the UK, we moan about broken stuff and value and we want free stuff, what can I say, its the UK for you. Some are happy to wait and happy to wait for small fixes to come out, some are not :). I bet in 5 years when EVs come out from all the car makers there are still issues with stuff. It's not an futuristic alien space craft your buying remember, it is a car, made by humans, robots :p programmed by humans, it's going to have issues which will be fixed I am sure, Kia are good at fixing things. No car maker is without issues, trust me the glove box door in my 2019 Audi A4 fell off one day, just opened and wouldn't close :) it had what's called a recall for fuel rails whatever they are, turbo issues, oil leaks, sat nav is junk but I was happy, it was an Audi, looked great and drive very well... it is nearly a new car from 2019 and only done 24,000 miles but has issues. I am sure other members would share their past experiences as well.

EV6 not having some pre heating or cabin heat is least of our worries :). Lets get the battery range up and battery heating fixed, so it starts to warm on way to get charged, preventing coldgate issues so we get faster charging :). I'll wear a jacket, I'm fine with that.

The video above has text saying, these are now fixed etc etc, Kia are on it, they can't fail now, EV market is getting huge globally, they have a great product here with the EV6, they won't let it down I am certain of it. Yes, small issues will happen. Korean's are miles ahead in the tech/science department it seems, not just with cars, everything, beating the likes of Germany and UK/US to some stuff.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Doesn't really feel like they are ahead but ok. Just disappointed with everything and having to wait more than 6 months just isn't an option for me anymore.

My BMW only has had 1 minor issue in 4 years time. Everything else is just as good as perfect. Unfortunately can't afford the i4.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts